Thread: How many generations have you done?

How many generations have you done?

I started up the new client last night, and so far i'm on generation 30 of my first cycle, and have found a 7.44 at 29 (30 aint lookin so hot yet).

how far are each of you? if you run multiple systems, just quote your fastest one.

I am on my third cycle of 250 gens on a couple of my machines now.

Boinc'ing away
    just started cycle 7 on my Barton 2800+/Mandrake and halfway through cycle 5 on P4 2.7/XP...my Barton box has done at least 2 cycles of 251 gens in 20 hours - but never got below 11RMS whereas the P4 has been slower but produced better RMS (all the way down to 5.4ish)

edit - my Mandrake box's last cycle is :

Generation graph:

Timing graph (only from 34 as that's when dfGUI 3.1 came out):

(dfGUI is monitoring the Mandrake box via a Samba share, in case people are wondering how I was getting dfGUI 3.1 running )
    Last edited by pfb; 06-30-2003 at 02:47 PM.

Small Time Cruncher
    At home I started the third round of 250 yesterday.

At work, I've gotten all the way to gen 120. Yes, that's the first round. I don't know about the hamster in the wheel, but I'm embarassed.

Don't worry Louis, I am about the same as you are!

My work box is really slow as it get stuck all the time!

Currently at the beginning of the second cycle, gen 40.

one of the pIV @ work is on 245 of its 2nd cycle.
    the other pIV @ work (not fulltime) has completed 1 i think.
    my axp 2400+ @ home is on 115 of its 3rd cycle i believe.
    so roughly 5 or 6 complete cycles for me
    Driving home the sky accelerates and the clouds all form a geometric shape.

on my 2nd cycle with 3 machines..

just fired up my 450MZ K6-2 laptop for a lil extra punch
    [ LIL is right !! many hrs to do the 1st generation of 10K random !!!!!!!!!]
    " All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing."-
    Edmund Burke

" Crunch Away! But, play nice .."

--RagingSteveK's mom

Originally posted by pfb
    (dfGUI is monitoring the Mandrake box via a Samba share, in case people are wondering how I was getting dfGUI 3.1 running )
    It works for me under Wine -- or at least, it did, last time I needed to fire it up to figure out how something worked.

Though your DF directory has to have a Windows drive mapped somewhere (for me, G: works -- G: is my home directory in my Wine setup), otherwise Wine won't let it read the files. And you can't start/stop it.

And yes, I'm getting there on the Linux dfGUI port. Little did I know that Jeff was working on 3.1 over the last couple of weeks though... Oh well, just means I have more work to do.

Oh, and my machines are on gen 208 (P3-800) and gen 82 (Athlon XP1800 that's off for the vast majority of each day, unfortunately -- the heat output and power usage are too high to keep it on all day ).

My fastest folding client will be in its fourth series of 250 generations by morning. I've got at least two other boxes that are folding their third series of 250 gens.

The vast majority of my folding clients will finish their first series of 250 generations tonight and start on their second series by morning.

How can you tell how much a client has folded if you haven't been paying attention? It's easy:

View filelist.txt in a text editor and scroll down to the bottom of the file. You will see that the file listings alternate between lines starting with your handle and lines starting with "fold_X*" That number after the word "fold" indicates how many series of 250 generations this client has completed.

Now look at the second-to-last pair of files. Part of both filenames says "protein_YYY" That number after the word "protein" tells you what generation within the series of 250 you're currently calculating. Things get a little bit tricky when we get to the end of a series, but you'll see the files with protein_247, protein_248, and protein_249 just before the fold_X number increments.
    -djp
    I'm not a Stats Ho either. I just want to go and check to see that all my spare boxen are busy. Hang on a minute....