Thread: Optimal Sieve Zone?

Optimal Sieve Zone?

As discussed in this thread at PrimeGrid: http://primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=2721

PrimeGrid will be suspending SoB/PSP combined sieving, this means if people want to continue sieving then they will need to use the manual reservation system at http://www.sierpinskisieve.com - my question is, should we not also be considering suspending sieving and instead focus on PRP?

Manual sieving is in the 71144200 -> 72000000 range, way below the PrimeGrid range with a higher density of factors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GP_combined_Density_____050000-100000.png 
Views:	230 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	1321  
    Joe O

OK, we are going to take a break for a while. Manual reservations are now closed. When a more efficient sieve program becomes available, we will re-evaluate this decision.
    Joe O

So we've reached the point where sieving efficiency is on-par with PRP testing? Does that mean that I should switch my PrimeGrid preferences to PRP testing instead of sieving?

Yes, unless you want to get a badge before PrimeGrid sieving ends October 13, 2010.
    Joe O

I already have the highest badge for sieving, so I reckon it's time to switch my computing preferences.

13 October is approaching!

This will be the last insertion date for PrimeGrid SoB/PSP (Sieve) before it is suspended. Until then, the queue will be kept full for anyone wishing to complete their last effort on this PrimeGrid sub-project.
    Joe O