Thread: Phase II

Talking Phase II

Well looks like we relatively smoothly transitioned to the new client. I see nearly a hundred active folders already so the update must be working... Please post any problems/bugs you may find in the bug tracking section of the forum, but seems to be working OK in most cases so far anyways or I would have heard about it already I'm sure.

Please note that while all stats have been zeroed, we have saved the final phase 1 totals and will have some funky way for you to view these (and possibly add them to your phase 2 totals optionally) in the near future.

We have also disabled the beta server for now so please stop running the beta client if you haven't already. And thanks once again to everyone who helped beta test, you have been an immense help. Note the beta client will NOT auto-update to anything so you need to manually erase/replace it.

We will be posting an FAQ on the web site for phase II shortly, which will explain the new scoring, and we'll also add some info about the algorithm itself for those who don't know about it yet.

Lastly, although the thermometer still reads 10 billion, I'm not sure how fast we'll move on this so we're aiming to do this first protein for about a month - we'll adjust the thermometer shortly once we get an estimate of where we'll be in a month's time.

Happy Folding.
    Howard Feldman

thanks

you/your DC project ROCK!

Use the right tool for the right job!

What about old data?

When the Phase I servers went down for the project change-over, I had a whole pile of work left to upload. When I left the office, my Phase I work was not being accepted yet.

Of course, I understand that getting Phase II working is a higher priority than gracefully shutting-down Phase I. Will there be a Phase I server to help me clear this out, or should I delete the stuff that didn't get to Canada before the change-over?

I will only be slightly disappointed if I have to delete 15 MB of Phase I data -- I'm more eager to see my Phase II clients start returning results!

I installed Phase II into a different directory this afternoon, and it looks really nice. The first machines I gave Phase II work upload are either folding offline or they are too slow to have returned work yet, but I can see that team-mates of mine have sent work already.
    Last edited by djp; 06-18-2003 at 12:47 AM.
    -djp
    I'm not a Stats Ho either. I just want to go and check to see that all my spare boxen are busy. Hang on a minute....

The phase I data is no longer being accepted. You do have the correct attitude to be excited about phase II instead of overly mourning the loss of the last of the phase I date.

The servers were down for several hours during the changeover, so everyone had some backlog of phase I data. If you had things set to autoupdate then the new client just deleted the phase I and started on phase II. It happened to everyone.

I thought the whole thing went very smoothly.

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    It updated flawlessly here, but I also only got 2 machines. OTOH, I know that allmost all of bguinto1's machines *didn't* update
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

Release All Zigs!

Re: What about old data?

Originally posted by djp
    When the Phase I servers went down for the project change-over, I had a whole pile of work left to upload. When I left the office, my Phase I work was not being accepted yet.
    It was noted several times that the Phase I work would be discarded and to make sure you sent it in before Tuesday.

RS
    The SETI TechDesk
    http://egroups.com/group/SETI_techdesk
    ~Your source for astronomy news and resources~