Thread: segfaulting!

segfaulting!

Each time I enter ./sb sclient.conf (I use Linux) I get the following:

[Fri Mar 14 13:18:27 2003] client process [v1.0.2] invoked
    [Fri Mar 14 13:18:27 2003] priority set to idle
    [Fri Mar 14 13:18:27 2003] connecting to server
    Segmentation fault

It happened first in midst of a test.. I removed that test, but it still happens. Seventeen or Bust has been working on this computer for approximately half a year before the error arrived!

I have tried reuntarring the program, but the error still occurs.

what is a segmentation fault anyway? I've never heard of it since I entered sob, and I still don't know what it is!
    EatMaDust

Stop Microsoft turning into Big Brother!
    http://www.againsttcpa.com

seg fault is like a memory protection fault in windows.

This problem is a FAQ.

2 things to try: change the name of the server from ServerAddress sb.pns.net
    to
    ServerAddress 216.163.34.105

If that doesn't fix it, then move back to the .97 client. that fixed the problem for me.

Someone post a link to that old client.

--
    OberonBob

Interested in the specifics myself, I 'googled."

---

http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/fo...entation+fault

An error in which a running Unix program attempts to access memory not allocated to it and terminates with a segmentation violation error and usually a core dump.

----

http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/805-4368/6j450e60s?a=view

segmentation fault

(n.) A condition that occurs when a process has attempted to access an area of memory that is restricted or does not exist. See also bus error.

---

So, it appears to be a memory access error of some sort .

In our specific case, the majority of the segmentation fault problems that still exist appear related to some network calls in the SoB client code that cause problems, specifically:

The problem is related to the dns calls and has to do with poor glibc implementations by linux programmers. Sadly, even static binaries are dependant on glibc for dns calls because of the way linux people have hacked things up recently. If I remember correctly, people with newer installs of linux are experiencing the most problems. The older linux builds, and the newest alpha builds don't have issues.

-Louie
    I just bumped one of the more productive threads which discussed the seg-fault issues, hopefully someone has made some progress or has new info to contribute.

changing the server name helped - thanks