Thread: Vista / Win 7 Gadgets

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar

Vista / Win 7 Gadgets

Hmm okay I've found a few really good ones:
    http://www.myfavoritegadgets.info/
    All on there I'm personally using the system Monitor II, Network Monitor II and the BOINC monitor - now since you can alter the BOINC monitors path to the progress XML, i'm thinking it might be possible to have multiple running but I'm going to check this out for sure, XP network sharing joy..
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Blog Entries
    Except for the DC stuff All that stuff you linked is already within XP and up
    in some form or another, Or am I wrong

Yes but XP didn't have gadgets :P and it does make it nice to be able to see your stats on screen remotely - sure you can pull these up via control panel applets but these are a lot cleaner

Blog Entries
    You can see your Stats as a desktop in XP Is that what you mean by "stats on screen remotely"
    And you could make it refresh every 30 min or what ever

What I meant by remotely is on the same LAN - instead of having a web page sitting, it does need an active sharing (read-only) on the BOINC data folder

Blog Entries
    _ I think you IT guys just like to play with Gadgets _
    Come on admit it

I use some of the gadgets featured here: http://addgadget.com/

The GPU gadget here is also nice: http://blog.orbmu2k.de/

Blog Entries
    Whats the difference between a Widget and a Gadgets

Blog Entries
    **WHEN** will you guys just get Linux and it's functionality and stop trying to copy certain features out of it *AND* getting them wrong????
    (I'm NOT referring to you Lauren.... you AND I are both Windows USERS by comparison to Linux..... that's where I'm the engineer and developer)

As for the question: Widget vs Gadget..... In X11 we have widgets (wx toolkit widgets to me more precise aka wxWidgeName() ). they are native to the libary and are more elaborate constructs to save me time and give consistent look. Put enough wrapping around it and perhaps that is a Win-7 'Gadget' .... UNLESS???? a Gadget is the MS name for a Widget? Just like DirectDraw is very very similar to some VERY low primitive functions in X11 which allow us to blast entire images directly into the Frame Buffer for the next update of the display. Nice part is even doing that, I can VNC in over the network and that 'image' shows up on the other side because the 'desktop' just happens to be remote instead of local.... Opps, didn't tell that to windows and had to create 'remote desktop'... In Linux... writing to a file is a 'socket'... (internet channel to another program, local channel to a program, connection to another machine around the world, or a LOCAL FILE, or my keyboard (input)) nice part is it's a 'handle' (a file id #) and nothing more.... they start at 0 and count up.... nice and simple. Predefined for us are the input, output and error channels (stdin, stdout, stderr) and occupy 0,1,2 as default for any program.... BUT you can change ANYTHING if you want. that's just the default the OS gives you when the program starts. You know the | symbol.... the pipe ? that takes stdout of the first and connects it to stdin of the next.... it actually makes them the same. Using that basis...... The Open/GL and X library, sitting on the stdout channel, go a bit further (but stay confined to graphics only)

In X11... the X display is just that, the display,
    XOpenDisplay(:0.0,........) and you create the channel to your local screen (whose name is :0.0 (:graphics adapter 0, (first one), monitor 0 (first one))).
    XCreateDrawable(......) this is the palet / sheet of paper you draw on.
    XCreateGraphicContext() or XCreateGC()... puts the sheet of paper on the display in a certain location / orientation / size / transparency and most importantly, translucency and color depth (low level) attributes to allocate

The last you need is a ViewPort (a view onto the world..... or your perspective of where the paper is to your eye as you draw) so the resultant image on the paper / glass comes out with the proper perspective / twist / zoom, etc

Once these few quick basics are set, You can now do complete low level (not GLUT but real GL routine calls and draw things... lines circles, watch faces, hands, etc) where they go on the display is just a position attribute for the display manager to remember.

Perhaps, in Windows as I've seen Gadgets more 'complete' than widgets'...... a gadget is a desktop plugin module which is nearly a fully functioning program, albeit limited and a 'Widget' is more like a subroutine which is much less developed? This would also fit within the basic definitions of X11 and Direct-X (as I know it).

Does this help or get someone who writes Direct-X code to speak up and set us all correct for the record?

A FDC in training, fellow supporter of Firefox.

Proudly crunching with AMD & ATI power.
    If you want The Best you must forget the Rest
    >>>>>>>>>and join Free-DC<<<<<<<<<<<

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Ahh, THOSE kind of gadgets!!!! Yes, love to keep a steady stream of them arriving at regular intervals (I usually wait for the price to drop to 'normal') then I will consider getting it.

A FDC in training, fellow supporter of Firefox.

Proudly crunching with AMD & ATI power.
    If you want The Best you must forget the Rest
    >>>>>>>>>and join Free-DC<<<<<<<<<<<