Thread: G5 = 1Ghz Front Side Bus

G5 = 1Ghz Front Side Bus

Soooo...now that Apple has/will have soon a 64bit processor, 1Ghz FSB, 8GB RAM, and beats the crap out of P4's and Xeons..

Four compartmentalized "heat" areas to improve cooling

http://www.apple.com/powermac/images...im06232003.gif

And..oh yeah..this too -

* 512MB 400 MHz Dual Channel (128-bit) DDR;
    * 8 DIMMs, 8GB maximum memory;
    * Serial ATA hard drive;
    * AGP 8X Pro graphics slot;
    * Top RADEON DDR cards;
    * PCI-X slots (one 64-bit 133 MHz, two 64-bit 100 MHz); and
    * 4x SuperDrive.

Whatch'a think one of these puppies would do with DF?

Who's gonna buy one?

Last edited by Chinasaur; 06-23-2003 at 09:16 PM.
    Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

not me (i still like to build my AMD boxes and am not really the sort of user that would benefit from a mac), although it does look pretty sexy. I suppose youve seen this little allegation thats been bandied about lately?

The specs are mightly tasty but unfortunately it is way way beyond my price range!

Besides, I don't even know how to use a Mac to begin with!

I have to admit that I find the hardware itself quite impressive! I even like the look of the new case quite a bit. Unfortunately, I think Apple's greatest problem isn't the hardware or software, but Steve Jobs and his marketing machine. *sigh*

It would have been really nice to hear them come out and say:

"We've got a great new lineup of machines that are competitive with the high end PCs, come take a look."

Instead, we hear this:

"G5 Power Mac: The world's fastest personal computer!"

I think the new boxes are looking really good (though still pricey), and OS X seems extremely nice (though I wouldn't trade my Gentoo for it ), but they've cast a pall over the whole thing with their predictable and ridiculous marketing hype.

The fact that their Spec & Q3 benchmarks look more than a little askew isn't the least bit surprising. It's really too bad because it looks like they've got a really great lineup now.

I'll be waiting to see how things work out and where the Athlon64 & Opterons are when the G5s start shipping. Who knows, I may buy one to play with despite Steve Jobs.

1000fsb, big deal !

I've got my 2.6c running at a fsb of 1022 (4 x 255) for 3.325G cpu speed!

yep..looks like they deliberately skewed the testing..which is pathetic seeing as how the machine would stand on it's own as a return of Apple to performance respectability... shame.

And Jobs with his patented "Reality Distortion Field" is well known..at least on the BeOS side...

On the plus side..G4's will soon be flooding the market lowering prices overall...
    Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

Then again..maybe they didn't fudge the results...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/31416.html

I'd read Joswiak's comments about it, and in fact, I decided to read VeriTest's documentation rather thoroughly, too. My single biggest gripe with the benchmarks is that they are using them to categorically say that 'the G5 is faster than machine X', and that's just not what these benchmarks are showing.

What they are showing is that using the gcc compiler, the G5 is faster than the P4. To those of us who run Linux, that's a very useful result. It's certainly giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling about the G5. I can see the possibility of a dual G5 running Yellow Dog Linux in my future, though I'll have to see how an Athlon64 or Opteron would do using that same compiler setup first.

However, the gcc compiler is not the only compiler used for the Windows platform, nor is it best one in most cases. Joswiak claims that they used the gcc compiler on both platforms because it would make things as even as possible. I don't buy this. He claims that a PowerPC optimized compiler would increase the scores for the G5. He also admits that using Intel's compiler would increase the scores for the P4. If they're going to use these benchmarks to support a statement about which is the 'fastest personal computer available', then they should be using the best/latest compiler available for each platform. I suspect they didn't do this because, even if they have a compiler that would have helped the G5, it wouldn't have helped it as much as Intel's compiler would have helped the P4. I don't believe for a second that if using the best compiler for each platform would have helped the G5's lead even more, that they wouldn't have used it.

I think the new G5 is great. I also think that they could honestly say that it's surpassed the P4 based systems for Linux use where gcc is usually the compiler of choice. That doesn't, however, make it 'the world's fastest personal computer'. Until I see them take on the P4s where both platforms are fully optimized, and include the Athlon XPs and Athlon64/Opterons, and give me a set of comparisons using real world apps that normal people might use, I'm going to cringe and lean a little farther from Apple every time Steve Jobs opens his mouth and proclaims like God that the Apple G5 is the greatest thing ever bestowed upon mankind.

lost in space. Hey who took my bread crumbs. Now I cant find my way home.
    Got to admit though that the new G5 case has it over the previous ones. All you hvae to do now is run a rope thru the handle and you have the fastest boat anchor in the world.
    :shocked:
    grandmother. ver 3.0

I'm going to cringe and lean a little farther from Apple every time Steve Jobs opens his mouth and proclaims like God that the Apple G5 is the greatest thing ever bestowed upon mankind.
    Obviously, to convince you Dyyryath, Steve is going to have to turn up the gain on his Patented Reality Distortion Field

"So utterly at variance is destiny with all the little plans of men." - H.G. Wells

Addtionally, no matter what Apple's PR says, this means that Apple is finally back in the speed hunt with the big dogs. They are undoubtedly the highest priced, but their offerings are undeniably state of the art.

Rumour has it the pre-order demand for dual 2.0Ghz boxes is so high that Apple is considering building 1.8Ghz duals as well.

No matter what you think of Apple, having one more player in the box market is not a bad thing and keeps everyone innovating.

aka rebldomine
    From what I know and have heard about apple, If i had the money and a will to learn a new os ... i would buy a mac over any pc system of similar price/performace... but im a poor college kid so... heh

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    Agree with Chin here - more competition is good

I hope these new G5's really are freakin' fast and Apple gets a lot of success and grab some markedshare away from Intel.

And yes, Jobs is annoying, but Apple do make some pretty cool stuff from time to time
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

They make great stuff most of the time, actually. I've been quite impressed with OS X, the iPod, iTunes (the service), and their flat panel displays for some time now.

Unfortunately, the prices have always been a little too high, and, like I said, Steve and his legions of fanatics grate on my nerves so badly that it sours me to the whole 'Apple Experience' anytime I think about it.

Things are starting to look up in the price department, though. The prices on the new servers look pretty good, but we'll see how the landscape sits when they are actually shipping them. A dual Opteron is looking pretty tasty right now. There's even rumours that IBM might ship dual (or quad!) 970 systems themselves (with Linux installed to boot), which would pretty much negate any reason I would have for buying one from Apple.

Apple's biggest strong point (in my opinion) is their OS and their software. Mac OS X is fantastic. It's got a great UI running on top of a solid unix-like operating system. Their iApps are as intuitive and easy to use as anything on the market. Add the tight integration with the hardware and you've really got a winning combination...just not for me.

If I was going to suggest a new computer to someone who wanted a computer to use like an appliance (my parents or friends who just want to get on the web, send some email, take digital pictures, etc) I'd certainly be suggesting a Mac. For me, though, that great operating system doesn't offer me anything that I don't already have with Linux. Add to that the fact that the 'look' that everyone loves to drool over really doesn't do *anything* for me at all (I think a nicely coordinated & arranged Gnome desktop looks better) and that just pretty much leaves me with the hardware question.

As I pointed out a minute ago, they've got an uphill battle for my money against the new Opterons. Still, it's not a done deal by any stretch of the imagination. Of course, if I could buy the same hardware from IBM (at a reasonable price) to run my Gentoo on...well then it becomes IBM 970 vs Opteron and Apple gets dropped from the picture entirely.
    "So utterly at variance is destiny with all the little plans of men." - H.G. Wells

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    Agree 100%

IBM has just launched some new Opteron based servers and they aren't exactly slow from what I understand

More info here: http://www.aceshardware.com/#75000398

I also read somewhere (can't find the article right now) that IBM have some pretty big plans with the 970 CPU both for servers and workstations. I think that makes sense - they might as well sell as many of them as possible
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed