Thread: Switch to new client?

Switch to new client?

Any update on when exactly the new client (and stats) will take over? The next 10 billion run will be completed shortly...

Curious,
    Michael.
    http://www.rechenkraft.net - Germany's largest distributed computing community

- - - - - - - - - -
    RNAs are nanomachines or nanomachine building blocks. Examples: The ribosome, RNase P, the cellular protein secretion machinery and the spliceosome.

Tomorrow I think... right guys?
    Total structures generated so far: 10,142,290,419
    Goal number of structures: 10,000,000,000

If you take a look at www.distributedfolding.org and the news section, Howard mentions April 1st. No mention of any good jokes..

It'll be a switch to a new protein using the current client. The new client is still in beta test.

Unfortunately. I'm very anxious to get started...
    Proud member of the Dutch Power Cows

If my memory serves me correctly, the last 5+ changeovers have always been on Tuesday afternoons at 4pm EST or so. Today should be the day.

The switch to the new protein has been postponed. In the NEWS section is states:

'Due to circumstances beyond our control, the protein change that was scheduled for today will not occur. We will continue to work on the current protein until further notice.'

A little ironic on April Fools day.

Still no news. Does this mean we'll have to wait until next tuesday?
    Proud member of the Dutch Power Cows

Or until further notice!!! I would not mind a little change of pace myself.

Originally posted by grobinette
    A little ironic on April Fools day.
    although no laughing matter in this case as some of you may know, SARS has struck Toronto (as well as many other places) quite seriously right now and the whole city is in a state of panic and paranoia. I am going to try to do the update from home and should have it ready shortly I hope.
    Howard Feldman

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    That is certainly not fun

I hope they soon figure out a way to treat this because it seems to spread relatively quickly

No one here (Denmark) has been infected yet though. That is probably just a matter of time though...
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

Originally posted by pointwood
    That is certainly not fun

No one here (Denmark) has been infected yet though. That is probably just a matter of time though...
    And it's also a matter of time, that many others may be infected by another virus.

But - that's not a bad one indeed, because it's called the

distributed folding virus!!!

Originally posted by Brian the Fist
    although no laughing matter in this case as some of you may know, SARS has struck Toronto (as well as many other places) quite seriously right now and the whole city is in a state of panic and paranoia. I am going to try to do the update from home and should have it ready shortly I hope.
    I know I don't have to say it, but, Be safe whatever you do!

new protein is 157 AA

a very quick/dirty bench shows this one is very sloooooooooow
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Boinc'ing away
    yep - getting 1.2 strucs/sec as opposed to 2.1 strucs/sec...least the problems we had last time don't appear to have resurfaced

also this thing is taking HUGE RAM (with the extra ram option)
    ~125MB

so if anybody has been using the extra RAM option on 128MB boxes with the smaller proteins, expect a large drop in your production

FOBOT!

How the did you get a copy? None of my boxen will update yet and ftp'ing gets me "Bad directory entries" or something like that.

What's your secret?

download it directly from the ftp site

it is usually available from there about 1 hour after the switch starts

you have to run it -if of course

the ftp site is

ftp.mshri.on.ca

and you get it from \pub\distribfold\download

oh, i only use the windoze command line ftp client to grab it
    the directories are hidden or something, but if you know where you are going , you can grab it

what ftp prog are you using that gave you that errors?

Winders 2K command line ftp. I'm there now, but it's telling me No such file or directory "distribfold-current-win9xA.zip".

"distribfold-current-win9xA.zip" "A" ? there isn't an "A" in it

"distribfold-current-win9x.zip"

you log into the ftp

then change to the right directory

cd pub
    cd distribfold
    cd download

set to binary -> binary

get distribfold-current-win9x.zip

howard could have taken it back down for some reason, maybe?
    i'll try it again

yes, its working for me

Hey! What can I say? Somebody told me "A".

But guess what? It works just FINE without it!!

Thanks, FoBoT. I take back half the bad things I said about you!

Definitely owe you one.

If you are in a big hurry to get a slower client, you can actually get to them through the beta site also.

http://beta.distributedfolding.org/Download.html

This page has the links to the normal client ftp site, the beta client link is just posted in a thread in here.

Whenever you first start up the client and the server is down if the client realizes this it will quit. The first option is to run with the -if flag which keeps the client from even looking for the server. But you later have to go change this so the client can upload data.

If you unplug your net connection first and then start it it will look for a while, give up, and then start crunching. After every data set it will check again, but if it sees that it is down at this point it will just keep crunching. Eventually it will get to upload without any further intervention when the server comes back up.
    Last edited by Welnic; 04-03-2003 at 07:21 PM.

Sheesh, you guys just can't wait, can you
    Howard Feldman

Well... actually no.

See, FoBoT and I and probably a slew of others have fair-sized sneaker-net farms. Well, mine is fair-sized; FoBoT's borders on huge. When you've got limited hours during the day to access these boxen, ya gotta take your best shot when it comes around.

Consequently, the need is great to harvest, reload if necessary, fix any problems that have shown up, & move along in a timely manner. The fact that we're loading a slower protein means less than our personal time. Real Life awaits, but not forever!

i don't like staying at work too late

Originally posted by FoBoT
    also this thing is taking HUGE RAM (with the extra ram option)
    ~125MB

so if anybody has been using the extra RAM option on 128MB boxes with the smaller proteins, expect a large drop in your production
    I got a a few linux boxes that are very similar 2 are identical except for one only has 128 mb of ram and the motherboards are epox 8k7a & 8kha and running without X and I haven't seen any difference in speed between the two systems.

Originally posted by Bionic_Redneck
    I got a a few linux boxes that are very similar 2 are identical except for one only has 128 mb of ram and the motherboards are epox 8k7a & 8kha and running without X and I haven't seen any difference in speed between the two systems.
    You must use the '-rt' option (see the readme) to get the speed boost - and you must have 256MB or more of RAM.
    Howard Feldman

Social Parasite
    I'm on a dial-up line. My client started the download of the new stuff, but then the transfer got bogged down, and after about half an hour the client went back to generating structures for the previous protein. The error.log showed:

ERROR: [010.003] {taskapi.c, line 1199} [ReadServerResponse] Timeout waiting for response, got 2958 chars.
    ERROR: [010.003] {taskapi.c, line 1199} [ReadServerResponse] Timeout waiting for response, got 1658561 chars.
    ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite.c, line 1642} Retrieved update file /pub/distribfold/download/patch/trajfile-patch-125.tar.gz from ftp.mshri.on.ca but length was 1658192, should be 4293226

On this changeover I felt myself under time pressure for the entire evening. The pressure started when the new protein was supposed to be available, but my client would neither upload nor download (it told me "Server down for maintenance"). The pressure got worse when I found that the client would do the upload but would time out while performing the download. That's when I intervened, and manually started a download of the new package from the website (this also took a long time). At last I was able to (manually) install the new protein.

I wish the penalty-free period allowed for participants to switch to a new protein were longer than one day.

mikus

You must use the '-rt' option (see the readme) to get the speed boost - and you must have 256MB or more of RAM.
    I am using the -rt flag already. what I'm saying is 128mb is enough on my pecticular linux install.