Thread: My df client keeps skipping generations and now is at "0"!

Unhappy My df client keeps skipping generations and now is at "0"!

Sorry . . .I hope this is the right place to post this. I "think" I read somewhere about the skipping of generations (My XP 1900 has 001-005, 061-069, 074-078, 094-104, 120-182, and now it is on generation "0"!

Why is this?

Jammy

BTW >>> this box "usually" runs 24/7. The same missing generations also occurs on my XP 2600 and my T-Bird.

512 megs PC2100 DDR on the XP 1900
    512 megs PC2700 DDR on XP 2600
    512 megs PC150 on T-Bird

Sorry . . .I forgot this box (XP 1900) has been running for 3 days, 4 hours and 21 minutes without a reboot.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
    --William James

Seventeen or Bust: Team Prime Rib

And from where do you get the idea that it is 'skipping' generations... :bs:
    Howard Feldman

Brian . . .It started out at "0" last night and now it seems to have "reworked: for lack of a better word, Generations 001through Generation 058 and it is now on Generation 059.

Then it is jumps around (as my screenshot shows) to Generation 115. Then 120 through 182 are done. My other two boxes show similar spreads. In fact the other night my T-Bird started out at Generation "0" again. The screenshot is from my XP 1900. So this is how I got that idea!

Jammy

Originally posted by Brian the Fist
    And from where do you get the idea that it is 'skipping' generations... :bs:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
    --William James

I was just using dfGUI to start and stop the recent phase II clients - and I ended up with real spotty results in that list, too. I.e dfGUI was only open and running 2 mins a day, so would pick up the results for whatever generation was being worked on, and nothing inbetween the last time it was run.)

Is dfGUI running 24/7? and what's the -g setting in foldit.bat?

Yes, dfGUI runs 24/7 as I can peek at my progress with it, much better than DCMonitor (no offense PK). I don't really know what the -g flag is for.

I have Autostart DF Client and AutoStop on Close boxes both checked, but I guess I can uncheck them because if I have to reboot my box for any reason I manaully close the client using "Q" and I restart the client using the dfGUI.

I have Client Priority at 15, Use Extra Ram, and the Progress Update box checked at it is at 05.

Regarding setting flags, I have not manually done this since I started using Jeff's GUI months ago.

Jammy

Originally posted by tpdooley
    I was just using dfGUI to start and stop the recent phase II clients - and I ended up with real spotty results in that list, too. I.e dfGUI was only open and running 2 mins a day, so would pick up the results for whatever generation was being worked on, and nothing inbetween the last time it was run.)

Is dfGUI running 24/7? and what's the -g setting in foldit.bat?
    --William James

I believe it's a priority thing with dfGUI. If it doesn't get enough attention it can't log the gen stats. I found setting priority less than -10 caused dropped gen stats unless I bumped the priority of dfGUI itself from task manager.

Yeah, check this out:

Crunchin D.F. for www.procooling.com

Jammy, the DF client itself is most likely working properly and its probably something with dfGUI and its logging.

One way it might have empty spots is if you didn't have the "Progress Update" box checked but you said above that you do and have it set to 5 so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

The other thing that was mentioned is priority but that seems to on be affected when you set the priority of the client higher than that of dfGUI. But if you have it set to 15 (just 5 values lower than the defaul 20) then that should be a problem either.

What is your "Refresh Rate" set to?

You said that you have been using dfGUI for a while now since Phase II start right? Has it be working fine for you before and now it is just started to do this? Have you changed anything lately? Are you using the new "fixed" version of the client?

Not sure what is going on as I have never seen this myself except the priority and progress update (when running as a service).

Jeff:

Yes I am using the newest version now, 3.1. The refresh rate is 015 . . .I left that as it was when I started using the newest version of the GUI. Progress Update is set at 05.

I am on my XP 2600 right now and it seems that it has started all over now, at number 001. It says that it has completed "One Set"??? So I guess that means one group of 1-250 generations??? As with the XP 1900, the XP 2600 also had those spaces in between the generation stats. So I guess the dfGUI was just doing what it is supposed to do??

BTW >>> I have been using DF to burn in my 750, lol. I only run that box for about 4 or 5 hours a day (trying to keep my electric bill down although I already believe it will be very high this month).

And yes, I have been using your dfGUI ever since Phase II started . . .I have always used your dfGUI Jeff! BTW >>> ya know the probelms I used to have in the past with the MHz not showing up fgor my boxes (when I was still using Win98 se?? Well . . .the 750 has Win98 se on it (I will be giving the 750 back to my youngest daughter in a week or two after I install a new dialup modem and possibly a new sound card). I really hate that I ever gave her that box for she really does not know how to take care of a computer! Maybe, just maybe when I get my financial aid, I will buy here a new box, something cheap since the prices are so low now. That 750 worked very hard for me in the past, and they don't make those nice slot CPU's any more.

OH . . .df does not run as a service on my boxes!

Jammy

Originally posted by Digital Parasite
    Jammy, the DF client itself is most likely working properly and its probably something with dfGUI and its logging.

One way it might have empty spots is if you didn't have the "Progress Update" box checked but you said above that you do and have it set to 5 so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

The other thing that was mentioned is priority but that seems to on be affected when you set the priority of the client higher than that of dfGUI. But if you have it set to 15 (just 5 values lower than the defaul 20) then that should be a problem either.

What is your "Refresh Rate" set to?

You said that you have been using dfGUI for a while now since Phase II start right? Has it be working fine for you before and now it is just started to do this? Have you changed anything lately? Are you using the new "fixed" version of the client?

Not sure what is going on as I have never seen this myself except the priority and progress update (when running as a service).
    --William James

Another cause of 'losing' gen stats is when dfGUI throws a '" is not a valid integer' message. Any gen stats created between when it happens and you catching it will be lost.

Jeff, maybe you could synch the priorities (dfGUI and DF) so that dfGUI will always be able to captue the gen stats. It would have to be optional for those that want every last bit of folding oomph and don't care about 'perfect' logging.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jammy, now that you have restarted back at gen 001, if you look at the graphs or the stats page, is there still data listed there in other generations? When you cycle back to generation 0, it should wipe all the values and start over again.

If there are still values there, you can always click on the Reset button in the "Generation Stats" tab of the GUI.

In your case, I'm not sure why there are holes in your data.

Originally posted by tak22
    Another cause of 'losing' gen stats is when dfGUI throws a '" is not a valid integer' message. Any gen stats created between when it happens and you catching it will be lost.
    Hmmm, not sure why you are getting the invalid integer message. It must be when reading the progress.txt or filelist.txt file, possibly if it is in the middle of being updated so dfGUI only gets a partial file and then some value it expects is not in the correct format (only guessing).

As for the priority thing, I guess I can consider adding such a feature to set the priority of the GUI. For now, anyone can manually set the priority of the GUI in the task manager to be as high or higher than the DF client if they want.

Jeff . . .I am at work right now and cannot access my computers, but, the two computers that "did" finish the first set did start all over again, i.e 001 and no other generations were listed with scores. I do remember looking at the generations stats on the GUIs this morning before I left home.

As long as I am getting the points I do not really care about those gaps, lol.

Jammy

In your case, I'm not sure why there are holes in your data. [/B]
    --William James

check the box next to "progress update" and make the value =001 (for dfGUI users)
    Use the right tool for the right job!

My dfGUI, version 3.1, will not take three digits, i.e 001 in the box for Progress Update!

Jammy

Originally posted by FoBoT
    check the box next to "progress update" and make the value =001 (for dfGUI users)
    --William James

Then make it 01 instead of the 001 that Fobot suggested (which gives you the same thing).

If you set it to 01 it will update after every structure so you should definitely get all the results you are looking for.

Thanks . . .I changed all thee boxes (the 750 is already at 01). Uh . . .the 750 will be leaving in a couple of days, as soon as I get a new dialup modem installed (my daughter uses dialup). The 750 has been crunching df for the past four days, the mighty workhorse that she is, but no longer after she goes back to my daughters apartment. My daughter is "really", how should I say it . . .computer illiterate when it comes to running DC, and nothing I can tell her sticks in her mind, lol.

BTW >>> the 750 has been turning out a completed generation about every hour and a half (or so) I do believe . . .not bad.

Jammy

Then make it 01 instead of the 001 that Fobot suggested (which gives you the same thing).

If you set it to 01 it will update after every structure so you should definitely get all the results you are looking for.
    --William James

of OCW's "Triple Nickle" Gortok's Avatar
    The only time this has happened to me is when dfGUI is closed leaving DF client running in the background (no monitoring). When it's restarted the GUI picks up on where the client is but has no info on the gens completely when it was not running...

Originally posted by Gortok
    The only time this has happened to me is when dfGUI is closed leaving DF client running in the background (no monitoring). When it's restarted the GUI picks up on where the client is but has no info on the gens completely when it was not running...
    Which of course makes perfect sense since the GUI can't monitor something if it is not running.

Jeff.

Originally posted by Gortok
    This happens to me whether or not I have had to reboot, turn off a box at night and then restart the program in the morning, and I always run the client with dfGUI. I did notice that the dfGUI will conitinue on to the "second" Set even if there were gaps in the Generation Stats on the first set.

So . . .I of all people do not know why those "gaps" in the Generation Stats happen in the first place and I now ignore them and let the client "do its thing".

Jammy
    --William James