Thread: Dyyr and Halo... A little race?

Bottom of the Top Ten TheOtherZaphod's Avatar

Dyyr and Halo... A little race?

After taking a little time off for repairs and re-organization I have my farm back online. Looking at the stats, the three of us are going to be passing guzzler in pretty close succession. It is a classic gauntlet opportunity:

> we are all pretty close to one another

> the guy in the lead might actually be the underdog

> there is a high-profile flat-liner sitting about two months out from all of us.

Common sense dictates that as we shift from the heating season to the cooling season that I should actually scale my power usage back a bit, but if I am racing I'll probably rationalize leaving the whole farm running.

Anyway, since we are all headed that way I thought you guys might be interested in a little chest-beating competition to help the time pass...

Feel free to check in, you have been challenged.

Don't Panic

Hmm interesting.

I'm game but whereas you say you're just getting your farm back on-line I just lost:

11 x P3-800/866
    1 x 14*SparcIII 750MHz Sunfire 6800
    2 x 2*SparcIII 750MHz E280

I'll see what else can be rustled up. Underdog, eh?

Did you like my little dump?

Well it moved you right off my forward looking RADAR.

I may have to adjust some of my base assumptions if you do this kind of thing regularly.
    Don't Panic

Just a little dump this morning but I can't wait til Tuesday morning (an extra 48GHz over the Easter long weekend anyone?)

Well If you don't kick an extra 7 million or so out of that you're doing something wrong. That will certainly change the odds just a bit.
    Don't Panic

Nice dump, Mr. B.

Won't get 7 mill I'm afraid. They are only P4s, you know

Thanks. There is a machine I use that has perpetual network issues. Every time I check it it seems like it has been happily crunching away, but never manages to upload.

...something to troubleshoot some rainy day...
    Don't Panic

My weekend P4s won't run except with network access disabled, otherwise they get to the upload point and just stop... With access disabled, they just keep on crunching.

Warning guys, don't think you're gonna sneak up on me:

15:30 Sunday. 42 hours of crunching til upload and there is currently 840 sets waiting. Five machines have been turned off since Thursday night

Dumping 1349 sets give or take.

EDIT: 6.5 million
    Last edited by HaloJones; 04-22-2003 at 09:47 AM.

...I stand by my estimate...
    Don't Panic

Just removed DF from 22 P4-2.4s after they ceased to be test machines and became production machines.

Come and get me boys. There will be no more morning dumps

Well maybe just a little one

LOL

Zaphod, you given up?

After more than a few months of "estimated" utility bills the meter reader made it through the defense grid and escaped with vital data. Several days later the bill arrived, and unforunately fell into my wifes hands. Needless to say the catch-up bill was a disturbing four-digit number.

What followed next was a scene that closely paralleled one from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome in which I found myself playing Tina Turner to my wifes frighteningly convincing Master/Blaster. As a result, my basement rack is currently "embargoed", and being kept under close watch.

My time is currently being occupied with two thoughts:

How many machines I can stash in the garage?

How did Tina ever manage to walk in these huge platform shoes?

Don't Panic

I'm sorry to hear that, Zaphod, but it sure makes for a funny mental image.

That sucks, O two-headed one. You guys are doing it from home which is waaaay more impressive than my mostly corporate farm. Of course while you guys might end up sleeping on the couch I might end up sleeping in the street! (Only joking, well mostly joking)

Whatever happened to your ten mill, Dy? With the service you run, seems you would be justified in asking the community to chip in with some points for each time they check their stats! You could beat Lemonsqzz in days!

I really like owning my own, and I have managed to assemble a pretty decent stack of machines, but the power bills just plain old suck.

I don't expect a free ride, but this is charity work after all, and a little break would help. What freaks me out the most is that my KWH charges swing around like crazy from month to month. If I could just get a steady rate per unit I could budget myself, but as it is, each bill from the power company is an entirely new story, and most of them seem to be written by Stephen King.

Anyway, I'm running at about 20% of capacity for now, but I'll be easing back in shortly. For now, you are just going to have to go on without me.

Don't Panic

on a great finish!
    Don't Panic