Thread: Has anybody else been experiencing Buffered Structures not uploading?

Question Has anybody else been experiencing Buffered Structures not uploading?

I have had buffered structures just sitting on two boxes! I have closed down DF and restarted it again to no avail . . .the structures just don't wanna upload!

Jammy
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
    --William James

Seventeen or Bust: Team Prime Rib

screenshot

Here is a screenshot.

Jammy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
    --William James

DON'T PANIC.

There is some problem reaching the DF site just now. As a matter of fact, for a few hours, judging by the number that I have buffered up. The client will just keep on buffering. When DF Central is accessable again, they'll upload just fine.

Senior Member KWSN_Millennium2001Guy's Avatar
    I can't get to the Distributed Folding servers at all right now.

Maybe there are DNS problems or maybe the server is down.

Yah. I just noticed that the last time Dyy's stats updated was 2100 EST. So it's been hung up 3-4 hours now.

Betcha a nickle that Howard's in bed now & it'll stay this way till morning.

I don't think it's DNS, cause ping interprets ftp.mshri.on.ca - just gets no reply.
    Last edited by Paratima; 01-30-2003 at 01:17 AM.

heh . . .oh well . . .ECC2-109 just got to be a bore :sleepy: and anyways . . .DF is much more fun . . .just wish that those structures would upload

Jammy

Originally posted by Paratima
    Yah. I just noticed that the last time Dyy's stats updated was 2100 EST. So it's been hung up 3-4 hours now.

Betcha a nickle that Howard's in bed now & it'll stay this way till morning.
    --William James

I finally get my No net boxes ready to upload by doing a big copy over, and now the server is down...

would be right... I hope the 24hrs gets extended so the old structs will still count...

Do u think Howard will do that ???

I don't think it's DNS, cause ping interprets ftp.mshri.on.ca - just gets no reply.
    I'm getting unknown host.
    Still no word from Howard or project, so it's not nice, whatever the problem is.

New message on my XP 2200!

Checking for newer versions...MAIN SERVER IS DOWN FOR PROTEIN CHANGEOVER

Please try again later. Press Enter

My DF will not even start up on my XP 2200 now! Heh . . .I already updated my new protein on Tuesday!

Jammy
    --William James

That post you quoted, IB, was made at oh-dark-hundred and I may have not been 100% on top of it. Ya know?

Anyhow, in the glaring light of day (GOD, I love Florida!), it doesn't look like Howard's problem.
    Traceroute only gets me as far as Atlanta!

Could be more of the nasty guys bunging up the 'net. Anybody heard anything?

Jammy, just tell it to nonet (-if) and it'll run and buffer 'em up.

it seems to be back up, from here anyway
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Yeah. I've got units uploading as of 8.53AM PST.
    Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

None of mine have uploaded.

Jammy

Originally posted by Chinasaur
    Yeah. I've got units uploading as of 8.53AM PST.
    --William James

My the big spike in my output I assume my nets got thru at home... the work on is doing ok aswell.. hopefully I'll get the credit for the old protien....

as I had a fairly large dump...

Red face

That is great! My dumps weren't that large . . .in all around 15 file sets were buffered.

Jammy

Originally posted by Alpha_7

as I had a fairly large dump...
    --William James

That post you quoted, IB, was made at oh-dark-hundred and I may have not been 100% on top of it. Ya know?

Anyhow, in the glaring light of day (GOD, I love Florida!), it doesn't look like Howard's problem.
    Traceroute only gets me as far as Atlanta!

Could be more of the nasty guys bunging up the 'net. Anybody heard anything?

Jammy, just tell it to nonet (-if) and it'll run and buffer 'em up.
    No offense and I understand
    I posted my traceroute in the DF forum... sorry
    /me spikes the ball
    1,465,776 in one big FLUSHshshshsh
    Gotta love it!

Red face

Ya know Paratima . . .I have thought about no-netting at times but have forgot how to do it! The dfGui seems to not let us do that. If I remember correctly, when I first started running df (without a GUI) I no-netted it and then hide it with my HideIt, but I have forgotten how to do it now.

Could you please refresh me on the procedure?

Thanks,

Jammy

Jammy, just tell it to nonet (-if) and it'll run and buffer 'em up. [/B]
    --William James

Sure, Jammy. Too late for this crisis, but, who knows?

With dfGUI, it's really easy. Stop DF. Go to the configuration bit that says, "Disable Net Access" or words to that effect. Select it. Save it. Restart DF.

If you're running non-dfGUI, just be sure that the string in foldit or foldit.bat that actually starts foldtrajlite contains the option -if which means "set Internet access False (or off)".

When the client starts with that option, whichever method you use to set it, it doesn't try to talk to the server at all, even to verifying the version. That way you can get (re)started even when the hospital is on fire.

When you finally get ready to "dump", just stop DF, unclick the option or remove the -if, restart, & you're in business.

Thanks! I tried the "Disable Net Access" option if the dfGUI and it did not work! Is it because I have a 24/7 connection?

Jammy

[B]Sure, Jammy. Too late for this crisis, but, who knows?

With dfGUI, it's really easy. Stop DF. Go to the configuration bit that says, "Disable Net Access" or words to that effect. Select it. Save it. Restart DF.
    --William James

No, it should work regardless of the connection. How do you know it didn't work? Was there an error message? Did it just connect anyway? Heh, are you sure? I need a little help here.

Oh, and which version of dfGUI do you have?

You usually have to close DFgui and reopen it to take affect, or so I've found..

heh . . .I have done that three times and no go.

Jammy

You usually have to close DFgui and reopen it to take affect, or so I've found..
    --William James

Jammy, the only other thing that I can think of is that dfGUI isn't able to write out its option file, dfgui.ini. Make sure it isn't write-protected and that it's in the same directory with dfGUI.

Alternately, you could try NOT using dfGUI, just to see if it makes a difference. Use Notepad to edit the foldit.bat file in the DF directory. Find the line that looks like:

.\foldtrajlite -f protein -n native -df -qt -rt

...and stick a -if on the end. Save the file and run foldit.bat. It should take right off without accessing the 'net. You can test this by temporarily pulling the plug on your 'net connection. DF should fire right up & start crunching proteins.

Report back. I'll check this thread again in the ayem.

Thumbs up Thanks Paratima!

Hmm . . .well I'll be . . .changing to "Disable Net Access" did work after all! I am testing (caching) on the XP 1900.

But, I have printed out your editing directions for foldit.bat in case I ever need them in the future.

Jammy

[B]Jammy, the only other thing that I can think of is that dfGUI isn't able to write out its option file, dfgui.ini. Make sure it isn't write-protected and that it's in the same directory with dfGUI.
    --William James

If you change one of the DF client options you have to re-start the DF client for it to work as the GUI will re-write the foldit.bat file with the options you have checked when it launchs the client. If the client is already running, those settings won't take effect until you re-start the client with the "Start" button.

The dfGUI.ini file does not get updated until you either close it or click on the "Save Config" button.

What options in particular do you ahve to close dfGUI and restart it to take effect?

Jeff.

Jeff . . .I got it to work thanks to Paratima reminding me . . .I just wanted to try the nonet option .. .thanks anyway . . .

Jammy

Originally posted by Digital Parasite

What options in particular do you ahve to close dfGUI and restart it to take effect?

Jeff.
    --William James

quote:

what causes that and how do you fix it ?

i have that problem on my linux box
    i can ping ibm.com and get there ip, but my df clients not uploading
    Wha you talkin to me

Distribfold B0xen
    duron 1.3 & duron 800
    total = 2.1 ghz

Hmmm. I'm not sure that's even the right address anymore. I can't ping it, but the box I tried from just uploaded fine!

Address must have changed. We'll have to figure out some new diagnostics.

Sometimes the Servers are bogged down receiving WUs. If it happens for short periods of time, no problem.
    If they never upload and you have used the -df option, it will stop working when you have about 60 WUs cached.
    If you use the -if option, it will work until you run out of HDD space.
    You can transfer (move) all the *.val.bz2 files and the filelist.txt to another computer and upload them that way.