Thread: GPU's ATI vs NVIDIA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question GPU's ATI vs NVIDIA

Hi, For the past 5 days , i spend time to try to find out witch one is the best ..
    Ati or NVIDIA for running GPU's?
    Few questions here:
    1=What is the maximum GPU's Boinc could recognize?
    2=There is Some NVIDIA card that have around 400 Cuda's, what does it means?
    3= And How many Cuda's for running a GPU?
    4=Here the situation: I have an ATI Radeon Hd 3200 and Boinc use .05 of my cpu & 1 GPU (i use AMD phenom 4 cores) so my RAC is around 650 wu's.
    But here is my problem there is a data cruncher having same cpu and os, and he use NVIDIA geforce Tx480 and is actual rac = 48,500 wu's , so i am far away to understand it ?
    5= How many Wu's i can crunch at the same times using whatever GPU for maximize my RAC.
    Thank' for your Help i hope a genious could answer!!!
    Last edited by Luc Gauthier; 11-25-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Which project are you running this on?
    Some of the projects are heavily optimized for particular classes of GPU's. You may be better off moving to a different project. I don't know that particular card but I think it's on the lower end of the GPU's whereas the Nvidia 480 is a very high end CUDA card.

BOINC will recognize most any high end cards, but I think the question is more which of the lower ones it recognizes.

Welcome to Free-DC !

Nice to meet you BOK & Thank's for your quick reply !!! Understood what you said about Compatible Project and Cuda..
    So if i use GeForce GTS 450 , per exemple...(192 Cuda cores) and using projects list for NVIDIA, how many wu's (beside my 4 cpu) will run at the same times?

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    The wu's are usually configured to use all available cores in parallel so it is only 1 wu at a time still on the GPU itself.

Ok , so if i use like you mention ''Nvidia GeForce GTX480 ''(480Cuda's Cores)can you estimate roundly how many wu's per day could be done?.
    An average will help me alot to decide if i add another pc or go for that card instead???
    Thank's again

Blog Entries
    I and Bigred work milkyway with GPU's
    I have 10 Vid cards and Bigred has 15 -+
    I have all ATI's and Bigred has a mix you can look at our output here

Bigred http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?p...=mil&name=1250

laurenu2 http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?p...j=mil&name=889

One ATI radon 5850 will do the work of 15 Quad cores @ 2.5 Ghz

Here you can get one for 219.00 http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0320761
    Good luck and