Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dfGUI v3.0 for Win available (For Phase II)

Suggestion for next version of dfGUI

I love dfGUI. The new features are really slick, especially the best energy graph. Could you give some thought to adding a similiar graph that would show the time taken to compute each generation? The average time and the last generation time are part of the stats, but the profile of time across all generations would be very interesting to monitor.

Thanks for a wonderful add-on to the DF client. I'm afraid I've gotten rather bored watching the random DOS graphics and find the dfGUI information much more reinforcing.

Originally posted by bunker
    When you have time do you think you could explain the whole "Structure Laxness Levels" thing?

I understand that the percentages increase/decrease based on the number of times the protein gets stuck, but I'm confused as to what exactly the percentages mean and why there are 3 of them.
    Taken from the Howard's readme:

If it repeatedly gets stuck, it will automatically increase what we term 'laxness' parameters. This is a set of three numbers which affect the tradeoff between structural
    integrity and building speed. Thus when laxness is low, structures have good geometry and few if any atomic overlaps, but could get stuck a lot.

When laxness is high, structures are able to avoid getting stuck by permitting a few geometry violations or atomic overlap. Obviously the goal is to keep laxness as low as possible while still avoiding getting permanently stuck. Laxness will keep increasing until the protein eventually gets unstuck. Laxness will decrease slightly at the start of each new generation, but otherwise once increased, will retain the new value for future structures as well to avoid further delays.

There are 3 values used for laxness. They all start at 0 and slowly increase as the structures get stuck too often. The percentage is just a way to visualize the numbers. When the value gets to 100% it doesn't actually mean that is the highest it can go (I don't think there is an actual max value) but 100% represents values that Howard suggest would be quite lax.

Its just there to show you that laxness values are changing but the actual values themselves don't really mean anything useful to the user.

Jeff.

Re: Suggestion for next version of dfGUI

Originally posted by frozenchosen
    I love dfGUI. The new features are really slick, especially the best energy graph. Could you give some thought to adding a similiar graph that would show the time taken to compute each generation? The average time and the last generation time are part of the stats, but the profile of time across all generations would be very interesting to monitor.
    That is an interesting idea. I will keep that in mind for v3.1 whenever I have a chance to work on that. Right now I want to concentrate on fixing the locale problem.

Jeff.

Thanks!

Thanks Jeff.

I was wondering why run seemed to be taking forever...

TeAm Anandtech Distributed Computing

I'd like to cast another vote for the addition of the time-per-generation page and graphs sometime in the future !!

FreeDC Mercenary

i also encounter all those problems.... but after running the df client in text client mode... and not service mode...

everything worked just fine....

Exclamation Need European Testers

Hi everyone, I think I have fixed the floating point bug but I need a few people who have their decimal separator set to something other than "." to verify that it works for them.

If you are using Windows with a different country setting than US and your decimal separator is a comma (,) please e-mail me and I will send you a test version to try out. You should be able to run it right over top of what you have right now and all your generation info should still be in tact.

If a few people could e-mail me, I will send you the program to try and if those people confirm that it works I will release a new version tonight.

Thanks,
    Jeff.

What about including a feature that shows how much points you get for the bufferd gens ?

DP -

One question about saving the graphs... There isn't a way to automatically save them at the completion of generation 250, is there?

It'd be kind of nice to be able to compare graphs of several completed generations without needing to be sitting right there when things roll from generation 250 over to doing the next set.

Maybe, some sort of option to autosave a graph at each end of set of 250 generations?
    FreeDC Mercenary

DfGui
    's

Originally posted by rsbriggs
    One question about saving the graphs... There isn't a way to automatically save them at the completion of generation 250, is there?
    Interesting suggestion. Right now it doesn't do anything, there is no "roll-over" support at all. That could be something I can try adding for a future release getting it to auto-save the graph at the end of the 250 generation set.

Keller: That is also an interesting idea but might be difficult since I would have to figure out which generations were buffered. But what I can do is put in a display that shows how many points you will get for the generation you are currently working on and maybe the previous one that just finished. That will work as long as Howard doesn't change the way the points system works.

Jeff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12