Thread: You may be addicted to SB if...

Wink You may be addicted to SB if...

This is one of those humorous threads, so I expect some laughs out of this

Here it goes:

You may be addicted to SB if:

You can memorize all 12 remaining k's
    You spend more time at this forum than at work
    You would rather find a two million digit prime for one of the 12 remaining k's than win two million dollars

Any others?
    Eagerly looking foward to replies

...you learn 'awk' just so you can create this:

hostinfo -ALL -LINUX | awk '/0.00/ {i=1;while(match(substr($1,i++,1),"[a-z0-9]"));print "ssh -f", substr($1,1,i-2), "run.sh", 4038400+j*200, " ", 4038600+(j++)*200}' | csh

The first command dumps the names and load info of all the linux machines connected to the university's network.

The second parse out the hostname of each computer with a load of 0.00 and prints a special ssh command (-f is evil, read the manpage).

The third piece is just the shell it dumps all the commands to.

Just change the range, run it on a shell, enter my password a few dozen times, and I've enslaved an army of P4s to factor for the evening.

Anyone else do goofy things to get extra cpu cycles?

-Louie

- You spend the night at university instead of the day, cause then no one is bothers that you use the public computers for sieving :sleepy:

- Every time you use your computer you are annoyed that it uses cpu that otherwise would be used for SoB

Sieve it, baby!
    - You spend the night at university instead of the day, cause then no one is bothers that you use the public computers for sieving
    D'oh!

- Every time you use your computer you are annoyed that it uses cpu that otherwise would be used for SoB
    D'oh!

I guess I need some counseling...

Another one: You look at the supersecret statistics every 15 minutes and it makes you angry that they only change every 30 minutes.

I have a problem

Counter strike takes up to many cycles

Both addictions are strong I'll let you guys know who wins

and you're running your own personal countdown to 55495 to finish its last few secret tests and 67607's last few supersecrets.

you hate going on holiday for more than 10 days because then all your tests expire (damn, why aren't I only going to England for 9 days )
    EatMaDust

Stop Microsoft turning into Big Brother!
    http://www.againsttcpa.com

I love 67607
    ... you can not remember visiting a web page that is not chocolate brown

All the low priced online hardware vendors list you as a Premier Customer because you are constantly building more fast P4 systems for SoB...

You stare at all the computers keeping your grandmother on life support and wonder how many extra cycles you can suck off them without hurting grandma.

Just kidding...we don't have a QNX client yet....but wait...we can run the Linux client in emulation mode...hmmmmm.....

I am NOT addicted

You may be addicted if;

- you try to get anyone and everyone to join the project

- you complain to people (on your team) whose cEMS are decreasing

- you spend a day of a wonderfull summer not enjoying the sunshine but rather working on extra cooling for the PC (it now has NINE fans built in) so it can keep on PROTH-ing in the heat

- you write an article on SoB for REFLECTIONS (a magazine by the Georgia Council of Teachers of Mathematics) and think it more important that THAT is published than the new Dudette story (see the spring 2003 issue of Reflections)* because it might get people to join the project

- you wonder if you can afford a new (second) computer to up the cEMS

- you want your father (he's 89 and only uses his 18 month old PC to play chess) to get on the internet so he can crunch numbers

- you look at the X Box, Gamecube and PS 2 consoles and wonder ..... (no I do not have an X Box, but it can be made to run Linux .... and there being a Linux client ...)

- you look at the Gameboy, the cable that connects it to the Gamecube ... and think PORTABLE crunching

- you want a version of the client for the Palm computer you carry around all the time

* yup I wrote the Dudette stories (there is a series of them) for that American magazine .... even though I'm Dutch and not a mathematician