Thread: Active/Retired Projects.

Active/Retired Projects.

Guys, I wonder if you would have some time to check as to the correctness of Active/Retired Projects. I have been entrusted to list the current so Called Active projects as Opposed to Retired in our SETI.USA Home Page in order to help newcomers choose what project to crunch.

At first, I selected BOINCStats to follow but as we have received much support from your team admins, I changed everything to look at Free-DC Stats. The problem however is as follows:

Team Stats Main indicates the number of "Active Projects". This in fact is misleading as I found 38 projects that should not be listed as such and should be in the "Retired Projects". I base my point that in a number of those projects that have not even exported stats for over 34 days have indicated that they have closed the project. i.e as the latest is "Aqua". In fact, the oldest project that is shown as "Active" is "Cells@Home". This project in fact was taken over by Cells@Home2 and that also has ceased production about a year ago and placed in the Retired Category by BOINC Stats..

In the interest of simplicity for newcomers to DC as to what projects is available for their choosing, may I suggest that you make a policy as to what is current and what projects is retired and at what time after their non activity. (In my opinion, 34 days of inactivity should constitiude inactivity at which time the project should be place in a section called "Inactive" and after a predermined time placed in the "Retired Category" automatically. (Unless the project already told us otherwise). (A script to automatically do this change in my opinion should be simple enough with out manual interference.,) To save confusion for newcomers as well as providing an up to date info on projects that DC would be proud to present as current...I suggest that you revisit your policy as to what is current or not and when to change that category.

Having said all that, I still believe that visiting Free-DC Stas Org is the best availble option. kEEP UP THE WORK, Now make it better...

Keep on crunching and have a nice day...

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Mostly taken care of - at least I've set them as archived. it doesn't change anything internally except for which section they show up in on the 'main' page and the old signature. I may add a column to the projmain page (which is the main BOINC page) to indicate status though.

While you're archiving, I think the following could go:

Aqua: No work for the foreseeable future according to their home page
    Malaria Test: Seems to have been down forever now, even though I said in another thread it shouldn't be archived yet. He's dead Jim.

Al.

Blog Entries
    Aqua are still exporting stats for now though.

Aqua may well be exporting stats but it will not change from day to day as they have ceased operations as per their statement"

"Thank-you all
    Dear volunteers,

Your contribution over the last 3 years to the AQUA@home project was critical for us to perform immense computations necessary for the advancement of our science and technology. We have published several scientific papers reporting the results of those computations, including our recent publication in Nature. We made sure to acknowledge your generous contributions in those papers, as your help was vital. At this time, however, we no longer have large computations requiring the computing power of AQUA@home. We therefore have come to the decision to shut down AQUA for the forseeable future. Thank-you again for the selfless devotion of your time, patience, and computing resources to our effort to progress the field of quantum computing.

Sincerely,
    Neil Dickson"

As per that statement for all intense and purposes they have "Retired" the project. I see no purpose maintaining it amongst the "Active" Database and wasting time of newcomers who are looking for Active projects.

I would like to keep Free-DC Stats to be the best and most up to date.. We can do it...
    Whilst we are on that subject, please change the title of LHC@Home to LHC@Home 1.0, and Change Test4theory to LHC-Test for theory as they are an LHC project run by the staff of LHC@Home2.0 staff but have not yet officially changed the name of the project. (Their URL does indicate LHC@Home2.0)

Regards,
    Cruncher Pete...
    Keep on Crunching and have a nice day...

Blog Entries
    These do Not even have a website anymore
    and have Not had a update in a Month

Intelligence Realm

Evo@Home

Malaria Control Test Project

Computational Structural Biology

I think Evo will be back - probably worth keeping it as an active project.

CSB changed to BCL some time ago and is up, but seems pretty dead. Possibly archive it?

The list looks good to me at the moment

Al.

In my CPDN Stats I still have listed as an Active Project Aqua and AnDroic. I know that they are Retired, how do I take them out of my CPDN stats?
    Keep on Crunching and have a nice day...

DNETC is gone forever, so that one can be archived too.

Al.

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruncher Pete View Post
    In my CPDN Stats I still have listed as an Active Project Aqua and AnDroic. I know that they are Retired, how do I take them out of my CPDN stats?
    Your CPID page you mean? Checked those have been Retired..

Quote Originally Posted by ChertseyAl View Post
    DNETC is gone forever, so that one can be archived too.

Al.
    Ok will look into flicking the switch on those if they are dead...
    Last edited by gopher_yarrowzoo; 12-07-2011 at 06:07 PM.
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Blog Entries
    I don't really distinguish active/retired projects on the CPID page at all. They all count towards the overall total anyway.

I'm not really averse to putting some type of mark on them though, but I don't want to separate them out into distinct lists there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    I don't really distinguish active/retired projects on the CPID page at all. They all count towards the overall total anyway.

I'm not really averse to putting some type of mark on them though, but I don't want to separate them out into distinct lists there.
    Hmm let me work on that one...

Oh dear - slaps self in head - i forgot about this - Where is my reminder for this? Oh wait that would be reminder to self - noted.... off to resolved unless someone needs it quick smart.