Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beta 9 (RC2)

I know, I'm chiming in late here, but enforced net deprivation really stinks.

Originally posted by Grumpy
    If security has been breached, (A) WTF did they do, (B) How can I correct this problem...man I am gettin cheesed off. I know Nat Routers arent foolproof, but his is weird.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: MRxSmb
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 8003
    Date: 3/8/2003
    Time: 11:39:31 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: BRIAN-5F4FE9B30
    Description:
    The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer BOSS that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip xxxxxxxxx The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 03 00 4e 00 ......N.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 43 1f 00 c0 ....C..À
    0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0018: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    OK, SMB is Windows' way of doing file and printer sharing. What happens is that all the computers on a network segment have an election to decide which one is the master (the master is the one that controls which IP address (or NetBIOS address if you don't have file and printer sharing bound to TCP/IP -- and you shouldn't, since TCP is routable but NetBIOS isn't) maps to which WINS name (computer name)). It looks like two different machines are both convinced they're the master, and are fighting over actual master status.

Anyway, this shouldn't have anything to do with DF (though you probably already know that), it looks to be something independent of it.

As to your questions, the answer to (A) might be a couple of different things. They may have changed the Browse Master value on one machine -- either the machine named BOSS or the machine named BRIAN-5F4FE9B30 -- (go into Control Panel, Network, scroll to find, then highlight, file and printer sharing, hit properties, and look at the Browse Master setting -- it should probably be set to "Automatic" on all machines), or they may have done something else screwy. Or, it is possible that "they" didn't do anything -- Windows might have just decided to change the Browse Master setting on you.

Make sure the "LM Announce" setting is the same on all of them, too.

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Thank, I have decided that my network size exceeds my intellect thus getting a Network Techie in to sort it out looks good, else reformat all my machines. It is all part of the learning process
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

Just wanted to let you know that we have collected enough data with the current beta now. We still welcome any bug reports of course, but if it is working flawlessly for you, you may wish to resume 'normal folding' now.

We intend to release the beta officially shortly, but we need to a) make sure there's as few bugs as possible. Although 1 or 2 people have mentioned serious problems with this beta, it is not clear whether the problem is the software or not. I am unable to reproduce the problem myself anyhow. If anyone is having problems that has not spoken up yet, please do so now, as I want to be sure the software is stable before it is released.

and b) we need to do a bit of hardware rearranging here to be able to store the larger amount of data that will be returned with the new method.

Check back in the forum often for updates on whats happening and thanks for everyone's help with the testing, you've really improved the quality of the program for everyone. The first official version will probably be somewhat like beta 5 and may change over time.
    Howard Feldman

Any rough idea of when the changeover will happen? Any decision on the stats?

The Cruncher From Hell
    Will an OSX version be tested before it's released?
    Also, don't forget linuxPPC

I predict it will go live on June 10th, at our current rate

Currently I estimate we will 'go live' on the beta in early June, as soon as we can get some new hardware set up (mostly more disk space to hold more data, and a more powerful stats server to compute those movies faster).

The phase I stats will be saved, and (once we make an interface for it) be viewable along with 'current' stats. The 'default view' will show only stats from the start of phase II though, as will the default top 10. But since phase I will be saved, this can always be changed later, or customized based on personal preference. As for raw points awarded, we will try with the system currently implemented in the beta, as it seems to be fair.

There is no need to test on any OS other than Linux and Windows. Any bug we have experienced so far has either been on ALL UNIXes or none, due to the portability of the code (not counting BeOS, but don't get me started there...) Thus if it works on one UNIX, it works on them all (if only it were so easy for Windows )
    Howard Feldman

Originally posted by IronBits
    I predict it will go live on June 10th, at our current rate
    Doh. That's going to be a tough one - the 1.10 patch for Diablo II should be out right about then, too.
    FreeDC Mercenary

Originally posted by Brian the Fist
    (not counting BeOS, but don't get me started there...)
    The BeOS users thank you for your efforts tho

Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

hmm, so we only have a couple weeks to out fox Rechenkraft net

don't tell them
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Is there any point in running this beta any more? I tried the screensaver at work today and got a fair bit of interest but it doesn't seem if any stats are updating so is work being used or wasted.

This beta is still 'on' and functional, but you needn't run it any more, we will be switching officially shortly to teh new algorithm
    Howard Feldman

Is the Phase I client still doing good science for you? If not, I can save you some net bandwidth by taking-down my farm and cleaning things up to prepare for Phase II.
    -djp
    I'm not a Stats Ho either. I just want to go and check to see that all my spare boxen are busy. Hang on a minute....

we are hitting the 10 billion structure point for this protien within the hour

from Dyyryath's stats page

Based on the current HOURLY production, this protein will reach goal at: 2003-06-10 09:00:00
    Based on the current DAILY production, this protein will reach goal at: 2003-06-10 09:00:00
    Based on the current WEEKLY production, this protein will reach goal at: 2003-06-10 09:00:00
    so in my opinion, the only reason to run phase I at this point is for stats

the team i am on is in a very very tight race for the #4 spot of phase I, so i am continuing to push for every structure i/we can get, just for the team, my spot as #4 individual crunchers is in the bag
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12