Thread: Team Leader Feature Request List

Arrow Team Leader Feature Request List

Hi Howard,

I was wondering if it'd be possible to add in a way for team leaders to e-mail specific members (or all members) on their team.

Even though our team has its own forum (link) not all of the people who join our team are necessarily aware of this great resource and miss out on important team news, not to mention races and prizes.

I'm not requesting that team leaders be able to view the mails of team members. I was thinking of something along the lines of a text box to type in the mail, and a selection box where multiple members could be selected and a "send mail" button.

Thanks,

Moti
    Last edited by m0ti; 12-19-2002 at 12:10 AM.
    Team Anandtech DF!

I don't know about you, but some people get enough spam as it is...
    Howard Feldman

Senior Member KWSN_Millennium2001Guy's Avatar
    I agree with Howard on this one. Howard has allowed the team leader to post a graphic and link that graphic to an URL. That is enough ability to communicate with your team. It should be up to the initiative of the individual team members to actively find their own team's communication medium if they so desire.

I do receive enough spam, and am happy to report that I have NOT received any new spam caused by my activities in this project.

Ni!

Event though I would also love to be able to email all my teammates to get them motivated or even figure out if they still exist since they've stopped producing... Im gonna add my vote to letting this one go too for now.

Maybe a way to add a small Team News field at the top of the team page that the team leader could post whatever info they wanted.... and hope the team members will stop by there to read it..

Spam is unwanted E-Mails AFAIK; so combine this feature with a possibility to "unsubscribe" from that list (Like the "E-mail me when updates are available" feature). Or limit the number of mails that can be sent per day or week.
    Originally posted by lemonsqzz
    Maybe a way to add a small Team News field at the top of the team page that the team leader could post whatever info they wanted.... and hope the team members will stop by there to read it..
    That would be a good alternative.
    Engage!

Ok,

I hadn't thought of it as spam. But that is a valid view point.

Perhaps it could be limited to one mail per member per week (i.e. each member on a team will get (at most) 1 email a week).

Additionally: where can I set up the pic and little notice? Don't see it on my login page.

Thanks.
    Team Anandtech DF!

Originally posted by m0ti

i.e. each member on a team will get (at most) 1 email a week
    In my eyes that is REALLY HEAVY spam.

I vote for no emailing features at all because there is no "Yes, I want to receive mail from team leaders." checkbox when you join the project or a team (and I hope such a thingy will not be implemented).

Ciao, Michael.

Release All Zigs!
    Originally posted by Bananeweizen
    In my eyes that is REALLY HEAVY spam.

I vote for no emailing features at all because there is no "Yes, I want to receive mail from team leaders." checkbox when you join the project or a team (and I hope such a thingy will not be implemented).

Ciao, Michael.

Not taking sides... but I have to ask what is so inherently wrong with that. If the default is no, and you don't change it to "yes" then doesn't make a difference does it now? =)

I can think of some alternate ideas though:

Imporant Update feature that the message would be approved by the DF project. Limit it to once a month, and anyone abusing it will be removed from the project. Yeah, it seems a little harsh, but people need to learn to grow up...
    The downside is that could potentially add a lot of extra work to Brian et al.

A welcome message when you join a team. Message would be approved by Brian et al. just like links and graphics. Impact on Brian et al. would probably be negligble. I don't imagine this could readily be abused as those on the team would only recieve it once. Would help stop the team-hopping...

A variant on the first suggestion: when the team provided link changes on the team page, notify team members. Impact is probably negligible as I doubt anyone is going to be playing musical links.

Remember that a warning will be issured that anybody blatantly abusing the features will be kicked off the project. That should be enough to stop the general mischief. As all these suggestions require a person to be on the team, and there being no way short of your handle/password stolen to be forced unto a team, the potential for abuse is minimized

Just two cents for the coffer... take it, frame it, leave it, give it concrete booties and push it off the bridge.

Best,

RuneStar½
    The SETI TechDesk
    http://egroups.com/group/SETI_techdesk

Just a thought about the spam:

Do you really think YOUR team-leader would send you spam? I guess almost everybody knows his teamleader (If there is any, AFAIK Free-DC has none, for example).

If your teamleader tends to send spam (and does other nasty things), you are perhaps on the wrong team.

Another possibility would be to send a "private message" to your users, that is delivered via the web-interface of the stats. So, as soon as the user logs in and there is a personal message for him a notification message is displayed (and if the user want's to read the message, there is a little link nearby to display the message in a seperate window).

That would be convenient for the users and wouldn't influence those who don't want to get spam. The negative side about that idea is: it would be much more work to implement than the mail-version.
    Engage!

I really see no point to this discussion. The bigger teams already have forums, linked from their logo on the team page, where they can discuss stuff ad nauseum. If there are people on your team who you don't 'know' and do not paritcipate in your forum, it is more than likely because they don't want to, or don't care. If you don't want them on your team, as a team leader you can kick them off. But they are entitled to their privacy and should be allowed to fold or not fold in peace. If they have stopped producing, that is their business and they should not have to deal with e-mails from you pestering them to come back or what not. I want users to feel that they are free to come and go as they please without having to worry about this kind of harassment, which is ultimately what this will lead to down the road.

Remember that while everyone here is folding as a 'community', everyone is still an individual and it is up to them whether they wish to remain in the shadows or participate in discussions, etc. This discussion forum serves as a great place to start for users to talk to each other and discuss their problems. If someone is not interested in doing so, they should be left alone. If you feel you absolutely must contact someone who you do not have the e-mail for, post a message in this forum, or e-mail us directly and if your reason is sufficient (though I can think of nothing important enough myself) we will try to accomodate and get you in touch with the person.

I will not be swayed from this viewpoint as I have consistently emphasized in the past.
    Howard Feldman

Release All Zigs!
    Howard,

I guess that's the concrete bootie for the suggestions. =) Although, just one question on behalf of those in favor of the whole e-mail thingie... is there anything anyplace that tells people they can click on the graphics to get to the team homepages?

I'm just wondering what makes us assume otherwise that they don't think its just a nice pretty graphic otherwise? =) I don't recall seeing anything on the website instructions or readme about this...

If there is...well, we all have our moments of blindness... if not, some kind of message when they join a team letting them know about that would take you all of about a minute to make some kind of note when they join a team or somewhere along the line as they join up and we don't have to assume.

I only guessed it because I happened to click on the graphics a long time ago just to test it.

BTW, I didn't see anything I didn't hear anything concerning the concrete booties... <disappear into shadows>

RS&#189;

Originally posted by Brian the Fist
    I really see no point to this discussion. The bigger teams already have forums, linked from their logo on the team page, where they can discuss stuff ad nauseum. If there are people on your team who you don't 'know' and do not paritcipate in your forum, it is more than likely because they don't want to, or don't care. If you don't want them on your team, as a team leader you can kick them off. But they are entitled to their privacy and should be allowed to fold or not fold in peace. If they have stopped producing, that is their business and they should not have to deal with e-mails from you pestering them to come back or what not. I want users to feel that they are free to come and go as they please without having to worry about this kind of harassment, which is ultimately what this will lead to down the road.

Remember that while everyone here is folding as a 'community', everyone is still an individual and it is up to them whether they wish to remain in the shadows or participate in discussions, etc. This discussion forum serves as a great place to start for users to talk to each other and discuss their problems. If someone is not interested in doing so, they should be left alone. If you feel you absolutely must contact someone who you do not have the e-mail for, post a message in this forum, or e-mail us directly and if your reason is sufficient (though I can think of nothing important enough myself) we will try to accomodate and get you in touch with the person.

I will not be swayed from this viewpoint as I have consistently emphasized in the past.
    Howard,
    As a happy medium could you not in the next mail-out for the change of protein put in the message a reminder message of the team pages and to look for forums links to stay in contact with your fellow team members. This would not be spam, but a community announcement as part of an email they were already getting
    1st for Overclockers Australia