Thread: No keyboard installed or keyboard error...

No keyboard installed or keyboard error...

So I'm trying to get my old Dual Xeon rig up and running again. The main hard drive was failing awhile back and I stopped using it. I swapped it out for a new one and was going to do a fresh install of Windows. When I turned on the computer the power supply popped loudly and shot a huge spark out of the back. Oops. That failed. So I traded out power supplies for a known working one. I turned the computer on and it posted, but then threw out an error saying "No keyboard installed or keyboard error". I've tried 4 different keyboards, including a USB one, all with no luck. Did something maybe happen when the power supply failed? Is there anything I should try?

Also, one other note, the power supply I have only has a 4 and 6 pin connector coming out from it to go to the mobo. The PC-DL seems to need an 8 pin. I put the 6 in and it wouldn't turn on. I put the 4 pin in on the right hand side of the 8 pin and it turned on. I'm wondering if this connector has something to do with maybe why the keyboard isn't working?

If the port is bad then oh well I guess. I was just trying to get an old system up and running so my g/f could use it since her motherboard died recently on her old computer.

Thanks!
    -Moose
    Distributed Hold'em

Blog Entries
    Old MB did fail like that at times
    Try booting without a hard drive and see what happens
    Also re-seat your mem sticks
    Check that old HD on a new board as a slave and scandisk it
    I might be Good

A dramatic PS failure like that will a lot of times take the MB with it. You probably need the 8 pin connector from the PS since the MB has that kind of connector. You didn't give the model so I can't check on that. Try to borrow a correct PS from someone to test it. Before you try it reset the BIOS to factory settings using the jumper that is usually located by the battery.
    19 primes found. The largest: 1351*2^617684+1 (185945 digits)

Thanks guys! I'll try those things and see if it helps.

@Bigred

PC-DL Deluxe. I forgot the Deluxe part I think in my original post, but that's the mobo.
    Distributed Hold'em