Thread: Hardware to avoid

Thumbs down Hardware to avoid

I bought one of these 10 months ago strictly for crunching. Well, it has fried both fans and possibly the card too. It is out for repair under warranty but I wouldn't buy another one with this cooling design. From my experience, the ones that vent out the back of the case work much better.
    19 primes found. The largest: 1351*2^617684+1 (185945 digits)

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Those look like they should vent out the back but I'm guessing they don't... Yeah I had one where the fan died, no life in that card any more was SMOKED...
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...

Good to know. I'm using two Zotac GTX460 cards (768MB). I have an open-air "case" for my rig, so airflow is less of a concern.

But I have noticed that the card on the end of the mobo runs about 10C-15C cooler than the one sandwiched in the middle. The 1st card's fan is drawing in fresh air, but the 2nd card's fan is only about 1/2 inch away from the 1st card, and is drawing in much warmer air.

I just upped my RAM and installed Win7 x64 (mostly so I can run GeneferCUDA on PRPNet), and found that I can now OC the cards and keep them stable. I've got them up to 870 MHz (from 710 MHz stock) with no errors on F@H. They're running at about 60C and 74C respectively.

Try moving the bundles of cable away from the cards and mount a small fan to blow cool air between the cards. The cooler the cards run, the less the fans have to turn. Therefore they will last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    Try moving the bundles of cable away from the cards and mount a small fan to blow cool air between the cards. The cooler the cards run, the less the fans have to turn. Therefore they will last longer.
    That's a good idea. I think I will remount the 3" case fan 90 from its current location. That way it will blow air right down the middle of the cards, instead of across the top of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mattozan View Post
    That's a good idea. I think I will remount the 3" case fan 90 from its current location. That way it will blow air right down the middle of the cards, instead of across the top of them.
    I finally got around to doing this, and it totally worked. The temp came down 10C on the middle card, and both are now running happily at ~67C.