Thread: Website sluggishness and server move

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries

Website sluggishness and server move

Having some issues with apache using up all the available memory on the webserver recently. I'm not entirely sure why to be honest though I haven't had enough spare time to really investigate.

Ironbits has done a fantastic job of hosting the servers for the last few years but that time is about to come to an end. I've slowly over the last few months sorted out the ability to host the servers myself. IB has donated a core i7 920 w/12Gb Ram and 2x128Gb SSD's as well as primary storage. This has been up and running for the last month at home here running the stats parallel. Website is on the same box right now, but I just need to build a webserver separate.

I'd prefer a second core i7 in order to have more memory but that might have to come later. For now I have a quad I'm not using and just need some memory which I'll be getting this week some time (4Gb) and so the plan is to migrate and switch to this one week of September 20th. It should be pretty seamless I think.

The database server is quite a lot faster so things like combined BOINC totals will be in updated all of the time now.

Not sure of the bandwidth as I only have 512k Up, it should easily handle it I think. 15Mb down but if it comes to it I will upgrade the connection to a business line. Space wise there is no issues at all.

Bok

Thanks for everything you guys do to keep this place running.

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Yeah Bok I did notice the sluggishness but 512k up should be enough unless there is a flood of queries. an i7 would be nice even an i3 would be sweet that would be fast enough for the forum server - dual core 4gb ram running Linux
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Blog Entries
    It's memory really, don't need speed for the webserver at all. I can probably put 8Gb (4x2Gb) in the QUAD though (DDR2) but going up to 4Gb Ram modules is ridiculously expensive. Going a core iX route allows for DDR3 which is a lot cheaper and we could easily do 12Gb then, but I can't really justify the expense at all.

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    It's memory really, don't need speed for the webserver at all. I can probably put 8Gb (4x2Gb) in the QUAD though (DDR2) but going up to 4Gb Ram modules is ridiculously expensive. Going a core iX route allows for DDR3 which is a lot cheaper and we could easily do 12Gb then, but I can't really justify the expense at all.
    True Bok, so true... Yeah DDR2 is now so expensive it's worth going DDR3 if you can get rid of the heat... I really should put some liquid cooling for the ram on my quad.
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Blog Entries
    Bok Is a Core i7-930 Processor what you need ?

Blog Entries
    Wouldn't say I'd need it, would just be preferable to get the memory up to 12Gb, but as I don't have a mobo for it either, it's probably just best to stick with the Quad I have for now and just buy 8Gb DDR2.

Appreciate the offer!