Okay,
I've just lost yet another fricking 500Gb Sata HDD, this one gave no indication as to impending doom either - I guess I'm not buy seagate again or at least not from the shop I've bought that one out of. I say another that's the 2nd in less than a year I'm sure of it. NOT a happy bunny.

I did have it running BOINC on all 4 cores, along with some other software. No real back up - I know I still have the last drive that well makes a racket but at least works if some what slowly or I HOPE it still does.
Was just about to start talking to my girlfriend, yahoo messenger locked up.. No biggie easy to recover from, nope no can do, BOINC - I couldn't even "suspend" that to make get some processor time thinking it was that HDD light was pretty much on, could hear it as well. I gave it a moment or 2 to try and sort itself out - nope..
Power down
Power up.........
The dreaded "please sort your drive out there isn't an O/S on this one" type message - reboot, into bios
Once it got there - 2 drives show up, my 320 and my 360, no 500gb.

I did manage to get it to see it but even Spinrite 6 running level 2 just seemed to sit there I'm thinking it's the controller board - I hope it's just the board and the physical drive is ok.

So any hints / tips on getting it back and what drive or drives to replace it with and a reputable source of them in the UK.