Thread: Constellation: Invite-Codes for best Simulation-Ideas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Constellation: Invite-Codes for best Simulation-Ideas

Hi Crunchers,

Constellation (http://aerospaceresearch.net/constellation/) is a platform for research projects that uses Internet-connected computers to do research in various aerospace related sciences and engineering. You can participate by downloading and running a free program on your computer. But until now it's only possible to register with an invite-code.

This is your chance to be awarded with an invite-code by just formulating your simulation-idea you want to see running on the Constellation platform.

Constellation is meant to be an open-platform for everyone or every institution with goals to do research in aeronautics and astronautics and beyond, be it student or professor or just an enthusiast.

We will grant 10 codes for the best ideas submitted in this thread or via pm, when you are shy.
    There is no limit how much to write, but the more and better prepared it is the higher are your chances to be among the best. But keep in mind to describe it clear and how you think it must use from distributed computing.

For example:
    A mars exploration rover drill. There is a high number of combinations which drill-dimension, -material, -speed-function and mars soil to compute. And this is very easy to parallelize.

Study the characteristics of ash-particle flow caused by a volcano Eyjafjallajokull in the atmosphere.

Well, I hope you got the point, otherwise feel free to ask.

Good luck, everyone!

Andreas Hornig
    --
    http://aerospaceresearch.net/constellation/
    http://twitter.com/ARDNnews

Since nobody else seems to have any ideas, I thought I would give it a shot.

How about a project that tracks NEOs (Near Earth Objects) using data supplied by observatories around the world. That way we would be able to track objects that might impact the earth. Oh wait. That's what the Orbit project was supposed to do.

Maybe since they haven't been able to get it going after several years of hype you guys could give it a try. You could even call it something like Orbitz. I for one would like to know if that Armageddon rock is headed my way. I think it would be a much more useful project than say the one that is looking for little green men.

19 primes found. The largest: 1351*2^617684+1 (185945 digits)

Hi Bigred,

I like your smiley by the way!

NEOs or "object tracking and path-estimation" is one way, BUT I would feel uncomfortable to wilder in Ortbit@home's terretory, you know? I allready contacted some observatories and planetariums to get an idea, if this would be possible to do with amateur-stargazers . So that they could provide object data and these are specified as an object from the db and then the path is analyzed. but it's still close to Obrit@home. And in my opinion, I don't like to much redundency as seen in the proteine folding scene . There should be a clear ede line what difines Constellation and what defines Orbit@home, or we should work together. But no competition between both of us, because the user would ask us wtf! .

But I still like the idea and it's described in a way we intend it for this action!
    So anyone can see that's easy and now rocket-science, ..., hmmm, ..., okay, it IS rocket-science! But any space documentary should give anybody an idea.

What I would really like to see are ideas about "measuring" projects like quake cather network, where we need hardware to measure something. therefore I would even start a new boinc-project where all those measuring projects will run without affecting Constellation.

And, Bigred, Wiesbaden is rather near to Stuttgart .

Andreas

Andreas,
    I never expected you to go for the Orbitz thing. I just sort of wanted to stir the pot so to speak. Since you mentioned Quake Catcher, I'll give you an idea along those lines.

Solar@home
    Using a small solar panel like the ones that come with the solar powered yard lights, create a module to be mounted outside the house. It could be simple and connect by USB or complex and connect by Bluetooth. It could then be used to collect information about the intensity and duration of sunlight received from all over the world. Would this information be useful? Maybe if you were planning solar power installations or growing crops or doing research into solar energy.

It's about a two hour drive from here on s good day. Twenty years ago I was stationed at Panzer Kaserne in Böblingen.

Since you liked the smilie here is another one

19 primes found. The largest: 1351*2^617684+1 (185945 digits)

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    That sounds like a great idea actually. It would probably have to involve some custom electronics to gather and feed the data wirelessly, but it's not so dissimilar to the QCN USB sensors.

Hi Bigred,

what I like about the solar@home idea is, that this can be usefull for more than just one field. so you can tell,
    how much sun-intensity is there for one region and when the sun rises and sets (perhaps not right to the exact second, but qualitatively), what is usefull for the wheather forecasters.
    or it is usefull for the photovoltaic people to find goodareas or se, if there is shadow-fall in this neighborhood blocking the sun for some time of the day.

then there is light polution, what is intersting for astronomers

and perhaps that's crazy, but at the end it's a big black-and-white camera sensor-array .

and it can be one part of a lightning detection array.

and of course it can be rather chep because the sensor pannels like 5x5 cm are not expensive. perhaps they can even been build as DIY, so no boincer has to buy them, BUT only if they can be calibrated somehow.

the only thing I don't know is how to filter errors. just think about light polution and the sensor is active during 8pm and 8am in winter times and it is realy dark, but you set it up near to your house, where your own christmasstree light shines out the window and directly on the pannel. that wouldn't be so wise. this must be handled somehow.

but nevertheless it's a nice idea. so you send in 2 ideas. perhaps you can give one idea to another person .

and, you don't have access to our internal forum, do yo? because I posted this idea on my wishlist .

Andreas