Thread: Outlnder joining

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Outlnder joining

I've noticed that outlnder has joined Free-DC in many projects. But, while his scores have left Ars Technica, they have not really moved to Free-DC. Is there a reason for this??

One can see his scores in the stats for Free-DC, but they are not actually being added.

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    In BOINC projects the score you get whilst part of a team remains with that team (with the exception of Climate Prediction). Your team only gains the points you crunch whilst with that team.

Great to see Outlnder here, we have pretty good relations with most all of the users at ArsTechnica.

Outlnder

So then, why didn't he move over with 0 points. What is the purpose of showing him #1 on Free-DC in PrimeGrid at 11+ million points?

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Because with the export of data from the projects they don't split a users data between the teams they contributed to, so there is no simple way to do it. Sure it is *possible* to store the data as movement is made but it would be incredibly convoluted and potentially data intensive to try to hold the individual totals. Instead of one row per user per project I would have to store multiples.

I do, however store what their points total was in moving into the team

here for instance.

Note that BOINC project pages themselves don't differentiate it so it shows Outlnder as the #1 on the team correctly

It might be interesting to have a page showing individual movement though. I can easily do that, that same page would show the contributions to each team.

Code:
    mysql> select stat_date,fromteam,toteam,metric1,team from boinc_movement where proj = 'pgrid' and id = 3550 order by stat_date;
    +------------+----------+--------+-----------------+--------------+
    | stat_date  | fromteam | toteam | metric1         | team         |
    | 2008-04-16 |        0 |    182 |   648544.829434 | Ars Technica |
    | 2010-04-29 |      182 |      0 | 11738191.796552 | NULL         |
    | 2010-05-09 |        0 |     95 | 11765627.126508 | Free-DC      |
    3 rows in set (0.05 sec)
    Bok

I just don't think it is right for outlnder to be #1 on Free-DC's teams when he didn't contribute anything to Free-DC. His Free-DC team total should be 0 until he has contributed fro Free-DC.

19 primes found. The largest: 1351*2^617684+1 (185945 digits)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWayne View Post
    I just don't think it is right for outlnder to be #1 on Free-DC's teams when he didn't contribute anything to Free-DC. His Free-DC team total should be 0 until he has contributed fro Free-DC.
    Surely you didn't think that BOINC was perfect did you?????
    There's lots of warts with the system, but that's what it is. Unfortunately as Bok said, there isn't any reasonable realistic way to handle this within the confines of the system design.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWayne View Post
    Let me see if I can shed a little light on this subject since I showed up here not too long ago with shall we say a whole pocket full of credits.

First of all the total credits is the number he has earned not the team. If you change teams every month you will always take your total credit with you. If you have never been on a team but have a lot of credit then when you join a team that credit shows up in the team total. In this case he came from another team so his credit stayed with the other team. The credit he earns while a member of this team counts toward the team total but his total credit will always be his because he has earned it.

When you look at the stats you will see the members of the team and how much credit they have earned not how much they have earned for the team.

If you look here you will see that the team has a total credit for Milkyway of about 80,000,000. If you scroll down and start adding up the individual totals you will see that it is much more than 80Mil. This is because outinder and myself had a bunch of credit before joining here.

Schools out now.
    outinder, first beer is on me.
    19 primes found. The largest: 1351*2^617684+1 (185945 digits)