Thread: Climate Change Is A Fraud?

You can always tell a Brummie, but you can't tell him much.

Climate Change Is A Fraud?

In case you haven't seen this story already:

'Climate sceptics claim leaked emails are evidence of collusion among scientists'
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...-leaked-emails

Short answer: No.

What the article says is that one group of researchers may have been in collusion to make warming look worse than it is. Maybe. The statements could be interpreted different ways.

Also, "The revelations did not alter the huge body of evidence from a variety of scientific fields that supports the conclusion that modern climate change is caused largely by human activity, Ward said."

There's way too much evidence on way too many different fronts to honestly deny that climate change is happening. There are differences of opinion on (a) what caused it, (b) what the scope of its effects will likely be and (c) what we can reasonably do about it, but it's really here. At least, that's my take on it. YMMV
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

Blog Entries
    Well after all 2012 is almost here
    Grate movie hope it does not come about

You can always tell a Brummie, but you can't tell him much.
    Quote Originally Posted by LAURENU2 View Post
    Well after all 2012 is almost here
    Grate movie hope it does not come about
    London is hosting the olympics in 2012 and they do have to do something to improve on the closing ceremony in Beijing...staging the end of the world does seem a little over the top to me

Seems harmless enough, though it will be interesting to see who admits to what. I didn't really come across anything in that article that shocked me, I'm sure some scientists do take shortcuts and call them "tricks". Don't we all? I don't think a trick has to be something deceptive or false. I'm sure there will be more to come with this story though, with that volume of data it will take some analysing.

This quote DID shock me a little, however:

The computer files were apparently accessed earlier this week from servers at the University of East Anglia's Climate Research Unit, a world-renowned centre focused on the study of natural and anthropogenic climate change.
    The University of East Anglia is something like 3 miles from my home!

Quote Originally Posted by alpha View Post
    The University of East Anglia is something like 3 miles from my home!
    So alpha, where were you earlier this week? Hmmm?

No comment!

Stick to your story! I'll cover for you.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

I think the idea of anthropogenic(God, that's hard to spell, not sure if I'm right, though the automatic spell-check seems to like it) global warming is plausible, but not not so plausible that 100% of scientists would agree with it. I've heard(forget my source, terribly sorry) that 1 in 3 Japanese scientists doubt(as opposed to totally disagree, though I'm sure the ones that totally disagree are hidden in the 1 in 3 number) global warming, which is interesting when you compare it to the 100% number that's supposed to represent the American scientific community. It's especially interesting when you realize that there are probably thousands of scientists that are supposedly included in the tally.

I'm more inclined to trust the Japanese scientists than the American scientists. If I may make a wild-assed guess(meaning I have no faith in this opinion, just throwing it out there) I'm wondering if the politicians want green energy to win out so we can finally kick Saudi Arabia's ass(the ones that really bombed the World Trade Center) without the price of driving our cars shooting through the roof.

Lastly, while I doubt the anthropogenic global warming, I still love the idea of green energy. It would suck if the world suddenly lost the ability to travel cheaply about half a century from now.