Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Client Update?

Originally posted by KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
    When I tried to use task manager to kill foldtrajlite.ex I got the message "access denied"
    This is not good.
    Look for kill.exe on your resource kit, or delete the .lock file...
    that'll get it for sure

Senior Member KWSN_Millennium2001Guy's Avatar
    Deleting the lock file doesn't do it either.

REBOOTING IS THE ONLY OPTION. (BTW, my copy of the Winders 2000 Resource kit doesn't have the KILL.EXE in it) The only way to kill the client is with the net stop command, which the client is currently ignoring.

I've created a script to reboot the farm and I am testing it now.

If it works, I will set it loose on the farm and go home.

edit:
    SHUTDOWN.EXE is a life-saver. I've executed the script and all looks well. I am going to try to run GAH on whatever still has it installed.

Good night all.
    Last edited by KWSN_Millennium2001Guy; 02-26-2003 at 01:14 AM.

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    On the positive side, if this was a fully commercial project, it would be costing them at least $500 an hour to troubleshoot...we do it for free..we are such swell people

Just enjoyin the ride here.. all my stuff is Linux .. so this time around i'm not having too much trouble ... wasnt all that long ago the *nix clents had all the problems .. suddenly the universe is in balance again ..

Well since the proxy was fixed everything that was online at the time was updated just fine.

But since the server seems to be 100% down , nothing that was offline will update.

I hope this wasn't another fire, and if it was I hope everyone is OK.

Maybe you could push the magic *.html file to the foldtrajupdateproxy users so that contact is not necessary??

Originally posted by FoBoT
    yes, that is the beta and dfGUI no worky with the
    I haven't had time to update dfGUI to support the new beta client yet so you are correct, it won't work properly if you are running the beta. Since the output is different I will most likely release a new version of the beta client goes live as the official release since it won't be backwards compatible. I will probably make a beta version available for the beta testers to try out though.

Jeff.

Are people over there waking up yet !?!, it's soon time for me to go home from work and i still haven't been able to update a single machine

While most of the time a server outage is not a major issue, during a changeover it is a major PITA. Would it not be better if the update to the servers happened in the morning (Howard-time) rather than the afternoon?

I have around 50% of my farm running 96aa with large caches of structures waiting to upload. Soon, I will lose credit for them

Originally posted by HaloJones
    While most of the time a server outage is not a major issue, during a changeover it is a major PITA. Would it not be better if the update to the servers happened in the morning (Howard-time) rather than the afternoon?

I have around 50% of my farm running 96aa with large caches of structures waiting to upload. Soon, I will lose credit for them
    I would rather say: While most of the actual problems are indeed produced by Howard and his team, I would recommend to let the old structures count longer that 24 hours at full worth or start this count with the release of the new client. How do you think about this?

hey all i'm VERY new to distributed computing and distributed folding (started last tuesday).

Was just wondering if anyone could shed some light as to what is going on as the website high flyers page and server seem to be down.

When i try to start up foldit it says checking for newer versions , before timing out after a while saying "server being updated with new proteins" or something similar.

I've downloaded the text client (from the main site's downloads page) and set it runnig without my proxy.cfg file so that it can't connect through our uni's firewall (i think this has the same effect as the -i f setting), and it has started folding with residues up to 89.

Is it ok to do this until the server is back up and then upload everything then, or am i wasting my time/would i be better waiting until the program automatically uploads the latest version?

Is it working on the right thing (residues up to 89)?

I am now officially going home from work and still no updates made The suggestion about updating in the morning (Central Howard Time) sound good to me, more time to fix problems like these when they occur

I concur, early morning for Howard and crew is best for changing out, but, after they have had their coffee and woke up

:sleepy:

is he still sleeping?

i had to sleep all night with a wedgie! :shocked:
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Originally posted by jonnyw
    hey all i'm VERY new to distributed computing and distributed folding (started last tuesday).
    Is it ok to do this until the server is back up and then upload everything then, or am i wasting my time/would i be better waiting until the program automatically uploads the latest version?

Is it working on the right thing (residues up to 89)?
    welcome to DF!

you are fine, your PC is doing the correct work and will buffer the data until the server connectivity is restored (hopefully soon)

at one point during the setup of your DF client it asked you about how many files to buffer, the default is to not buffer large number of files. if you stayed with the default, and your PC is quite fast, it might hit the disk space/buffer limitation before howard gets the servers back online, but it will correct itself as soon as your client can contact the servers

this doesn't happen very often, if the beta stuff wasn't going on, i believe this would have been another "smooth" protein change
    Use the right tool for the right job!

cheers for the verification

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12