Thread: Paid project? Sort of...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well it's been about 24 hours and I thought I would let everyone know what has happened. Yesterday I put 2 ATI HD5850s on it and yes I've made some money. So far about 0.40 BTC. While that may seem to be a very small amount, at the current exchange rate that would be about $8. I have no way to know if this was an average day but for the purpose of this post we'll assume so. We'll also assume the exchange rate is fairly stable. This would lead to the conclusion that I would make about $240 a month. It won't make me rich but in theory would allow me to slowly upgrade my older machines. For those of you that have to pay for your electricity it could help with the bills and maybe have a little leftover for new equipment.

IMHO at the present there is only one worthwhile scientific project that uses GPUs. GPUGrid doesn't like my GTX260s or my ATIs. I've decided to put the rest of my ATIs on BTC mining today and after the upcoming Primegrid Challenge I'll move the Nvidias to it. I feel that unless a project like Drug Discovery comes up with a GPU application, my GPUs would be better off earning money to do upgrades. Of course this means that my Boinc scores will go way down but what good is Boinc credit anyway.

If anyone wants to start BTC mining and needs help let me know. I found that the instructions were not very clear but I can post a step by step guide to using the Bitclockers pool.

I really wish that Bok would reconsider running a FREE-DC pool. The people at Bitclockers get 1BTC (2%) for every block completed and we did 2 blocks yesterday. At current rates that works out to about $40 a day to offset expenses.
    19 primes found. The largest: 1351*2^617684+1 (185945 digits)

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Tell me what I need to do and I'll set it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    Tell me what I need to do and I'll set it up.
    I don't have a clue but I think you might want to start here. If you need me to, I can look somemore.

Mighty quite here. Suddenly nobody has anything to say.

Some called it spam but that was proved wrong. Thanks to Moose for bringing it to our attention.

Thanks for the results Bigred! I hope maybe some other interests are raised now so that a Free-DC pool would be viable. Sorry I haven't been posting much in here. I've been working to get a truck ready and setup a part time job for the summer so I can build the funds needed to go to Alaska in the fall and try to fish.

I'll keep watch of the thread and move my GPU over if a Free-DC pool is created. We'll need a lot more than just our GPUs to make it to where we actually solve blocks and earn BCs. I'm sure we'll get there though!

-Moose

P.S. What do you estimate you'll generate monthly with the GPU power you currently have?
    Distributed Hold'em

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure I understand how to work or configure the client
    Last edited by LAURENU2; 06-19-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LAURENU2 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand how to work or configure the client
    Sorry I missed your post.
    Do you need a step by step guide to using Bitclockers?

With the 9 ATIs running I'm making about 1 BTC a day but the current block has been running for over 28 hours. After the Primegrid challenge I'll move the 9 Nvidias over and we'll see what happens. I don't know how well they will do but I expect the output to just about double.

Did I mention that bitclockers is giving away an ASUS 6950 at the end of the month?

@LAURENU2

This post should help. In it there's a link to his other one to get an individual client setup first so you understand that part. Hope this helps!

http://www.newslobster.com/bitcoin/h...ing-in-windows
    Distributed Hold'em