Thread: Dang other programs take time away

Dang other programs take time away

I have a small problem with my firewall stopping everything by throwing a requester up and then waiting for that to be responded to of course turning the firewall off is not an option so 17 or bust processing sometimes is interrupted for HOURS (yeah I leave the machine running 24/7).

Anyone know how to make 17 or bust carry on regardless of such things ? I am using ZoneAlarm and can't seem to kill those snarfarkling requestors

Re: Dang other programs take time away

Originally posted by beardyphish
    of course turning the firewall off is not an option
    "personal firewalls" are really not firewalls at all and I wouldn't run one.

That said ZoneAlarm has options to always allow certain programs. Last time I checked that option was available from the same window that asks to allow a particular connection.

DP

I had problems with ZoneAlarm too, it often blocked ALL internet traffic, also sob tahat was on the list of trusted programs. If someone knows a fix for that, I may start running zonealarm again ... right now I not willing to lose hours of work every time zone alarm crashes
    EatMaDust

Stop Microsoft turning into Big Brother!
    http://www.againsttcpa.com

On the current free version of ZoneAlarm, go to Program Control, Programs tab, and find the entry for sb.exe. Then change both options in Access for that program to green checks. Also click on the blank square on the right and set it to "Pass Lock".

I have been used ZoneAlarm for years on a win2k machine and have never had problems with it (or else I would have stopped using it).

The normal procedure when starting to use a new program that accesses internet, is that a requester comes up and I can select to always allow this program to access internet and then the requester never comes up again. (The requester program comes up if a program is updated).

If are doing this and the requester still comes up, I can't help you. Maybe it can't store its data?

ZoneAlarm has, as far as I can remember, not crashed for me.