Thread: SMP Folding

OCworkbench Stats Ho

SMP Folding

OK, my machine is really urinating me off. Can someone with a dual system running 2 Clients NOT as a service tell me how they have their system setup. Can you run 2 Clients not as a service, or have I just been lucky for 2 months
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

I have an AMD SMP system and have been able to run the beta with 2 non-service clients and with 2 service clients, and a mixture of DF and on DF clients at the same time. I now run as a service so I haven't tried two non-service runs of the client on the latest beta.

This is an obvious thing but I thought I would ask just in case. Do you the DF beta client installed in two seperate directories and are running the two instances of the clients from those two seperate directories?

I can't remember if you said this or not, but did you run memtest86 on your Dual box and get a clean bill of health?

Have you also tried deleting both directories, re-installing the latest NON-beta client in both directories, then copying the files in the latest beta client into those directories and starting fresh?

Jeff.

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Separate directories, have deleted and reinstalled from scratch. I have gone back to the Normal Client and made fresh directories in the root of C: and it is running well for now If it runs all night will do the same with the Beta and see. Have not run memtest, have to find it first..it runs from a dos box I believe. I am afraid of my 2 Sticks of Corsair Reg. ECC being bad..that would suck Everything ran smooth until the Beta 9 was installed, then nothing would run..go figure..Scanned for viruses etc..all clean..no spyware. Well, running smooth atm but ??

You will be pleased to know that I was running without DFGUI, and it started up and crashed I have run it with since with the same result ...This is the longest it has gone without crashing for 5 days now

Thanks
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

You can download memtest86 from: http://www.memtest86.com/

It will create a bootable floppy disk for you that you need to boot your machine from and will then start running tests. By default it does a small set of tests and you have to use the menu to activate all of them to do a full test.

It does not run in a DOS box but is a Linux boot disk that has the testing binaries already set up and configured for you. If you don't want to use a floppy, you can also download an .ISO image and burn a bootable CD to do the same thing.

Jeff.
    Last edited by Digital Parasite; 05-15-2003 at 03:26 PM.

Originally posted by Grumpy
    Have not run memtest, have to find it first..it runs from a dos box I believe.
    Memtest86 runs from its own bootdisk, not a dos box. It can be found at:
    http://www.memtest86.com/

Whenever I put together a new machine, I run memtest86 a while. I also run it if I suspect a machine has developed a fault. It is very good at finding problems with memory, as well as problems with the communication between the memory and the CPU.

I have been using DF on dual machines since december 2001. Set up in two different directories, not as a service, in quiet mode. AMD: 2 MSI K7D-L, Tyan 2466, Asus A7M266-D, Iwill MPX2. Intel: VP6. Running without problems.
    Terje Larsen

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    How long does memtest take when testiing 1 GB ECC Reg memory on Dual 2400 MPs?? It seemed to access the floppy non stop, but the numbers on the screen did not change..scroll lock was off I gave up after 10 mins

How long does memtest take when testiing 1 GB ECC Reg memory on Dual 2400 MPs?? It seemed to access the floppy non stop, but the numbers on the screen did not change..scroll lock was off I gave up after 10 mins
    I run memtest on P4 2.53GHz with 2GB Dual DDR. Test #1 took about 30sec, COMPLETE test may take about 30mins on my configuration. Anyway, you should see WallTime clock changing every second else I think it freez.

Honza

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Well, I have ECC enabled on my system , I presume Memtest works fine with it on ?? The results so far look bad Always keep getting failing address range at 782.9 MB..I presume this means 1 of my 512 MB modules is like a bunny in springtime I will turn Ecc off in the Bios and retest Thanks all.

Update: ECC turned off in Bios..same reesult

Last edited by Grumpy; 05-16-2003 at 01:49 AM.

Take out two sticks and try it again.

Set your memory settings to conservative.

Disconnect your hard disks for the test (you may be having a problem with power - it is not uncommon for PSU to be the cause of problems especially with dualies with lots of RAM)

To run a FULL set of tests on my 1GB Dual 2600 MPs it took something like 10 hours I think. But the default set if you don't change anything after you boot doesn't take too long, maybe 30 -50 minutes.

I didn't get any errors with mine so if you do see errors, that implies bad RAM. Try just one stick at a time to see if you can isolate which one is bad (maybe both).

Jeff.

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Yikes, you guys are scaring me now..I think it is the ram. If I have the 2 Clients going..fine. open Explorer 6 and browse fine..open another window/web page fine...not. One of the Clients dies. When extra programs start to run 1 or both die..seems to me memory at the upper end is being used used by extras and thus it has the error and kills Client

I have an Antec Trupower 480 PSU with Raid 1 2xWD 8 Meg HD and GF4 4200. Power readings are within normal. But then, I thought the Ram was OK didnt I, Oh naive one

I really appreciate all your help, this is a real problem for me, I would have probably had another stroke trying to make sure I was not going mad and imagining it all