Thread: Some things you should all know about.

Angry Some things you should all know about.

I discovered a few things this morning that I want to share with all of you. It started with this statement from the DNETC web site.

Own statistic for each user
    Now every user has its own statistics on www.distributed.net and crunch on its own account 'xyz@dnetc.net' (Where 'xyz' is your BOINC nickname without special characters) I added in section 'Cross-project statistics' in 'Your account' link to distributed.net statistics 2 May 2010 11:29:47 UTC
    I followed the link and discovered that all of us using DNETC have been added to the DNETC team on distributed.net and as of now I've found no way to change that. If you look here you'll see that we've all been added to the DNETC team. I clicked on the Email password link but they obviously didn't use my email when signing me up for this.

This not only affects the stats but I discovered this is a pay project. The prize is $1000 for the individual that solves the problem. I currently have a 1 in 186 chance of doing this. There is also a $1000 prize for that persons team. Should I find the correct key I would want the team money to go here not DNETC.

I left a message on the message boards at DNETC. Until I find a way to change to the correct team I'm pulling the plug.
    19 primes found. The largest: 1351*2^617684+1 (185945 digits)

Does this mean the Challenge is over??

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWayne View Post
    Does this mean the Challenge is over??
    It means that you need to make your own choice if you want to continue considering the information I posted above. I've pulled all my machines off this project until they can resolve the issues I have with it. It's up to each individual to decide what they want to do.

Now!

Now is the time I step in and say that this is just like the YoYo wrapper implementation of the dNET clients. I hope you're all happy that you didn't get credit as the Free-DC team.
    Last edited by Angus; 05-11-2010 at 10:39 PM.

That's why I posted this. Maybe I should have been clearer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha View Post
    That's why I posted this. Maybe I should have been clearer.
    Next time if you leave Out

Still no word from Dnetc on how to access the accounts on distributed.net.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Now is the time I step in and say that this is just like the YoYo wrapper implementation of the dNET clients. I hope you're all happy that you didn't get credit as the Free-DC team.
    True, but the wrapper is done by dnetc itself, not a third party.

Other than all BOINC dnetc participants being combined into the dnetc team, the work is righteous. I'm not saying this is right, just that the dnetc project has not been hijacked by a third party.

Other than all BOINC dnetc participants being combined into the dnetc team, the work is righteous. I'm not saying this is right, just that the dnetc project has not been hijacked by a third party.
    I never said that there was a third party involved. DNETC@HOME runs the distributed.net GPU RC72 application inside a BOINC wrapper by DNETC@HOME.

Instead of letting the participants apply the stats to their own distributed.net accounts and teams, DNETC@HOME has hijacked all the stats for their own team. Exactly like yoyo did for his wrapped version of the OGR client.

I think people are throwing around some confusing terms here, and clarification is required. If someone uninformed reads this thread they could very easily be deceived.

The team which run the distributed.net projects (OGR-27 and RC5-72) are nothing to do with any BOINC project currently running. The name of the distributed.net native client is "dnetc", and again, this is nothing to do with the unofficial BOINC project named "DNETC@Home" which is just a wrapper for the native client, made by some third-party (just like yoyo@home).

Even though these BOINC projects have their own statistics, the official statistics are the only ones you should be looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha View Post
    Even though these BOINC projects have their own statistics, the official statistics are the only ones you should be looking at.
    And there is where the real problem is. Instead of showing us gaining credit for our teams, the dnetc@home boinc team is getting all the credit. The admins at the project are ignoring the problem and hoping it will go away. I won't let that happen. I'm semi retired and have nothing better to do.

It is time to turn up the heat over there. The following is a way to do that if you feel like letting them know how you feel by simply clicking your mouse.

1. Go to your account on dnetc@home.
    2. Click on the link to your distributed.net stats.
    3. Click on the email me my password link at the bottom of the page.
    4. Repeat as many times as you desire.

Let's see if 100 people click 20 times that creates a huge volume of either undeliverable or junk email. The more the merrier.

Blog Entries
    I did just that a few days ago because I did not see a way to contact or call any one there

Quote Originally Posted by LAURENU2 View Post
    I did just that a few days ago because I did not see a way to contact or call any one there
    Make it a daily routine until they respond.

They have responded

Not-so-friendly response from the project admin

Ok we must clarified few things:

DNETC is wrapper based on BOIONC platform so you gain points in BOINC.

Making user account on distributed.net for each user registred on DNETC was made only for distributed.net devs to track users who make errors in computing.

If somebody is realy intrested in making points on distributed.net - please register there, download app and crunch.

This topic will be never discussed again.

Repeating this topic will erease points on account of every person posting without any warning.

Blog Entries
    Your right Not-so-friendly response from the project admin
    Dnetc webpage is gone from the internet http://www.dnetc.net/

We got an answer.

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Yes indeed it is an answer and well from my POV it's a BIG "Screw You" which isn't exactly very nice, the best way to answer would be to dump the project and crunch something else on Boinc or put a P150 on it using the native (non-boinc) client.
    If I was crunching this I'd dump it and post it on the forum as well:
    Title "So Bite Me!"
    Message: Like the title says BITE ME, Reset my points if you want this is the actions of a 5 yr old who's not getting his favourite toy to play with or his own way... It sucks that your are in effect STEALING my hard earned points that should go to "Me and MY team" not This team, since well hmm can't see any way to change the team unless you've got the team stats for this hidden away somewhere. I'm off to find a project or 2 worthy of my CPU/GPU time that doesn't steal the points for another team which I didn't choice.
    Forever Free-DC.
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..