Thread: Uploading results

Uploading results

Hi, I'm on a dialup modem and is their a way to force the screensaver to upload the results to the server. My settings are setup to be more advantage for a dialup modem.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

There is a setting in the configuration to 'not use the internet'. When you want to upload, set this to 'yes' (i.e. DO use the internet) and then start the screensaver. It will upload when you start it. Then exit and change the setting back to no if you wish.
    Howard Feldman

I tried that and it didn't work, but each time I change something in the settings, I loose all the work that was done. Is their a way to stop that also?

Thanks for your fast response.

I don't think you lose any work - how do you mean, because the numebr resets to zero? Are you sure its not uploading? How do you know?

Also look in foldtraj_screensaver.log in c:\program files\distributed folding project\

This may have some error messages for me in it.
    Howard Feldman

I tried setting the switch "do not connect to the internet for modem users" to NO , my counter had over 195,000 folds before and when I previewed the screensaver so that it starts the crunching, it was back to 0.

I looked in the log, and the errors that I have are :

1. ERROR: [001.007] {saver.c, line 1452} File failed checksum C:\PROGRA~1\DISTRI~1\df_logo.bmp

2. ERROR: [001.001] {foldtrajlite.c, line 4159} Sat Mar 15 20:40:38 2003
    Unable to check for new version, will try again later...

Also, my folder C:\Program Files\Distributed Folding Project has lot's of these files .val.bz2, like 347, is this normal?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

download the normal client. move all the .bz2 files from the screen saver directory to the normal client's directory.
    visit http://www.teamstirfry.net/faq.php
    and read through the directions for "making filelist.txt for foldtrajlite.exe"

(so you can get credit for the scructures you've made.)

Then uninstall the screen saver - and set it up again. (In case something got corrupted). Perhaps Howard will have a better idea possible solutions to the screen saver problems.

Windoze XP home
    amd XP cpu
    s3 ProSavageDDR integrated graphics
    driver version 6.13.10.1096

Originally posted by Brian the Fist
    I don't think you lose any work - how do you mean, because the numebr resets to zero? Are you sure its not uploading? How do you know?

Also look in foldtraj_screensaver.log in c:\program files\distributed folding project\

This may have some error messages for me in it.
    I have had this problem too. Every time I make a change to the screen saver configuration settings, with the exception of the display settings, the filelist.txt file is overwritten.

Also, this error message:

ERROR: [001.007] {saver.c, line 1452} File failed checksum C:\PROGRA~1\DISTRI~1\df_logo.bmp

has appeared in bata 3 & 4.

The last problem I have is when the energy minimizing and trajectory distribution happens , the last protein that was created is still floating around in front of the text box. This causes the text box to flicker. Is it possible to remove the last protein from the screen before the energy minimizing?

Every thing else seems to work ok and it looks great.

If you change your handle filelist.txt should be destroyed, otherwise it should not. I'll take a look and see it thats true.

P.S. please post problems with beta software versions in the thread for that beta. Thanks.
    Howard Feldman

Originally posted by mbourd25
    I tried setting the switch "do not connect to the internet for modem users" to NO , my counter had over 195,000 folds before and when I previewed the screensaver so that it starts the crunching, it was back to 0.

I looked in the log, and the errors that I have are :

1. ERROR: [001.007] {saver.c, line 1452} File failed checksum C:\PROGRA~1\DISTRI~1\df_logo.bmp

2. ERROR: [001.001] {foldtrajlite.c, line 4159} Sat Mar 15 20:40:38 2003
    Unable to check for new version, will try again later...

Also, my folder C:\Program Files\Distributed Folding Project has lot's of these files .val.bz2, like 347, is this normal?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

If you log in on our web site (under the 'high flyers' link) - does it say you have done any work or is your contribution zero??
    Howard Feldman

Originally posted by mbourd25
    I tried that and it didn't work, but each time I change something in the settings, I loose all the work that was done. Is their a way to stop that also?

Thanks for your fast response.
    Ok, this is indeed a bug. I will fix it for the next version and as a workaround until then, just backup 'filelist.txt' in c:\program files\distributed folding project\ before changing the settings and then change the setting and overwrite the incorrect filelist.txt with the one from before you changed the settings.
    Howard Feldman

Hi folks, I tried the solution, using the faq that tpdooley suggested, to upload the work that I did in the past using the command line client, and it worked like a charm.

I verified my stats in the high flyers part of the web site and my work was registered.

I have now got rid of the screensaver and only use the command line client to do some crunching. I will wait to install the new screen saver client until the next one comes out with the fix that Brian the Fist will be adding.

Thanks everyone for your help.

You're welcome - although the majority of the thanks should be directed to Ars Technica that put that FAQ up and have mentioned it to those of us in other teams in the past.