Thread: Need some guidance

Need some guidance

If you've seen my other threads you would know I just built a 830LR 1700XP system for the sole purpose of running G@H and to run linux on.
    You would also see I can't get the damn AMR modem to work under Linux.
    So this leads me to wonder if I should get another MB with an ISA slot since I have a hardware ISA modem that is linux friendly, or buy a pci linux friendly modem, or buy a serial switch box and cables to share my Zoom External modem (which is linux friendly) or use the onboard LAN on the 830LR and nic the damn thing with my VP6 and share the modem on the VP6.

The latter option would be the cheapest as I have plenty of NICs to throw one in the VP6, I have a 8 port hub, cables, etc...The problem is I have no real clue of how to set this up to have the VP6 (which is an XP machine) set to share the modem to a Linux box, plus get them to talk via 2 nics.
    The last time I had all 4 of my machines nic'd Win2k handled it all during install and I just provided the admin password to the previous machine and I just made all the admin passwords the same.
    I've tried before when I had a KT7A as a linux box to nic it to a Win2k box. The best I could ever get was the ability to ping each other.
    I'm a networking ninny and need instructions from start to finish.

i feel that external modems are always the best way to go with linux

since the serial ports are automatically setup/configured, using an external modem nearly always works without a hitch in linux

external hardware modems rule!!!!
    Last edited by FoBoT; 03-08-2002 at 08:02 PM.
    Use the right tool for the right job!

And as somebody smart once said, "There ain't no external Winmodems!

So you guys think I should just go ahead a get a serial switch box? Is there any loose in the modem signal (induced noise) by using a switch?

If you have to have a modem, using an external modems is always a GOOD decision

hrmmmmm

a hub is not an itteligent device it justs broadcasts to all the hosts on a network. A switch actually uses the unique MAC Address that each NIC has. wonder if a switch might be a cure for your problem?

On the other hand...

MTP,

If you've already got the hub, cables and modem..just setup NAT with DHCP...Or Internet Connection Sharing if it's a Windows box.

Set the modem box NAT software to dial if it isn't connected when it receives a TCP request and your done.

You would only need one nic per box that way. Setting up the client box is even easier since you just tell it's networking to use DHCP and have it detect it's IP from the NAT box.