Thread: Sending high BW apps to the end of the line

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sending high BW apps to the end of the line

Guys, I need help. I've been using utorrent and throttling the hell out of it, but my grandmother still complains about not being able to hear her relatives in France on Magic Jack. I can't edit the router stuff to fix things because it's my dad's and he's locked me out by not telling me the password.

I've told him for the past few years that he needs to send utorrent to the end of the line when it comes to bandwidth allocation(or more specifically, the port number it uses) but he and I don't get along(please don't ask) so it's difficult for me to reason with him. Is there some website I can send him to that will give him dead easy instructions on what to do? I can supply the letters associated with his router if that helps, but it's a super-old router, like 5 years old. Our connection isn't fast enough for the router to slow us down, but it might mean it's difficult to find instructions for it.

Here's all the funky codes I could find on it, not sure what's important:

Linksys router
    CNP01G111631
    QCOK (might be a zero there)

I know there are some easy to understand websites, but I'm trying to reason with an ornery retiree, so it doesn't matter if I understand them, only if he does. He was a communications tech for the Army back in the 80s, but doesn't give a damn about technology otherwise so feels flummoxed when it comes to stuff like this.
    Last edited by gopher_yarrowzoo; 05-07-2011 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Removal of MAC Address.