Thread: So what you crunching with?

So what you crunching with?

Just joined the folding@home here today. Was wondering what y'all are using to crunch with? I've got a couple quad linux boxes doing a3 cores, and then a couple nvidia gpu's crunching, a 9800GTX+ and a GTS-250. Also have a GTX-275, but I'm waiting for another copy of windoze to arrive to bring that one online. :-)

Hi, Mustard! And Welcome! I haven't crunched F@H for quite a while, but I know there are at least a couple of diehards. Be patient & somebody should notice your post.

PS. If nobody bites after a couple of days, try the Lounge.
    Last edited by Paratima; 05-10-2010 at 03:45 PM.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

Thumbs up

I'm still doing F@H but my now one and only home machine is down. I just don't have the time at home as I'm busy (tho' retired) doing a major project for a college rebuild/re-equip and am in the process of the sale of my was to be retirement home project and completing the buy of my present home. Life is just too complicated so my main machine which runs Boinc and our Prime search on 8 threads with F@H as a backup to other projects and F@H on the graphics card (Sapphire 4850). I will be building a new HTPC as soon as I get some time and rebuilding the other with a new Intel hex core (when i get one sent) and a new board to replace my failed one along with a 5850 when I can source one at a proper price. I have a work laptop but it's too busy to do any DC on and I'm frequently down to my Android phone for email etc until I get time to sort out my old Pentium M work laptop.
    So my DC and results are temporarily unavailable but I will be back on F@H soon as I get time to draw breath. Being retired is worse than working 120 hour weeks and flying God knows where at a moments notice but at least I have my driver back (better job than he had) and excellent expenses even if no formal (60% or worse taxed) salary.
    And I can even touch type comfortably on my new (5in screened) Android/Google phone (with allsorts on) and sleep comfortably when needed in the car or even watch tv/dvds etc whilst traveling and not able to fly.
    Certainly hasn't affected my inability to type short answers anyway but I'm not around Free-DC as much so that's a compensation for most of the guys
    Cheers and beers to Paratima (my new 15MP'ish 20x optical zoom Oyimpus, supplied free as well is fantastic) and to Mustard.
    Kind regards to all as well
    Peter/Shish. enjoying having my son running pubs again and one with some fantastic stables and horses.
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat

yup, retirement turns out to be totally different than what one thinks it's going to be like. I think the number one issue is everyone seems to think that you have the time to do anything they want since you obviously don't have a "job". Reality turns out to be that you have lots of jobs, more than they do. The luxury is that you get to pick and choose what you want to do, no matter whether it pays money or not. Many jobs for retired folks end up being labors of love... which makes all the difference in the world.

So hopefully you'll get your world straightened around there Shish to be what you want it to be and able to get into doing what you prefer to be doing. :-)

I have gotten more into folding than I used to be. But things are evolving all the time. It is really turning out in my opinion to be one of the projects that definitely warrants the donor's time and expense. For one they don't load the system up with "make work" so you know that what you are crunching is work that needs to be accomplished. Another is that they take the time to communicate with the donators/contributors so you are aware of what is going on should you care to take the time to look into what the project is actually accomplishing. And another reason is that it is stable, and has been around a while and has an excellent project management team. And the diseases they are researching on are ones that sooner or later are going to have an impact on just about everyone during their lifetime, if not directly, then upon someone in their circle of family, friends, and acquaintances. :-)

Well my mate (if I may use the term in a Geordie sense ((ask Bok, he does a lot of the work around here along with several others who you know doubt will get along well with )))...my main answer is in my sig. But maybe I should add that I'm prone to saying "I can sort that out" when I should be keeping my gob well and truly shut. However, with the benefit of age and a sudden fall into disability (that's when your doc says you CAN'T eat as much cake or choc as you like and cut the drinking out with the fags and you say "Bogoff" or something similar) it can focus your mind a bit and your priorities. I don't have anything life threatening (mebbe) but it stopped me doing a job I loved and thrived on and left me with some severe physical kinks. Only my mind was not affected except in a purely metaphorical sense of having some time to think about my life the universe and everthing and read a lot of books which have never been out of my life anyway. So, after a gap of a few years ,and with a lot of help, I'm back doing the job I love, but for very good, non-taxable, expenses only and for a cause which both helped me and millions of others. I can say no but along with friends and family supporting me I am now in my "Seventh Heaven" but forced to move on from the majority of my DC interest. I have done the same with other things throughout my life such as pro and ham radio, electronics and computing engineeriing, but I will always continue to a lesser degree probably, with DC and computers whilst marrying them to other long neglected things. I am also writing a book (hence the long posts) after discovering there was an interest in some parts of my life and work but don't hold your breath on that, it ,will take about ten years before it goes to a publisher or it may never get finished.
    Anyway, I can't fly nowadays, so I'm getting ready for a long'ish car/sea journey and will likely not get anything at home sorted before I go. I will still be around to some extent but not active (breathe a collective sigh of relief guys. It was Larry that got me long posting Outlinder and others who remember me from Ars or that's who I'm blaming anyway ) and get on with some serious DC'ing . I will never have the DC power I could use due to being very cost sonscious and savage in my costings at my current work because everything has to be cost effective nowadays even if you're budgeting in the millions of whatever currency costing but at least I have a world wide Android, netbook etc with a constant direct link to home but highly secure www access which I cannot use for normal (ie insecure) use so you won't get rid of me but I will be very occupied. If that sounds complicated, it is and isn't, really.
    So, see you guys sooner than you think . Big Brother is real and is watching everthing for real and go for it Mustard. If I had time I'd try to transfer all my points to Free-DC but in truth I didn't realise I could.
    Kind regards to all,
    Peter aka Shish/Shishcoguy/Shish TDOW.
    PS, I miss the old BBSs but not the bills which limited my post length
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat

I'm currently running:

ATI HD 4870
    C2D E6600
    Athlon XP 2500+

It isn't getting me anywhere near as much credit as it should, but once I've finished 10 of those A3 work units on the SMP client, I'll start getting the bonus credit which will help very much.

Did I miss the fun? Seems like not many are running this now.

Underway on the gpu3 beta client on a GTX-275. Seems to be running okay. Will let that run all night and then go back and finish off the gpu2 unit that's only half done as I started playing with the beta thang. Gonna keep running the gpu2 client on the gts-250 and 9800GTX+ for a while until the core 11 units start fading into the sunset.

Is there any increase in PPD between GPU2 and GPU3?

Don't know yet, but I imagine that there will be some gain somewhere somehow. I have noticed that the completed by date has been moved out farther on the gpu2 units I've been grinding on lately. The gpu3 are only a few days in longivity before their drop dead date.

I stumbled across this thread with GPU3 discussion, including a nice performance comparison (GPU2 vs. GPU3) spreadsheet.