Thread: Distribution for n values at k=27653

Distribution for n values at k=27653

Hi,

looking at the stats it seems that there is no more priority given
    to the last n values for k=27653.
    Only out of interest. Why did we stop to finish this k with the highest priority as it was done before?

Lars

To me it looks like that K has still priority over other K's. At the moment there is only 1 test pending. If this K didn't have priority, all N's that expired would be returned to the pool, but not assigned yet, since the lowest N available for that K was already well above 2M a couple of weeks ago.

Ok, I confess, I'm the user with the last 27,653 block. I'll leave it running from now on, due to it being the last one, to get it done. It should be done by some time tomorrow. I guess that's what I get for doing several projects on the same computer.

what, there are better projects than sob? I hope seti@home isn't one of them
    EatMaDust

Stop Microsoft turning into Big Brother!
    http://www.againsttcpa.com

Well, yes it is, but it won't be a problem much longer. I got a new computer for Christmas, so I'll be able to run every project must faster once I get it set up correctly.

just make sure you run sob on the FATER computer
    EatMaDust

I love 67607

Re: Distribution for n values at k=27653

Originally posted by ltd
    Hi,

looking at the stats it seems that there is no more priority given
    to the last n values for k=27653.
    Only out of interest. Why did we stop to finish this k with the highest priority as it was done before?

Lars
    Hi Lars,

I think thats due to the change in strategy. Instead of testing one k at a time, we are now testing all of the remaining k's simultaneously, and the max n figures for those k's seem to increase at the same pace.

Since k=27653 was already tested until max n 3.0 million, I "guess" we'll not test it until the remaining k's reach those levels with their max ns (which should be around two months from now with the current pace).

Another "guess" on k=4847. We might start testing for 4847 within two to three weeks or so, provided that the sieving effort reaches a good number of remaining ns to start testing 4847 by that time.

And don't forget, those are just guesses.
    It might turn out to be I'm completely wrong.

Regards,

OrkunBanuTST

Another "guess" on k=4847. We might start testing for 4847 within two to three weeks or so, provided that the sieving effort reaches a good number of remaining ns to start testing 4847 by that time
    4847 is almost sieved up to 1000G (two ranges of 100G are still in progress), and upto 1300G is already in progress.

I think thats further then any of the remaining numbers at this moment.

I love 67607
    Thanks for the info smh. I've been following the sieving thread for a while and I thing you and other friends are doing a great job on that.

While saying "provided that the sieving effort reaches a good number of remaining ns" I was simply assuming other ks were sieved much more by Louie (which seems not to be the case looking at the "28433 sieve" thread).

As for my new computer that I mentioned, I can't keep both of them because my father wants the older one and he bought them both anyway.

OFF TOPIC

Could someone tell me why we Earthers would want to detect and/or contact aliens BEFORE our planetary defenses would be able to fight off an alien? It's probably 50/50 any other lifeform would be hostile, so why take the chance! Sure, little green men would be amazing news, but then what?

Originally posted by Cowering
    OFF TOPIC

Could someone tell me why we Earthers would want to detect and/or contact aliens BEFORE our planetary defenses would be able to fight off an alien? It's probably 50/50 any other lifeform would be hostile, so why take the chance! Sure, little green men would be amazing news, but then what?
    Well, dection would be good, so we can prepare our defences... making contact, on the other hand...

You don't think that if the 'public domain' SETI project actually finds a signal that it will keep the location private do you? Let's say the location is 100 light years away.. some moron will start broadcasting a 'come and be friends' signal immediately (just in case a stray radio wave has not already gotten in that direction)

Then we have a roughly 200 year countdown to doomsday assuming the aliens are smart enough to be travelling at anywhere close to light speed.

SIGH!

I'm afraid it's already too late ... we already are transmitting a beacon. It's called radar (especially military radar which is much stronger), radio, television, mobile phones, radio contact with planes, sattelites and space probes!
    EatMaDust

Any alien species that has the level of technology that we're talking about might think humans are not worth contacting or conquering either one. BTW, My 27,653 unit is 18 packets from completion at this time. By tomorrow it should be done. It's gone a little slower than I thought it would.