Thread: dfQ Beta Release

Talking dfQ Beta Release

dfQ is now available for beta.

It is primarily intended for sneaker-netters, and those with multiple machines.

It basically acts as a queuing program for uploading results to DF. It can also be used to collect all results at a single location, in a single file.

Let me know about bugs / feature requests, please!

Thanks!
    Team Anandtech DF!

Talking

Sound nice. I really need something. i will try it if i find the time.
    i need to read the readme many time... i hope i understand

Did i really need all 3 "apps" ... why does it not work like setiQueue?

cya

I'm not too familiar with SetiQueue. One of the big differences, though, is that SetiQueue can be set up to handle multiple users, and due to the handle restriction, dfQ cannot (this is good, however; since the completed WU's in Seti did not have any user id information, it led to rampant cheating).

I guess I could have set it up as a "pseudo-proxy" instead; that would have been more complex, but would have been more transparent to the end user.

One of the reasons I took this approach is that while it is less transparent it offers more control to the user. For example, I recall a thread from a sys-admin at a school where every period the computers would be rebooted (about every 40 mins or so) and they would load up an image of the drive each time (great way to keep the configuration stable and virus free). Unfortunately that means that any folds not uploaded to DF would be lost. With dfQ he could specify that results should be uploaded every 5 minutes. Uploads are also done in parallel with the folding, so no time is lost due to servers being down. Additionally, it makes things more convenient for sneaker-netters.

And yes, in its current configuration, you do need all 3 apps. All machines that are used for folding would have the Client on them. One machine would likely have the Server and Uploader. If there was no internet access at that location, then an Uploader would be required at another computer with internet access to upload the results back to DF.

If you need any help at all, don't hesitate to write.
    Team Anandtech DF!

Talking

One of the reasons I took this approach is that while it is less transparent it offers more control to the user. For example, I recall a thread from a sys-admin at a school where every period the computers would be rebooted
    Oh, nice this Sys-Admin has the same name, and.. oops... Its ME
    And you have right.... I think its the right way so i can make the best config.

I will try soon... (this or next week, in the moment i'm deep in other troubles )

cya soon