Thread: Client not Autoupdating to new Protien

Client not Autoupdating to new Protien

Has anyone had a client successfully autoupdate to this new protein? The last protein autoupdated fine but this far none of my 20+ servers have switched over.

I am running 10 clients...none of which have auto-updated. Howard thinks it may be to do with my ISP's proxy caching the "No new updates" page.
    Train hard, fight easy

All of mine auto updated with no problems.

Both of mine updated just fine...

Mine updated, but it took some effort. The http://www.distributedfolding.org/server.status page the client queries was displaying incorrect values (This was direct from distributed folding -- Not my proxy) for several hours yesterday. I tried refreshing the page later yesterday evening, and it had been corrected. It's very possible this page is cached on a proxy somewhere. If DF could send the HTTP request differently, perhaps it could avoid some of the proxy caching problems (as well as the need for a proxy.cfg for transparent proxies without userauth)...I can surf just fine with a web browser not configured to use the transparent proxy (all requests to port 80 are routed through the proxy by my firewall), but DF needs to be configured? Surely the web browser sends a different HTTP request to overcome this.

www.amdusers.com
    All 7 failed - needed to download client fresh and re-install. Nuisance ++++.

Re: Client not Autoupdating to new Protien

Originally posted by bguinto1
    Has anyone had a client successfully autoupdate to this new protein? The last protein autoupdated fine but this far none of my 20+ servers have switched over.
    bguinto1, I might suggest with 20 machines that it is easier for you to use the auto-update daemon on your network. I have had the same problem in the past and not that long ago I had 200+ machines dedicated to DF and updates were a nightmare until I started using the auto-update daemon
    1st for Overclockers Australia

I had 7 machines in 2 locations running during this last changeover (at 2 locations).. and they all worked fine. (although downloading the new client was really slow.. so I stopped 2 that were busy doing it, and copied the downloaded client from the first machine that downloaded it.)
    If I have as many machines sitting around during the next changeover, I'll give the download proxy another try.. (at the site with most of the machines).

Word is we'll be getting more bandwidth in a few months which may make the slow downloading a problem of the past. We'll let you know if anything develops.
    Howard Feldman

Howard, does the client do any re-tries when trying to find an update on your servers? It seems that my clients do not "wait" long enough to see if there really is an update. My clients did not autoupdate until 2-3 days after the release of the the new protein.

Is there a way I can have the client do a set number of retrys for an update before it gives up and starts folding away?

You can keep quitting and restarting it... otherwise it does not retry, no. Unfortunately the networking library I use there is not 'well documented' so I'm not completely sure what its doing or how to use it 100%, it seems to do the job for most cases and does have the benefit of being completely platform independent which is the main reason I use it...
    Howard Feldman