Thread: Best Energy = 10,000,000?

Best Energy = 10,000,000?

I currently have 5 boxes that are giving me that as my Best Energy. Might there be a problem with them? All were autoupdated and started with no problems and all are running WIN2K. All of my others are running just great.

Team Overclockers UK Mpemba Effect's Avatar

Thumbs up

I think it's the same problem as this http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthr...&threadid=3264 My windows clients were downloaded fresh rather than updated.

Stop the client, then re-start it. Report back, this seems to be not just you.

Originally posted by HaloJones
    Stop the client, then re-start it. Report back, this seems to be not just you.
    That did the trick. Thank you!

i have one doing this also (the laptop i am posting from)

but, if unmonitored boxen are going to do this and need a manual restart, this will be a BIG problem

could this be dfGUI bug?

how would we see this situation without dfGUI ?
    i guess we would need to have the text console up and watch it?

hmmm...
    Last edited by FoBoT; 06-18-2003 at 01:29 PM.
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Originally posted by FoBoT
    could this be dfGUI bug?

how would we see this situation without dfGUI ?
    i guess we would need to have the text console up and watch it?
    This is not a dfGUI bug as I am able to reproduce it without dfGUI running. You can still do it as a service without dfGUI, but you just look at the progress.txt file at various times using 'cat' or some other program.

Jeff.

Social Parasite
    It's a function of the -g parameter.

If you have -g 100, that tells it to update after 100 structures. In Phase II structures only go up to 50 (after that, they recycle from 0 again, in the next generation). So with -g 100, you will *never* see the Energy value changing.

If you do not have a -g parameter, the built-in default is 5. Meaning that for 5 generations it will display the same Energy value, then jump after the next generation, then stay the same for 4 generations more, etc.

If you put in -g 1, I don't know how much extra overhead it creates, but the Energy value will be updated after every generation.

mikus

[No matter what the -g value is, stopping DF appears to update Energy. But I'd rather run continuously, and use -g to set the interval at which Energy is updated.]

ok, so you are saying that specifying a -g value helps

the other thread in technical support suggests that specifying a -progress value (service install only? same thing as -g ?? or not?) also helps

is that your FINAL answer?
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Originally posted by FoBoT
    the other thread in technical support suggests that specifying a -progress value (service install only? same thing as -g ?? or not?) also helps
    Yes, adding "progress=2" to the service.cfg file, if you're running it as a service, does the same thing as adding "-g 2" to the foldtrajlite command line, if you're running it normally.

I will change the range of values for -g to be restricted to at most 50 (or whatever the generation size is) for the next version, this shoudl avoid some future misleading info.
    Howard Feldman

I am still getting this on all of our win2k / XP machines that are running as services. Nothing in Error file. Got any ideas? Runs fine as long as its not a service.

FOLDIT.BAT
    @echo off
    :start
    if EXIST donename.dat goto donename
    if EXIST changename.dat goto change2
    if EXIST tmpfoldit.bat goto change

:donename
    if EXIST donename.dat del tmpfoldit.bat
    if EXIST donename.dat del donename.dat
    .\foldtrajlite -f protein -n native
    if EXIST doupdate.txt goto doupdate
    goto end

:change
    copy foldit.bat changename.dat > NUL
    .\tmpfoldit.bat
    goto end

:change2
    del foldit.bat
    del changename.dat
    copy tmpfoldit.bat foldit.bat > NUL
    copy foldit.bat donename.dat > NUL
    .\foldit.bat
    goto end

:doupdate
    del doupdate.txt
    ".\distribfold-update.exe" -o
    sleep 15 > NUL
    if NOT EXIST file_id.diz goto error
    rem successful unpacking, so remove files and run again
    del ".\distribfold-update.exe"
    del file_id.diz
    echo Update was successful, restarting client
    sleep 3 > NUL
    goto start

:error
    echo Foldtraj Client update was unsuccessful, please correct any problems,
    echo ensure the file distribfold-update.exe is in the current directory and try again
    pause
    goto end

:end
    http://bar.csh.rit.edu/

DF download mirror, and when I get bored, your home to some neat DF stuff

beefdart: Since you are running as a service, the foldit.bat file doesn't get used. You need to edit your service.cfg file. Try adding the line:
    progress=5

To the service.cfg, stop and re-start your service and it should start updating your progress.txt after every 5 structures.

If you are using dfGUI, go to the Config tab, check the "Progress Update" box at the right and change the value from 001 to whatever you want (ie: 005). Then click on the STOP button then START button to restart the service with the new options.

Jeff.

Originally posted by Mikus
    If you put in -g 1, I don't know how much extra overhead it creates, but the Energy value will be updated after every generation.
    Actually, it'll update after every structure within a generation. Also, when it starts on the next generation the Best Energy will be 10000000.000 again until it updates the file for the 1st time.

Shortfinal

is this a big problem, i.e will it affect the amount of folding done, or does it just affect the stats you see during the first 5 folds of each generation.

i.e. can I leave it at the default if I'm not bothered about it saying 10,000,000 for the first 5 structures?

Yes, it only affects the stats, not the work the client does. If you don't mind, then by all means, leave it at the default.