Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to vBulletin 4

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries

Smile Upgrade to vBulletin 4

Finally upgraded the forums to version 4 and integrated with an updated vbAdvanced rather than try to figure out the new CMS system available.

Gopher did a great job of learning the new style systems as you HAVE to redo them from scratch. He has done the Free-DC default one and the Seventeen or Bust styles. You may have to select them again though I've made the SoB one default for their forums. They are slightly different but hopefully not too different.

Quite a few new features available and I'll explore those..facebook integration will likely scare many people.

There are bound to be some issues so feel free to point them out and we'll endeavour to at least answer if not fix them..

Bok
    Last edited by Bok; 08-19-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Freaked me out for a minute when I came back today. All of the BOINC News and Distributed Proofreader feeds are now showing up in the "New Posts" link again. Is there any way you can disable those forums again like you had before? Or is there something I have to do on my end?

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Yeah Bok, Good Job there now all we need to do is a few minor style tweaks as it is hard to discern what is read / new on the forum - also forum Front page needs fixing so it don't point to that blank CMS job
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Parasite View Post
    Freaked me out for a minute when I came back today. All of the BOINC News and Distributed Proofreader feeds are now showing up in the "New Posts" link again. Is there any way you can disable those forums again like you had before? Or is there something I have to do on my end?
    DP will look and fix.. it's a stupid issue I'm sure..

DP I've looked it's not the "recent threads it's showing up in it's a new News thread that is appearing below and because no new threads really it appears that way. I'll work on a way to put in a obvious Template Split.

Blog Entries
    Did you fix it? It's just a setting in vbAdvanced where you choose which forums are included for the recent threads. Shouldn't have changed and I don't see those posts at all? The 'News' widget underneath contains only threads from a few select forums. None of this should have changed.

p.s. I can't figure out the facebook connect piece, doesn't seem to point to anywhere. Still looking at that.

Blog Entries
    ah, think I understand the facebook bit, I have to create a new application first..

I did spot a bug which I should have fixed or found where it's the "Home" button points to the wrong place... I'll have a look at the scary Facebook interlink.

Blog Entries
    Facebook connect is enabled. I've connected them up for my user. I'll have to submit the application over at facebook but that's simple.

I just tried the 'like' on this thread and it shows up

And I was just getting comfortable with the old system. You may want to look at the permissions though. It says that I can not post new threads. Overall an improvement.

Looks like the Video in BB Code is turned off. I was going to do your first embedded video but all I get is a link. Enjoy it anyway.
    19 primes found. The largest: 1351*2^617684+1 (185945 digits)

Update: The video problem onls seems to be in this thread. Others seem to let it work correctly.
    19 primes found. The largest: 1351*2^617684+1 (185945 digits)

Blog Entries
    Where did you try and post? Some forums like the 'news' one this is disabled for posting except for admins. Video too might be on a per forum basis. Try the lounge?

code is as follows replacing the {} with []

{video=youtube;eOUq4Z6R7xI}http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOUq4Z6R7xI{/video} from bbcode examples

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    Update: The video problem onls seems to be in this thread. Others seem to let it work correctly.
    Indeed, though I'm not entirely sure why as the permissions are mostly the same..

Shiny. This will take some getting used to.

Hmm still need to work on some thread colors I can see, in the quotes and other places...oh well more work We'll get it down and working.. If you keep getting logged out, clear the Free-dc cookies

Crazy Old Man
    LoL it freaked me out for a few seconds, somehow it would not let me go to the home of the forum for some weird reason
    It opens some message that i am not allowed or not have done the activation
    When i pressed the home on that warning i finally got to the forum main page

now i still have a problem to get the statstool working, and i can't change the current theme somehow which won't let me see an option to save cookies nor does it see me logged onto at the statstool on the forum
    Last edited by uBronan; 08-20-2010 at 07:17 PM. Reason: added errors

Quote Originally Posted by uBronan View Post
    LoL it freaked me out for a few seconds, somehow it would not let me go to the home of the forum for some weird reason
    It opens some message that i am not allowed or not have done the activation
    When i pressed the home on that warning i finally got to the forum main page

now i still have a problem to get the statstool working, and i can't change the current theme somehow which won't let me see an option to save cookies nor does it see me logged onto at the statstool on the forum
    uBronan - open your broswer and clear all the free-dc.org cookies out and then come back here then statstool will work .

Crazy Old Man
    I will try
    poor me but somehow i get constant this :

. Advanced SearchvBulletin Message.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vBulletin Message
    uBronan, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1.Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2.If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    Log Out Home

Now this shows after i login to the forum
    It does not open the home of the forum for some reason, when i press the bottom home it does bring me here
    When i click on the statstool configuration it says i am not logged to the forum, even though i clearly auto logon to the forum again now
    And i see the new cookie in the browser storage map, i even cleared it a few times to make sure this was done proper.
    And i used both browsers for this action ie8 and firefox and in both have the same issue,
    although in ie i can see the remember me message just above the blue bar but don't see if i set it or not
    Last edited by uBronan; 08-20-2010 at 07:54 PM. Reason: problem still exist

Yeah I'm working on where in the templates that is as it goes to / or /content.php need to try and fix that might just do a redirect

Crazy Old Man
    Yes something is wrong with the place where Home directs to, since it seem to point somewhere we or me don't have rights to view somehow.
    Although its a bit annoying i am certain you'll find the solution soon.
    But not being able to access my stats page is for me more important, i can see all the info stored in the cookie, so its amazing that statstool configuration don't see it and bugs me to logon the forum while i am actually posting these

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gopher_yarrowzoo View Post
    Yeah I'm working on where in the templates that is as it goes to / or /content.php need to try and fix that might just do a redirect
    And gopher / Bok also in the stat pages http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?p...d79febe1b85a39
    The forum Button redirects you to home http://www.free-dc.org/forum/ not the forum http://www.free-dc.org/forum/forum.php

Quote Originally Posted by LAURENU2 View Post
    And gopher / Bok also in the stat pages http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?p...d79febe1b85a39
    The forum Button redirects you to home http://www.free-dc.org/forum/ not the forum http://www.free-dc.org/forum/forum.php
    Fixed, now points in the right place although we may change it back once we sort out the URLing of this new forum it is a BIG step up from the old one, so bare with us.

http://www.free-dc.org/forum still points to the "No Permissions" page.
    vBulletin Message
    Angus, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1.Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2.If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    Also, is there a way to make the new message window any bigger? It's only 5 lines tall, and makes it difficult to see the whole message.

Blog Entries
    I altered the settings for the CMS to have it point directly to www.free-dc.org in effect bypassing the CMS altogether as we are using vbAdvanced instead. Angus, when you say message window are you referring to the Quick Reply ?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    http://www.free-dc.org/forum still points to the "No Permissions" page.

Also, is there a way to make the new message window any bigger? It's only 5 lines tall, and makes it difficult to see the whole message.
    Hmm that's due to the way vB 4.0 now works it points to a "articles" page rather than the forum index by default we are trying to fix this.. the no permission thing is probably due to user rights.. I'll look it shouldn't be doing that, you should just be seeing articles.
    You mean the quick reply window? If so Go advanced it gives you the older style box that well needs work on it I think maybe a little

I've also fixed the permissions on that page so that no more errors should occur - people couldn't see the page as they had no permission to see it thus the error.

Crazy Old Man
    Good job guys this morning when i logged onto the forum it directed me instant to the forum
    But i still can not enter the statstool it still says me to logon to the forum so somehow it does not see the cookies present on my pc.

Good job guys this morning when i logged onto the forum it directed me instant to the forum
    But i still can not enter the statstool it still says me to logon to the forum so somehow it does not see the cookies present on my pc.
    There is an issues with the cookies and Internet Explorer not sure exactly why but I'm coding now to try and see why meanwhile if you can switch to firefox and try that I know it works there...

Blog Entries
    Can you try again? I believe I have fixed it...

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    Can you try again? I believe I have fixed it...
    Confirmed, Checked with IE7 / XP 64 and I'm logged in on the stats

DP will look and fix.. it's a stupid issue I'm sure..

DP I've looked it's not the "recent threads it's showing up in it's a new News thread that is appearing below and because no new threads really it appears that way. I'll work on a way to put in a obvious Template Split.
    Any new news on this issue? For me it is showing up in the "New Posts" button that you pick from the top.

Blog Entries
    The answer is 'not easily' - this is a function of vbulletin itself. I could modify the header template to exclude forums I think, or there was a mod available previously to allow it, I don't know if it's been updated to vb4 but will take a look when I get a chance. I'm not a huge fan of mods as they tend to make upgrades more difficult...

However, if you go to the front page - http://www.free-dc.org which is vbAdvanced, that does indeed have this feature and the main widget which shows new posts does not include those forums.

Crazy Old Man
    haha nice Bok almost fixed completely

When i am logged on the forum i can see on the stats page i am logged but something is not right yet at the statstool configuration, when i click on that it still responds :
    Statstool Stats

FAQ

It doesn't appear that you are logged in... Please log in to the Free-DC forum

But lol on top it clearly shows that i am logged on and when i click on stats cpid and your stats all looks well
    so your almost got it fixed xD

Great job for getting most of it to work again

haha nice Bok almost fixed completely

When i am logged on the forum i can see on the stats page i am logged but something is not right yet at the statstool configuration, when i click on that it still responds :
    Statstool Stats

FAQ

It doesn't appear that you are logged in... Please log in to the Free-DC forum

But lol on top it clearly shows that i am logged on and when i click on stats cpid and your stats all looks well
    so your almost got it fixed xD

Great job for getting most of it to work again
    Force Refresh the webpage bet it is using the old code even although it should have grabbed the new stuff...
    Works for me in IE 7, IE 8 and FF 3 might either be stale code or a stale cookie...

It's just a setting in vbAdvanced where you choose which forums are included for the recent threads. Shouldn't have changed and I don't see those posts at all? The 'News' widget underneath contains only threads from a few select forums. None of this should have changed.

However, if you go to the front page - http://www.free-dc.org which is vbAdvanced, that does indeed have this feature and the main widget which shows new posts does not include those forums.
    Ok, on the main page I see the 10 most recent posts. Is there a way to see more than 10 in case there are more new threads than that?

Blog Entries
    Your wish is my command

Actually it's configurable but only for display on that one widget, there is no link to go elsewhere. I've set it to 50, but limited to only the last 2 days. I might move the 'news' bit above it though in case it gets long.

Let's see how that goes.

*EDIT* actually I could create a subpage from vbAdvanced showing a longer list.

Actually it's configurable but only for display on that one widget, there is no link to go elsewhere. I've set it to 50, but limited to only the last 2 days. I might move the 'news' bit above it though in case it gets long.

Let's see how that goes.
    *EDIT* actually I could create a subpage from vbAdvanced showing a longer list.
    Thank you Bok.

Ooo, a subpage sounds good, and then you could set it to more than 2 days as well. Right now I see the recent posts block is at the bottom of the page now, but it is only showing 2 messages, both from Aug. 28th and not this thread for example (I guess because it was done on the 27th so more than 2 days ago). People coming back from the weekend might need a 3 day window to catch up on Monday.

Blog Entries
    This thread doesn't show because it's in the news forum which is one of the few excluded from the recent posts..

I'll move it to the lounge I think.

Hmm that's due to the way vB 4.0 now works it points to a "articles" page rather than the forum index by default we are trying to fix this.. the no permission thing is probably due to user rights.. I'll look it shouldn't be doing that, you should just be seeing articles.
    You mean the quick reply window? If so Go advanced it gives you the older style box that well needs work on it I think maybe a little
    The "Reply" or "Reply with Quote" buttons at the bottom of each post have an entry window only 5 lines tall.

Using "Go Advanced" logs me out.

Using the browser "back" function from the reply window also logs me out.

In fact, just about anything logs me out.

[edit] Finally - took about 5 tries just to get this one reply posted. Not bleeding edge PC stuff here - WinXP and Firefox 3.x
    Last edited by Angus; 08-31-2010 at 02:36 AM.

Does "Log Out" - inadvertant or otherwise - clear the cookies on purpose, overriding the "remember me" setting?
    Getting logged out always displays this message:

vBulletin Message
    All cookies cleared!

* Return to the page you were previously viewing
    * Go to forums index
    and the two links don't do what they say, and instead require another login.

Very tiresome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast