Thread: Freeze-ups, stoppages, computer take-over, etc.

Unhappy Freeze-ups, stoppages, computer take-over, etc.

Been having problems with DF lately. Just now it froze up. When I tried to shut it down, it wouldn't. Not by pressing on the "X" or when using my Task Manager. Just got a blank text client window. It also wouldn't let my computer shut down either. Even pressing the power button won't do it. I had to pull the power cord from the outlet! Below is what was in the error log.

========================[ May 1, 2003 9:45 AM ]
    ERROR: [777.000] {ncbi_http_connector.c, line 217} [HTTP] Error writing body at offset 8192
    ERROR: [777.000] {ncbi_http_connector.c, line 117} [HTTP] Retry attempt(s) exhausted, giving up
    ERROR: [010.003] {taskapi.c, line 1199} [ReadServerResponse] Timeout waiting for response, got 0 chars.
    ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite.c, line 3480} Error during upload: NO RESPONSE FROM SERVER - WILL TRY AGAIN LATER
    ERROR: [777.000] {ncbi_socket.c, line 827} [SOCK::s_Connect] Failed SOCK_gethostbyname(www.distributedfolding.org)
    ERROR: [777.000] {ncbi_connutil.c, line 526} [URL_Connect] Socket connect to www.distributedfolding.org:80 failed: Unknown
    ERROR: [777.000] {ncbi_http_connector.c, line 117} [HTTP] Retry attempt(s) exhausted, giving up
    ERROR: [777.000] {ncbi_socket.c, line 827} [SOCK::s_Connect] Failed SOCK_gethostbyname(www.distributedfolding.org)
    ERROR: [777.000] {ncbi_connutil.c, line 526} [URL_Connect] Socket connect to www.distributedfolding.org:80 failed: Unknown

========================[ May 4, 2003 1:46 AM ]
    ERROR: [003.002] {potential.c, line 424} Potential file corrupt.
    ERROR: [002.008] {crease.c, line 107} Error in LoadBryantPotential
    ERROR: [000.010] {foldtrajlite.c, line 3092} An error occurred in CalcCreaseEnergy
    ERROR: [001.008] {trajtools.c, line 185} Unable to open log file fold_pm9ic8w6_40000_protein.log
    ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite.c, line 3480} Error during upload: NO RESPONSE FROM SERVER - WILL TRY AGAIN LATER

========================[ May 4, 2003 1:46 PM ]
    FATAL ERROR: [003.001] {foldtrajlite.c, line 3017} Unable to fetch Biostruc

========================[ May 4, 2003 1:53 PM ]
    ERROR: [001.001] {randwalk.c, line 5029} cbdata failed checksum
    ERROR: [001.008] {trajtools.c, line 185} Unable to open log file fold_pm9ic8w6_0_protein.log
    FATAL ERROR: [099.099] {randwalk.c, line 5168} Unable to load B-carbon table cbdata.

========================[ May 4, 2003 6:13 PM ]

========================[ May 5, 2003 12:47 AM ]

Please post your Windows version and whether you are running as a service or not. Also check how much free disk space you have on the drive the program is on (probably C). Most of those errors are just from not being connected to the net but some of them are more serious.

Also check if you have a file 'cbdata' in the program directory.
    Howard Feldman

Re: Freeze-ups, stoppages, computer take-over, etc.

Originally posted by Scott Jensen
    ========================[ May 4, 2003 1:46 PM ]
    FATAL ERROR: [003.001] {foldtrajlite.c, line 3017} Unable to fetch Biostruc
    This happens to me every time I delete the files that DF puts in the temp directory (/tmp for me, probably something different on Windows).

I don't think that's the whole problem here, but it looks to be a part of it.

The computer is a ATH 2400, 1 gig RAM, 80 gig hard drive, and is running Win2000. I'm connected 24/7 to the net via a cable modem. The DF program is located on my C drive and it currently have 60 gigs of free space. I haven't been having problems surfing the net, getting emails, doing newsgroups, and using a special program to moderate four newsgroups. I haven't deleted any temp files and do have a "cbdata" file.

There is something seriously wrong with your system then if it is randomly reporting corrupt files and as well having trouble connecting to our web site. It could be your hard drive is damaged, making those files corrupt, but more likely it is a RAM issue again. If your RAM is faulty, when those data files are loaded into RAM, they don't match the file on disk and so fail the integrity check.

The only other thing I can think of is since its Win 2000 do you have administrative access? And are you running anything like a personal firewall, a virus scanner, etc that interferes with network traffic and/or with file access?
    Howard Feldman

The problem that I was having before was due (or so the computer tech friends I know that looked into it feel) to the old video card I was using while waiting for a much better one to arrive in the mail. Since using that new video card, I haven't had any of the old problems.

As for firewalls, I'm using ZoneAlarm. As for anti-virus, I'm using Norton. As for having administrative access to my Win2000, I'm sure I should have it since this is my home computer. I'll ask my computer friends about this point and see what they can find.

Originally posted by Scott Jensen
    The problem that I was having before was due (or so the computer tech friends I know that looked into it feel) to the old video card I was using while waiting for a much better one to arrive in the mail. Since using that new video card, I haven't had any of the old problems.

As for firewalls, I'm using ZoneAlarm. As for anti-virus, I'm using Norton. As for having administrative access to my Win2000, I'm sure I should have it since this is my home computer. I'll ask my computer friends about this point and see what they can find.
    I would suggest that you try temporarily disabling Norton and Zonealarm then, just for the purpose of seeing if the problems go away. If we can identify a conflict wih one of these programs we can probably work around it. Just disable them, test the software, and then re-enable them. Ask your friends if you're unsure of how to do this correctly.
    Howard Feldman

If I could put my oar in here...
    There are reported problems with two recent patches to Windows NT/2000/XP. Evidently, they won't affect all users, and in particular, the 2nd one listed here only affects folks running Norton Internet Security. (I think.)

Anyway, IF you're having these sorts of problems. you might see some improvement by uninstalling these two.

813489: Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1

811493: Buffer Overrun in Windows Kernel Message Handling Could Lead to Elevated Privileges

If you haven't already installed them, you might wanta wait for an updated fix. I am.

When Microsoft comes out with the fix, I'd appreciate knowing. I'm not folding right now due to this problem.

Write to your Microsoft representative and say that if he/she wants your vote in the next election...

Uh, whoops, wrong speech.

I'm following it. I'll post back here.

No word yet???

Just running my "old" 500Mhz Dell computer for the project right now and would like to get this ATH 2400 back on the job.

MS re-released this one on May 28th and has declared it wholesome for public comsumption:

811493 MS03-013: Buffer Overrun in Windows Kernel Message Handling Could Lead to Elevated Privileges

Still looking for news about 813489. I can't see where they've even admitted there's a problem yet. However, it may not be a problem unless you're running XP.

You could take Howard's suggestion above and disable Norton just long enough to test it, after applying the patch. Or disable the patch & see if you still have the problem. Hope this helps.

PS. Here's a linky. http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;819634
    Last edited by Paratima; 06-09-2003 at 12:51 PM.