Thread: Exploiting more RAM?

Exploiting more RAM?

Hi,

RAM being so cheap these days, I now have a ton. Most computer-heads I know have at least 512 MB (in their computers, that is, not their heads---I often wonder about the latter).

Folding's optional "-rt" parameter lets it use an extra 100 MB, but that seems conservative now. How about letting users decide how much to release?

Of course you don't want people forking over 200 MB on a 256-MB machine running Win XP. Folding's authors could include a brief RAM-delegation guide before mentioning the "-rt" option, and Folding could automatically reserve a minimum amount for the system (maybe it already does). Whaddaya think?

Cheers, Ander

"We are no longer consumed with the acquisition of wealth. We work to better ourselves and our world." --Jean Luc Picard
    Last edited by Ander; 06-10-2003 at 04:09 PM.

Release All Zigs!
    The RAM option has been something that has been discussed in length in the past. ALthough its certainly of interest, I think Howard just feels its not worth the time invested to have a scalable option for memory usage at this time.

Extra RAM usage wouldn't make a difference anyways. When you flip the extra memory switch, it loads itself almost entirely into memory (up to around 125-150MB in size generally speaking) and the amount that is stored on the hard drive is very little. Because it is kept in memory in runs faster because it doesn't read out to the hard drive, wait for the hard drive to find it, have the hard drive return it. ALthough its fast, relatively speaking its a lot slower than having it all in memory where latency is at a bare minimum. Short of a RAM drive, it won't entirely be in memory, but that's entirely different issue. The total amount of memory does vary with the protein size and I'm assuming it will be similar for Phase II client. On some of the smaller proteins, I've seen it take up less than 100MB of memory. Remember that the memory is shared so DF will adjust itself accordingly. If you have more RAM, than DF's memory usage will stay at a more constant level although if you ever watched the memory usage there is a small range of fluctation in the range of a few megabytes as it works.

Best,

RuneStar½
    The SETI TechDesk
    http://egroups.com/group/SETI_techdesk
    ~Your source for astronomy news and resources~

ie, the client can't use more than it needs

the -rt switch already makes it use all it needs
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Aw, dang. Now what am I going to do with all this RAM? :?)

Release All Zigs!
    Originally posted by Ander
    Send it to me...

Okay, okay, go get a dual CPU motherboard and put the RAM on there... then send it to me... =)

RS
    The SETI TechDesk
    http://egroups.com/group/SETI_techdesk
    ~Your source for astronomy news and resources~

Originally posted by Ander
    Run other programs in it?