Thread: Slow on fast computer, fast on slow computer

Question Slow on fast computer, fast on slow computer

Right now, my new AMD XP 2400+ is slowly chewing its way through the current protein whereas my old PIII 500 is just whipping through them. My AMD should be almost four times as fast as my PIII. This seems real odd. Thoughts?

Check your Xp2400 with another program such as SuperPi. You should be able to do 1M decimal places in around a minute. Check your P3 too. If the XP2400 is not significantly times faster on SuperPi, the Athlon is either incorrectly configured or something else is running to slow down your other programs.

I've got Win2000 and when I used its Task Scheduler, it turns out that a program dnetc.exe is taking up 99% of my CPU. I called a computer friend of mine and he said to click on the "End Process" button. I did and it wouldn't let me. He's now coming over tonight to look at it.

Sounds to me like someone installed Distributed.Net (either the RC5-72, or the OGR-24/25 project) as a service on your machine.

Check out the services thingy, and see if you can stop it there.

Where's this "services" thing you refer to?

Originally posted by Scott Jensen
    Where's this "services" thing you refer to?
    Right-click on "My Computer" and choose Manage. Then under Services and Applications choose Services. This is a list of processes that are started by the system. Look for dnet.c or distributed net and choose stop. Then change the startup type from Automatic to Disabled.

You can also find it from the start menu as Computer Management under Administrative Tools.

Programmer friend came over, read your instructions, agreed with them, and shut it down. He then set it so it wouldn't start on restart. However, we cannot find it to delete/remove it. Doing a file search on "dnetc" turned up nothing. Suggestions? I'd really like to rip this thing out of my computer.

Oh, and FD is back whipping through proteins again.

Lastly, I didn't install this nor anyone I know have. It just started slowing down my FD client about last Friday and there about. Trojan?

I heard unconfirmed rumors a while back that kazaa was installing some sort of DC client on the computers of people that signed up with it. Never found out if it was true (kazaa sucks anyway, IMHO...), though. Possibly related?

I assume there's nothing in add/remove programs for the dnet client itself?

Generally (that is, unless the program changes it) the name in task manager is the name of the program's .exe file, so you should have found it with a search for dnetc... is your computer set to show all files, and extensions, and even "protected OS files"? Might want to set that (it's a collection of settings under Tools/Options from a Windows Explorer window) temporarily and try the search again, that might lead to something.

Once you find the dnet directory.. is it setup with text files with the config info (username to apply the client data to?) so you can write to the folks at dnet and find out who borged the system?
    Or does the dnet client store all the config settings in the registry?
    (I'm always interested in tracking down the folks that are sending me infected emails - not just getting rid of them like most of my clients..

Originally posted by tpdooley
    Once you find the dnet directory.. is it setup with text files with the config info (username to apply the client data to?) so you can write to the folks at dnet and find out who borged the system?
    I haven't done dnetc for about a year, but looking in an old dnetc directory I see a text file dnetc.ini that has all the setup info, including a line "id=...".

Dontcha just hate it when people borg machines before you do!

Originally posted by Scott Jensen
    Doing a file search on "dnetc" turned up nothing. Suggestions? I'd really like to rip this thing out of my computer.
    Are you sure you are searching in the right places? There should be at least one file called dnetc.exe somewhere on your harddrive. I used to run the dnetc client myself a while back. Here are some other filenames you could search for:
    dnetc.ini
    dnetc.com
    buff-in.rc5 or buff-in.r72 or buff-in.ogr
    buff-out.rc5 or buff-out.r72 or buff-out.ogr

If you had this program installed as a service on your machine, then one of more of there files simply has to be there somewhere. Otherwise it wouldn't be able to hog your idle cycles.

Regards
    Ole

My programmer friend looked at this again and after some searching, we found it at C:\WINNT\addins\ntdall. The "ntdll" was hidden in such a way that it didn't show up when "Show All Files" for C:\WINNT\addins was selected. I'm going to contact the distributed project and see if they want any information about this before deleting it from my computer. I assume that if they're at all conscientious that they'll want to know about it and possibly see if they can catch the borger or such.

Originally posted by bwkaz
    I heard unconfirmed rumors a while back that kazaa was installing some sort of DC client on the computers of people that signed up with it. Never found out if it was true (kazaa sucks anyway, IMHO...), though. Possibly related?
    I don't use Kazaa and have never used it with this computer.

I assume there's nothing in add/remove programs for the dnet client itself?

No, it didn't show up there either.

I recieved an email from Mr. Jensen on this subject, as I get many similar ones each month. To clear this up, I maintain the website: www.dnetc.org
    I do run this program on my computers, but I do not make, maintain or distribute it, I am only a user. The official site for it is www.distributed.net and thousands of people use it voluntarilly. With it's default settings it only uses IDLE cpu power, that is.. what processing power is left that no other running programs want.

There are cases where people or viruses install the program on other computers without permission. For details please visit:
    http://www.distributed.net/trojans.html
    You can also email the following address for help:
    abuse@distributed.net

I can promise you I personally had nothing to do with the unauthorized installation of any copy of the dnetc program. I'm sorry for your troubles related to it.

Bryan Schneiders
    daten@dnetc.org

Try searching for all files containing .ini

If it is what I think it is you probably have a well known trojan on your PC. The mailaddess in the ini-file doesn't correspend with the perpetraitor but the 'victims' already have solutions and dnet was informed in june 2002.
    Proud member of the Dutch Power Cows