Thread: Phase II - Starting on Tuesday, June, 17th

Exclamation Phase II - Starting on Tuesday, June, 17th

For those of you that don't read the News section on the main web site (http://www.distributedfolding.org/news.html):

06/13/2003

- Our new hardware is successfully in place and so we have scheduled the update to Phase II to occur on Tuesday June 17. If this should change for any reason we'll post a follow up message here. The servers will be down for several hours during this period. Also for techincal reasons, you will NOT be e-mailed when the update becomes available, if you usually are. However once up again, auto-update should function as normal. If folding offline, please remember NO credit will be given for old proteins after this switch, so upload any buffered data between now and Monday to be safe.

Jeff, I know you have probably answered this elsewhere multiple times, but for those of us who can't quite manage to find it...will there be a new version of the GUI for the new client? I love it and hate the thought of running without it.

Thanks!

yeah, i won't start doing phase II on more than 1-2 test PC's without dfGUI
    Use the right tool for the right job!

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    I emailed jeff about it a week ago, here is his reply

" I will double check with Howard to see if he is changing the format of anything for the official Phase II release. As far as I know, the 2.2 Beta 3 should work with Phase II (as it did with the beta). I will be releasing new versions with new features over time but as of now, that is the latest version"
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

Right now I am working on v3.0 which should have some cool new features and info related to Phase II. If I don't have that finished by the time Phase II starts next week I will release v2.3 for everyone to use in the mean time.

v2.3 will be the same as people were using during the beta testing of Phase II. As long as Howard didn't change anything major (which he didn't forsee) then it should work just fine.

Short Answer: Don't worry, there will be a dfGUI version that works with Phase II right away.

Jeff.

Mac since '86
    Will a Mac client be available right away or will we have to wait?

I couldn't sleep very well last night for whatever reason so I got up and put the finishing touches on v3.0. I hope to have it available by the end of today so that people can download it in preperation for the big launch tomorrow.

You can find more info here:
    http://gilchrist.ca/jeff/dfGUI/

Here is a sneak peak at one of the new features:
    Last edited by Digital Parasite; 02-15-2009 at 01:45 PM.

in 1 word: GREAT

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    Originally posted by Digital Parasite
    I couldn't sleep very well last night for whatever reason...
    You''re not the only one that can't wait for Phase 2
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

Looks good jeff,

Can anyone tell me if I need to uininstall / reinstall the client to move to phase II or will the autoupdate do the trick for me?

I might have to dig a monitor and keyboard out for some of my boxes if I'm not carefull

HT

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Depends how lucky you feel. Client I will try to auto update. I have very few successes so I will make a new directory and do a full install..that way if there are problems I cannot blame any leftover bits from Phase I.
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

Hi all
    first post for me here
    I'll leave everything set to auto update for now.....hope it works......won't be able to follow the change over.

Alan

does anyone know at what time the Phase II will start ???
    Teamleader of Team Gäöl [NL] subteam of Dutch Power Cows

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    /me crosses fingers

the autoupdate has nearly always worked perfectly here

But it would be nice to know when the update is scheduled to happen
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

Mickeys Big Hand says its June 17th lets go already

here in germany its already 3.27 PM :/

Supremo Woodôô
    In Italy they are the 16:00. still nothing. :sleepy:

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Usually between 1 PM and 4PM Central Howard Time

Servers are down. No more structures will be accepted. All my machines are not folding!!!

Feels really weird, TBH. For the first time in a very long time, I'm not running any DC clients!

Did I keep my place or did Dy do a massive dump at the last minute? Aargh. No way to find out yet!

w00t!! #4 !!!!!

i can't believe it, for a while i was having trouble staying in the top ten

DPRGI Founder
    Ready for Action.

1 to 4 PM Central is 8 Pm 12 Pm in Italy... waiting

bye

Tumbleweeds roll across the empty streets of my folding farm's network hub....

Rats! I just noticed that all of my folding machines had some fraction of a batch of 5000 structures pending when I shut-down the farm and now the server is down. I wonder if any of those machines might have found something better than a 12.65 RMS. I wonder if I'll be able to upload the last 2,000 of them?

-djp
    I'm not a Stats Ho either. I just want to go and check to see that all my spare boxen are busy. Hang on a minute....

I don't think that any upload of phase I results will be possible after today, Hapefully you haven't lost too many results

Have a beer and wait for phase II.

HT

It's all good. Even with the server down for maintenance, this project still fits the technical constraints of my network better than any other distributed computing project out there. Also, the user community and the project's developers are more immediately responsive to questions. A small fraction of my farm is still folding proteins for Folding@Home, but most of my horsepower is here and I'm not going anywhere else.
    -djp
    I'm not a Stats Ho either. I just want to go and check to see that all my spare boxen are busy. Hang on a minute....