Thread: Input wanted on planned new algoritm from users perspective

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Input wanted on planned new algoritm from users perspective

The new more complex algorithm is coming along now, and I wanted to get some input so we can get any concerns out in the open now while its still being built. As currently planned, here are the major changes on the user's side that you would experience:

- resumes where it left off when you quit - it will only upload after a batch of 5000 thus and not everytime you start/quit
    - upload will still be approx. same size as it is now
    - you can quit any time immediately
    - first batch will be 5000 (you have no control, but see above)
    - following batches will be smaller (maybe 200) but take longer to build
    - henceforth we refer to a 'batch' as a generation
    - more points will be awarded for later generation structures to encourage people to get there rather than sticking at generation 0 which is faster to generate - roughly take the sqrt of the gen # to get the scale factor for the points
    - each generation will build from the best structure of the previous generation (i.e. the method is iterative)
    - each CPU/instance will run its own set of independent generations etc. and you 'best RMSD' will be the best from any generation on any CPU/instance, but the latest generation best structure from each CPU/instance will be stored by us
    - when generation 50 is reached, it will restart at zero again
    - server can make cool 'folding movies' from the 50 generations which you can then download and watch
    - as a side effect, each machine will need to be uniquely identified so it will be not be easy to, say, generate on one machine and then upload from another - this is necessary to avoid other nasty potential problems but should not affect people you use proxy servers or firewalls, only physically moving around data will cause trouble.
    - you will at most be able to buffer 50 generations (about 2 days work (maybe)) but this could change

Ill add more stuff as I think of it. Comments and complaints are welcome. Keep in mind some concessions will be necessary to get this new more complicated algorithm to work, which may include alienating some users with special needs.

EDIT:

Actually, I think we can do it without those last two points, so scratch those off
    Last edited by Brian the Fist; 01-15-2003 at 06:06 PM.
    Howard Feldman