Thread: Instant Messenger

Instant Messenger

Is there a way to communicate with users of AOL Instant Messenger, MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, and ICQ from one program?
    Windows solutions?
    Linux solutions?
    Has anyone checked out the new MSN 6 and have any comments?
    I'm concerned with security, virus propgation and privacy, as should everyone

Minister of Misinformation magicfan241's Avatar
    All instant messager programs must DIE!!!!!

/pulls out THE MAGNET!!!

Where are they?

Come heree messeger program thingys, I'll be nice. Just get on the damn floppy now!!!

This works pretty well (though I haven't tried it under anything but Linux): gaim.

Gaim is a multi-protocol instant messaging client for Linux, BSD, MacOS X, and Windows. It is compatible with AIM (Oscar and TOC protocols), ICQ, MSN Messenger, Yahoo, IRC, Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, and Zephyr networks.

Gaim users can log in to multiple accounts on multiple IM networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on AOL Instant Messenger, talking to a friend on Yahoo Messenger, and sitting in an IRC channel all at the same time.
    "So utterly at variance is destiny with all the little plans of men." - H.G. Wells

Hi,

Windows solution: check out "Trillian". http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/trillian/index.html

The standard version is free, the Pro is ... ummm... 25 USD

You will still need one account per protocol (meaning, if you only import your ICQ account, you won't be able to talk with MSN people). It just reduces the number of clients you use from several to one.

The client is by far not as powerful (and annoying) as the ICQ client; if text messages and file transfer is what you are looking for, trillian seems suitable. (I'm using an older version .. perhaps they included some new features in the current version).

Greets,
    Wirthi

Trillian works great, but is windows only.

Use GAIM, it's really good - and for both Linux & Windows (and you don't even have to install gtk under windows!)
    rm -Rf /

and you don't even have to install gtk under windows!

btw, trillian also supports IRC

Blog Entries
    Trillian is great! I use the free version and I'm using only the ICQ-part of the client. They say that there is no adware and so on. And there is no ad-window opening when you start ICQ.

TRILLIAN

If I'm bored I will have a look at gaim-thing and test it
    the-mk

You might also want to have a look at Jabber which uses a single protocol to connect to a Jabber server but the Jabber server can have multiple transports for other protocols like AOL, MSN, ICQ, Yahoo. I've used PSI on linux with ICQ and MSN which worked fine, but I haven't played around with it enough to claim that it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Currently I'm using gaim which has already been mentioned several times, I have also been very impressed with it. Also gaim and trillian both have their own encryption schemes but AFAIK they only work with other clients of the same type. Jabber supports SSL but I have no idea to what extent and how well.

Jabber's pretty neat. We deployed it at work (closed server for intra-LAN use only) for our newsroom people to use. It's worked out exceptionally well.
    "So utterly at variance is destiny with all the little plans of men." - H.G. Wells