Thread: -490, expr4parseValue error message

-490, expr4parseValue error message

A few people have reported this seemingly strange error message. It has not happened a lot but seems reproducable once it occurs.

If someone reading this gets this error and it is reproducable, please save a copy of the entire client directory and if it is not too large, e-mail to trades@mshri.on.ca

It seems to be too rare for us to reproduce ourselves so we will need your assistance to fix this one. Thanks.
    Howard Feldman

I seem to run into that one fairly often on the dualie/quad machines. I'll be sure to specifically watch for it and contact you if/when it happens again.
    FreeDC Mercenary

I've run into the:

Error Number -490, 90910
    Unrecognized Value
    expr4parseValue

a few times. It happened on another one of my hexes again today. The error appeared on a totally different machine yesterday as well. I have both of the directories intact and will email them to you shortly.

Both machines are ALR 6-way Socket-8 boards. One is running 6x 333Mhz Overdrives and the other has 6x 200Mhz P-Pro CPUs. Each machine has a Gig of RAM. The first has 4x 256Mb EDO-ECC DIMMs, the second is running 16 64Mb FPM-Parity SIMMs. Both have Windows 2000 Advanced Server for the OS.

>edit- I seems that I only have one of the directories saved. I think I've got another on one of my other Hexes, maybe it is my quad, at the office. I'll check on it tomorrow.
    Last edited by pelligrini; 07-28-2003 at 07:31 PM.
    Pelligrini - Just a fish

It was too big to email. I uploaded it to ftp.blueprint.org\incoming.
    Pelligrini - Just a fish

We'll take a look. Thanks.
    Howard Feldman

Very good.

I have two more of them though. I found a client on another one of the my hexes sporting the same error last night as well as a client on my Quad here at the office this morning. I have both of those directories intact too.
    Pelligrini - Just a fish

I have all I need, I am in the midst of figuring this one out, Ill let you know as soon as its solved.
    Howard Feldman

I have learned that this error is caused when the index file of the database in the .trj for the current generation is destroyed. You can not this by running the program and getting the error, them looking in your TEMP directory and sorting by date. The most recent file ending in .cdx (called 2_1098.cdx for example) is the index file. This is contained within the .trj for the current generation and extracted to TEMP at run time. However on machines with this error the file contains all 0's! Normally there should be some non-zero bytes. So ultimately it is the .trj file that is corrupt.

We are not clear on how it got to this state. For the few of you with this problem, is it always on the same machine(s)? Could it be caused by faulty hardware or does it seem more likely to be a software issue somewhere?
    Howard Feldman

www.amdusers.com

Error -490, 90910

I got this today on a P4 2.53 with 512 MB DDR333 RAM running Windows XP Home SP1.
    ChessBrain was also running alongside DF.

Error Number -490, 90910
    Unrecognized Value
    expr4parseValue

If you've still got the directory, please send us an e-mail at trades@mshri.on.ca so we could take a look at it - that may give us a god idea on what's causing the problem.
    Elena Garderman

Actually, we already know what the cause of this error is. It is a problem in the .trj file (of whatever generation you happen to be on). Part of it is zero that shouldn't be. What we don't know is what causes it to get corrupted like this, so unfortunately we have no fix for this one except to delete filelist.txt and start over. Luckily it seems to be relatively rare.

The error comes from 3rd party code, and I've already spoken with the author of this code and basically they had no idea either so doesn't look too hopeful If you can think of anything 'unusual' about your computer, or anything strange or different you did recently before receiving the error, that may help...

You mention chessbrain, what is that?
    Howard Feldman

www.amdusers.com
    Chessbrain is a Distributed Computing project located at www.chessbrain.net
    On their site they define it as:
    "ChessBrain is a virtual chess supercomputer using the processing power of Internet connected machines."

To answer your other question, nothing different about this computer. Its been running DF for several weeks without incident.

Elena, I e-mailed as many files as I could but hotmail has a 1024 Kb limit on my account. In any case I sent all that have the same datestamp as when the error occurred.

Howard mentioned using Yahoo's briefcase to upload the bugged client to. The free version will let you have up to 30 megs; although you can only upload 5megs at a time.

I ended up compressing the corrupted directories in under 5 meg increments - with files named things like Aug20badfoldPart1.rar, Aug20badfoldPart2.rar, etc. (winrar's best compression seemed to do a better job on .exe files than the Zip compression's best option.. and unfortunately, Phil Katz is no longer around to create a better compression technique for the official Zip product. )

And after that grief.. I found out that the free yahoo briefcase only lets you share with yahoo users, or yourself.. so I ended up having to send Elena and Howard that account's name and password so they could get the data.

If you pay yahoo a small fee, they give you more space, a 15meg file upload limit, and the ability to share the files with the public. (so you wouldn't have to give Howard and Elena the password to the account you created just to turn in the corrupted directory.. *grin* )
    www.thegenomecollective.com
    Borging.. it's not just an addiction. It's...

Some good news finally. I decided to pester the tech support guy some more and finally got a workaround for this problem. IT will now check for this error and rebuild the index automatically if it is found to be corrupt. This seems to do the trick on the one test case I have here.

If anyone has been seeing this error regularly, let me know and I can send you a copy of the fixed one and you can tell me if it seems fixed. Otherwise, it'll be there next time we release a new version.
    Howard Feldman

Good deal! That one has bitten me more than once, mostly when I mistakenly hit Q while the "building trajectory...." message is on the screen. Sometimes it doesn't recover from doing that.
    FreeDC Mercenary

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar

Thumbs up

w00t - one bug less
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

Hi Forum,

this error occurs today on one of my PC's without Internetconnection.

I have send a PM to Brian, hope he can help me. There are 166 Gens buffered.

best regards and happy folding

1103 from Team CSB