Thread: ISP Change??

ISP Change??

From the news
    "On Friday April 25 at approx. 4pm EST, we will be changing ISPs. This will result in significantly more bandwidth in both directions. We do not expect any major problems but the site may be unavailable for an hour or two. You may continue to fold offline safely during this time. The beta website will be affected by this as well. Thanks for your patience. "

This may be ignorant on my part, but for those of us with a rules based firewall, will this mean a change in the IP address?

hopefully this will work fine

late greets form germany

and keeep on foolding!!!

Well I don't know for sure, but given the nature of the way IANA distributes IP addresses, I'd say that yes, an ISP change would most definitely include an IP address change...

However, there may be something interesting going on behind the scenes here that would let it stay the same (like if, somehow, Howard convinced the old ISP to sell his IPs to the new ISP or something...), so I should probably just let Howard respond to the question.

It's not that big a deal. I can just run off line and Kerio will give me a warning when the client uploads and attempts to go to another address. Then I can fine tune it again. Curiousity got the best of me.

That is correct, the 206.248.62.* IPs will no longer be valid. To get the new IP, ping ping www.distributedfolding.org or beta.distirbutedfolding.org after the change has taken place and the DNS has updated (I dont have that info at the moment).
    Howard Feldman

As of 9:00 p.m. EST

As of 9:00 PM EST I still couldn't connect. Or, did we change the domain name of the beta ?

That is correct, the 206.248.62.* IPs will no longer be valid. To get the new IP, ping ping www.distributedfolding.org or

beta.distirbutedfolding.org after the change has taken place and

--------^^^^^^

the DNS has updated (I dont have that info at the moment).

Last edited by rsbriggs; 04-25-2003 at 09:18 PM.
    FreeDC Mercenary

nslookup www.distributedfolding.org
    Name: distributedfolding.org
    Address: 206.248.62.8
    Aliases: www.distributedfolding.org

nslookup beta.distributedfolding.org
    Name: beta.distributedfolding.org
    Address: 206.248.62.5

Yup, them are the old IPs.

Maybe when someone (maybe Howard?) learns the new ones, they''ll be so good as to post them here.

Easy fix with ye olde hosts file.

www.distributedfolding.org looks to be 38.112.100.76

beta.distributedfolding.org is now 38.112.100.73

However, the servers must be getting whacked hard, because ping times are in the 4000-5000 ms range. There seems to be a bottle neck in the 38.112.2.230 hop.

Thanks, Angus. You're sure right about it being tough to get there, too.

Hope the IP weather clears soon!

A really large bottleneck:

C:\Documents and Settings\bob>ping 38.112.100.73

Pinging 38.112.100.73 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 38.112.2.230: Destination host unreachable.

===bob
    FreeDC Mercenary

The DNS change appears to have propogated to some of you already (not me yet). However, the entire hospital network appears to be malfunctioning (i.e. dead) at the moment anyhow, so don't count on getting through anytime soon. Unfortunately the hospital network is out of our control. If we are lucky it will be repaired tomorrow, otherwise it may have to wait until Monday. Anyhow the IPs above from Angus are correct. Just keep folding offline for now and when it comes back up we'll have more than 10 times the bandwidth we had before so hopefully it'll all be worth it.
    Howard Feldman

Originally posted by Brian the Fist
    Just keep folding offline for now and when it comes back up we'll have more than 10 times the bandwidth we had before so hopefully it'll all be worth it.

That doesn't mean you can fatten up the upload/download requirements tho!

I tried to startup foldit.bat but it keeps checking new version and look for the server.

So do I have to go and put in the "-i f" switch to all my machines?

I would, if you want them to keep working while the Servers are offline.

Originally posted by koolshot
    I tried to startup foldit.bat but it keeps checking new version and look for the server.

So do I have to go and put in the "-i f" switch to all my machines?
    If you start one up when the server is down then you need the -if flag. The machines that are already running will try to upload and when they can't they will start folding again. They will just keep trying until they get through. You do need to have the -df switch so that you can cache more than 6 sets.

Originally posted by Brian the Fist
    <snip>the entire hospital network appears to be malfunctioning (i.e. dead) at the moment anyhow, so don't count on getting through anytime soon. Unfortunately the hospital network is out of our control. If we are lucky it will be repaired tomorrow, otherwise it may have to wait until Monday<snip>
    People who schedule major system/network changes for Friday afternoons deserve what they get!

Ah yes, issues with computers in the .atlas.cogentco.com domain.

The stupid things (I don't know for sure if it was the same machines, or just others in the same domain) were blocking me from accessing www.userfriendly.org for four or five days this past week.

That path seems to be fixed now, only to have this one go down... Oh well, I'm only running the beta, so all the machines should be buffering all their work.

Originally posted by Paratima
    People who schedule major system/network changes for Friday afternoons deserve what they get!
    That too !!!

But....

Most hospitals that I know of couldn't afford to have their network, and therefore their HIS and Pharmacy systems, go down for an hour, much less for days. There is this little thing about timely delivery of drugs and subsequent patient risk issues that the FDA gets really, really upset about....
    FreeDC Mercenary

I stand by my statement.
    Last edited by Paratima; 04-26-2003 at 12:10 PM.

I'm sure these database servers we connect to have nothing to do with the real hospital servers.
    There is a big difference between WAN and LAN to
    And I rather doubt the hospital deals with any regular ISP
    I'd also bet there is more than one dedicated redundant linkage to/from that hospital to other hospitals for data exchange.

Yes, just to clarify, it is the Hospital Research Institue (mshri.on.ca) what has switched ISPs and is having troubles. We are isolated from the main hospital network (mountsinai.on.ca I think).

As for the Friday afternoon thing, well, all I can say is you folks taught ME that lesson long ago already
    Howard Feldman

Well, the DNS change finally worked its way as far as Florida. Now if the .atlas.cogentco.com domain would just get its act together...

BTW Howard, you must have done a goodness. My regular clients hung up, every durn one of 'em, with this network outage, but my beta clients just said, "Oh look, the network's down" and kept on crunching!

Yep, the DNS change has made it to Michigan, too.

But .atlas.cogentco.com is still timing out. (and yes, just to clarify, I do know that Howard has no control over that domain... )

They used to be returning host unreachables, but now they're just dropping the traceroute UDP packets. Meh...

Originally posted by rsbriggs
    That too !!!

But....

Most hospitals that I know of couldn't afford to have their network, and therefore their HIS and Pharmacy systems, go down for an hour, much less for days. There is this little thing about timely delivery of drugs and subsequent patient risk issues that the FDA gets really, really upset about....
    I work in an hospital pharmacy and have done so for many years. While we do have internet access, an ISP change would not affect us. For reasons of patient confidentiality, the inpatient system is not available online; it is an intranet system.

If our intranet system is down (and yes, it happens occasionally), we do have backup procedures in place to allow delivery of medications. They are not my first choice, but I can assure you I would never allow a patient to be harmed because of computer downtime.

Oh, and the FDA has nothing to do with timely delivery of medications to patients...other agencies yes; the FDA, no.

Kindly check your facts next time.

Medical devices, , including those that mix LVPs, and medical dispensing equipment (Pyxis, etc.) are directly regulated by the FDA.

Patient risk issues, including anything that might result in over or under dosing a patient ARE formally reported to the FDA - just ask your friendly Pyxis, OmniCell, or McKesson rep, the distributor of the pharmacy/lab/radiology software your hospital uses, or any registered Pharmacist working your central or satellite pharmacies.

Or, you could try reading the applicable Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) dealing with patient risk issues and reporting them. In this case, 21-CFR-820....
    Last edited by rsbriggs; 04-27-2003 at 12:33 PM.
    FreeDC Mercenary

But I think Toronto is in Canada, eh?

Not to change the subject, but I seem to have managed to get the servers up again! Don't count on anything staying up though until I can take a look firsthand tomorrow.
    Howard Feldman

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Uploads are working fine as I type, as is the Web Site...
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.