Thread: A pain in the MAC

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar

Question A pain in the MAC

Ok, I brought this one on myself - figured mac's are just like pc's you can easily update / change the printer settings can't you...

The answer to that is no - you change an IP or a setting that makes it a diferent queue / IP / whatever and you need to ADD a whole new print queue on the mac
    Which brings me to the problem - I was clearing up a network that had basically been put together badly - well it went from the Dialup days and windows machines to where it is now with a DSL line, multiple wifi AP's and a well small DHCP pool for what they need, figured make the pool larger - noted the IP address of the printers, I've managed to get 3 printers being able to print from all the mac which are of course running OS X 10.7.x (Mountain Lion) and well the printer I'm having issue with only has an installer that is a "PowerPC" installer which OS X killed off the compatibility for in Snow Leopard.
    I just need to find a way to install this particular printer driver on the MAC's as the printer driver that is showing up on some of them just plain don't print to it at all.
    Printer: Canon image Runner C2620 - C1 (Image Pass C1) - that is the driver I can see when I open the package with the installer up but if I try a simple copy / paste to the printers folder on a mac, I get the "this driver is not installed correctly please contact the manufacturer for an updated driver" which of course Canon don't blinking do, yet..

The Windows machines / 1 mac have the driver and they work although the Mac seems to have to hang off a windows file server with the driver installed in order to print - I wanna fix that too..

Any ideas gents?

The other printers are:
    A Sharp MX-7000, drivers from the Sharp site work.
    A HP LaserJet 5si, gutenprint driver worked for that.
    A Canon imageRunner 5000, got the canon PPD driver for that.

I like mac's, i do, just why can't they make life simple, like they do on Windows - I just added 4 new queues to each windows laptop / MAC running it in parallels / v machine and deleted the old one, it was all good.
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Finally got this to work by the most strange route and a tip from a Canon engineer who came and reflashed the firmware / flushed the print queues and did general full reset on it...
    Generic Postscript should work...
    Mac has 3 possible ways of printing once you've selected the way you want to connect - IPP, PDD or HP Jetdirect - now which one of those do you think worked once we selected IP connection and plugged the IP address in....

IPP, PDD - you'd be wrong, HP Jetdirect worked with a generic post script, odd but true....
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..