Thread: Subteams / Divisions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries

Subteams / Divisions

This has been long on my plate to implement and I finally got round to getting it started last week and have put it live in it's current (rough) fashion.

I'd asked the boinc dev team a few years ago if they would implement it server side but that's never been done so I've taken it upon my self to make up the rules! We can change them as we go along if there is enough interest.

So, this is a means of belonging to a team whilst also grouping together, logically, with other members of your team. The L'Alliance Francophone have been doing it for a few years by setting their names to contain the subteam/division within square brackets. All I'm doing now is parsing the name from the xml, if it contains square brackets, I take the data from within and populate a 'subteam' field. From that, I rollup to the combined user's subteam based on the majority of names and then combined data from each user in proj/team/subteam is generated. This is also then rolled up into a combined team/subteam table.

Fairly simplistic. There is a drilldown on the teambycpid page to list subteams for that team, and further drilldowns to list users and a project breakdown.

It's NOT finished Most of the backend database/scripting is working but I haven't spent too much time on the frontend at all.

There is a facility to have a 'subteam description' on the pages for each subteam. This is a mimic of the boinc team description which can be entered at each project page which then gets exported via xml to the stats sites. As that mechanism is not available to us, this will be a manual effort right now. If anyone wants to provide me with a description in bbcode/html with a picture or just linked to one, feel free to do it here or via PM/email. The first one was from a SETI.USA subteam named BlackOps with an image you can see in the link..

Cool! Sadly, my TeAm hasn't done subteams in a long time, with one exception: Folding@Home. Now, changing your name on Folding is practically impossible. So, is there any chance you could come up with some other mechanism for that?
    Proud member of the friendliest team around, Team Anandtech!
    The Queue is dead! (Or not needed.) Long Live George Woltman!

Blog Entries
    It's only for BOINC projects for now where there is a concept of a combined team at least. Would be next to impossible to code for in the nonBOINC world I'm afraid..

Problem is that there are people being thrown onto Sub Teams when there are no Sub Teams for the Main Team just because they have long had the [] in their User Name for some other reason ... So this means the Main Team won't get their Credit then I assume or am I wrong on that ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 01-30-2011 at 08:18 AM.

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve* View Post
    Problem is that there are people being thrown onto Sub Teams when there are no Sub Teams for the Main Team just because they have long had the [] in their User Name for some other reason ... So this means the Main Team won't get their Credit then I assume or am I wrong on that ...
    It still gets the credit, just that the sub-team if they exist has a seperate page
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve* View Post
    There is no change at all to the way BOINC credit is done, that part is all from the xml and I have no intentions of changing that. User credit and team credit is reported as is from the projects. All I'm doing is allowing a mechanism for a user to designate a subteam/division by putting it in their name. I then collect and accumulate the credit based on that. It doesn't interfere at all with the main credits. Would it be better if the subteam was available to be done at the projects themselves and thus exported in the xml, definitely. But I lobbied for it with the BOINC dev team and they would not do it.

If you mean that people are being put into a subteam, if they are NOT on a team in the first place.. perhaps, I'll think on that, might be better to ignore it in that case. I'll run through the scenarios on grouping across projects and see what I can come up with. I did try not to create subteams originally if the team was '0', I think there might be other ways I'll have to prevent though. I don't think it'll matter too much.

Definitely still a few bugs that need ironing out, I always believe in getting it out and letting people find them, especially when it has no affect on anything else..

Credits move with the user if they change their subteam. I don't have anyway of doing it differently without it coming from xml.

So it's all just fun really, little extra way of grouping /shrug.

As long as the Credit goes to the Main Team then that's okay, but it still is forcing some People to change their User Name that they may have had for a long time so that they don't get listed on a Sub Team that doesn't exist ...

If you mean that people are being put into a subteam, if they are NOT on a team in the first place
    Yes that's what I mean, we (The Sicituradastra. Team) had at least 1 person put on 2 different Sub Teams when there are no Sub Teams on the Sicituradastra. Team ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 01-30-2011 at 03:42 PM.