Thread: Free-DC Hydra Press Release

Post Free-DC Hydra Press Release

February 21, 2003
    Free-DC Hydra Press Release

The Free-DC Hydra team would like to announce the availability of Hydra to the Free-DC community.
    Hydra is a location where an operator will build a collection of computers in order to run a dedicated distributed computing client for Free-DC. The operators welcome your questions or comments about their site location. Free-DC user RacerX will operate in the Western part of the contiguous United States. Free-DC user Magnav0x will operate in the Central Region. Free-DC user freeiso will operate in the Eastern Region.

RacerX, Magnav0x and freeiso are available via Free-DCs Private Messaging system or the regular posting boards. They are very willing to share with the Free-DC community their plans for running the computers and DC clients. These computers are sometimes referred to as Stacks because they are often case-less Mother Boards with just the bare essential components in order to generate a Work Unit. They are sometimes arranged on top of each other to save space, hence the name Stacks. The individual computers that make up these Stacks are sometimes referred to as Nodes.

The Free-DC Hydra team would like to graciously solicit your support in these endeavors. If you have extra computer components of almost any kind, please contact one of the Regional Hydra operators for instructions on how to ship your extra parts to them.

Free-DC Hydra Team
    Last edited by MrTRS; 02-22-2003 at 04:11 PM.

Hydra Update

It looks like Hydra-E operator freeiso was the first to get a Hydra Node up and running. Congradulations to freeiso for a job well done, and keep it going.
    I'm pretty sure he has assigned this node to Distributed Folding. I'm sure the DF team welcomes his contribution with open arms.

Most excellent!

Just as soon as my nodes go up, they will be assigned to DF as well.

Gettin' Jiggy Wit' It Tax Bracket's Avatar
    Excellent work MrTRS, RacerX, Magnav0x and freeiso

Originally posted by magnav0x
    Just as soon as my nodes go up, they will be assigned to DF as well.
    Magnav0x,
    Great to hear that things are progessing. Of course as a Hydra operator you are free to do as you think best, but might I offer one suggestion. I suggest that you make a new DF userid just for your Hydra nodes. All the nodes crunching under one id would be ok, but it needs to be different from your private stats so that people can follow the progress in the stats. Might I suggest "Free-DC Hydra-C", the C would be for Central.

P.S. You need to turn on some of the Private Message options in you "user cp" so that if somebody wanted to contact you, you would see the PM when you sigh on the board.

Ray

This is the title that appears ECL's Avatar
    I respectfully submit that any work done on DF before the algorithm change is a waste of time and energy. Their current setup isn't yielding useful scientific results, and since they'll wipe the stats there's not much point in trying to climb the rankings now. We can't do better than #2, and it's unlikely anyone could push us down to #3.

There are several projects in which Free-DC needs more firepower right now, before DF gets the new algorithm and stats working. We're at risk of sliding another couple of positions in SoB (remember those heady days when we were #2?), RC5 is in freefall and OGR still hasn't even broken the top 1000 barrier. Since we all know we're going to shift boxes away from other projects to DF once it's fixed, we should be attempting to gain some ground on projects where we already have a significant investment.

When DF gets its act together so it can do actual science (if indeed their methodology ever can) the farms can be moved back to DF and we can give TSF a run for their money again.

Just something to think about.

PS: I have a bunch of power supplies and some misc mobos, RAM and CPUs in a closet. These will get trashed when I move unless one of the Hydra operators wants 'em.

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by ECL
    . . .
    RC5 is in freefall and OGR still hasn't even broken the top 1000 barrier.
    . . .
    BUT:
    In a few days we will break the top 1000 barrier on ogr-25!
    the-mk

ECL,
    Thanks for the post. That sounds like a plan. And if one of the Hydra operators doesn't jump in this thread and claim some of your parts then consider putting together a package and sending it to me before anything goes in the trash. I will redestribute them as needed.

Ray
    P.S. PM me for my mailing address.
    Last edited by MrTRS; 03-03-2003 at 12:23 PM.

ECL, I'll be glad to take the extra equipment of your hands for my portion of the Hydra beast. Send me a PM if you haven't found a home for em yet. Well I believe you have a great point on the DF issue. What do you guys think about SoB? I've been participating in it as of lately and it seems to be a rock solid project.

Just a suggestion but what about Ecc2...

When Hydra finds the pair of winning keys; the money could be re-invested in more Hydra nodes (or running costs) and the beast will grow

The Free-DC team could do with the extra cycles as well

Perhaps this could be a topic for a poll? I would also prefer ECC2 or OGR rather than DF.

Poll indeed. This in fact a team effort. Take a poll to see what Free-DC wants as a team and show it shall be done.