Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generation 0 speed in new version?

Generation 0 speed in new version?

I am noticing a real drop in speed in generation 0, compared to the earlier version. Earlier it just whizzed through the structures in generation 0, but now it is taking 5-10 seconds for each structure. Furthermore it seems that there is almost no difference in speed when you use the -rt switch compared to not using it.

Are you calculating structures in gen. 0 in a different way now?

I am running on a w2k, Athlon XP 2100+
    Before the update I would run through generation 0 in about 2-2,5 hours. This time it has been using 8 minutes to do 70 structures sofar.

/Regards
    Ole

Boinc'ing away
    hmm...my 3 Windows clients seem to be crawling but the Linux client seems to be flying (my MP2400+ is on 6 after 3 minutes, the Linux on 462 after 5 minutes)...

edit - according to dfGUI, it'll take ~17.5 hours for my Windows boxen to do Gen 0 (2 x MP2400+, 1 x P4 2.7) but 1.5 hours for my Linix boxen (Barton 2500+, Mandrake)...

edit 2 - the dual boxen (MP 2400+) is going to take a day to do gen 0 - it was taking a max of 2 hours...

can this be fixed?
    Last edited by pfb; 07-22-2003 at 06:25 PM.

Ialso tried to download the whole package again from the download section - no change. Still crawling through gen 0. :-(

Edit: I have tried both with and without the -qt switch. It makes no difference.
    Last edited by mighty; 07-22-2003 at 06:48 PM.

Hmm . . .I am on my XP 1900 right now and my client auto-updated just fine, but, why is it starting again at generation "0"? I was at generation 183 and had completed two sets already.

So what am I supposed to do? Erase all of the Generation Stats already listed in my dfGUI?

Jammy
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
    --William James

Seventeen or Bust: Team Prime Rib

Boinc'ing away
    Originally posted by mighty
    Ialso tried to download the whole package again from the download section - no change. Still crawling through gen 0. :-(
    same here - although it does seem a bit faster (going to take 20 hours rather than a day - that maybe because I stopped DF though)....

Why is the Windows client so slow?

My 1.7 will use 3 days 19 hours on gen 0 (WinXP) :sleepy:
    Proud member of The Genome Collective

What is this @@#%%&*&%? 2.57 days to complete generation 0 on my XP 1900 @1.63 GHz?

Who is playing games with me?"

Jammy

Originally posted by HansArne
    My 1.7 will use 3 days 19 hours on gen 0 (WinXP) :sleepy:
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
    --William James

Mine is giving ridiculous time numbers as well numbers

My dual Linux box is running faster with the update.

YMMV.
    Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

Boinc'ing away
    Originally posted by Chinasaur
    My dual Linux box is running faster with the update.

YMMV.
    My Linux box is - but Windows isn't

/edit - My Linux box took 1.5 hours to do gen 0 - quickest time I've seen it do (normally took about 2-2.25 hours to run)
    Last edited by pfb; 07-22-2003 at 07:43 PM.

It kind of acts like the advanced processer features are not getting used in the windows client.

My P2-400 on Linux just lapped the P4 1.7 Win2k in a matter of just a few minutes.

maybe it is supposed to be that way

or maybe it is a result of the algorithm change

it looked to me like the .foldtrajlite.exe for windows went from under 3MB to over 7MB, can anyone confirm this? seems like a large change, was that much code needed to fix the bugs?

looks like i will be up early/early/earlier tomorrow to switch everything to linux
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Yup. I have ~7MB for the Windows clients also. My Linux boxen are running ~5.5MB clients.
    Train hard, fight easy

Here too! This client is way to slow! Also . . .I thought that the protein size was supposed to change also from 96??

Jammy

Originally posted by spldart
    Mine is giving ridiculous time numbers as well numbers
    --William James

This is the same protein with a different algorithm, so the 96 is correct. Whenever there is an update it will always start over with generation 0 as the old data does not apply.

I finished my first set of 250 in 4 days last week.
    My current set of 250 could complete in 2/3's of a year according to dfgui.
    :squint:

Question

So does that mean that we should erase the Generation Stats in our dfGUIs? I still have not received an answer to that question.

Jammy

Originally posted by Welnic
    This is the same protein with a different algorithm, so the 96 is correct. Whenever there is an update it will always start over with generation 0 as the old data does not apply.
    --William James

I erased the stats in dfgui and got it to recognize that my app had started over at gen 0...Try at your own risk though.

i am getting a slow gen 0 as well on windows nforce 2 machine

I went ahead and erased the stuff cuz I got tired of seeing the gaps in my stats.

Jammy

Originally posted by spldart
    I erased the stats in dfgui and got it to recognize that my app had started over at gen 0...Try at your own risk though.
    --William James

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Well, at least you have it working. On my Dual 2400 MP it Auto updated ok but when it goes to run the Client it just says "foldtrajlite has generated errors" Made a fresh Folder and installed the full version..SAME Not happy Jan.

Oh, and is it just me or has the Benchmark Option vanished
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

lost in space. Hey who took my bread crumbs. Now I cant find my way home.
    IB as usual has seemed to solve the problem. Look here
    http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=1
    grandmother. ver 3.0

Let me spare everyone from a raving maniac in a fit of anger

For Windows command line clients
    I deleted everything except
    dfGUI.exe, dfGUI.ini, autoupdate.cfg, and handle.txt
    I extracted the new downloaded client in there and fired up dfGUI.
    Worked for all the Duals, w2k and XP boxen.
    Does not make it run any faster, only makes it run.
    Hope it helps.

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Nope, does not help my duallie to work, still dead..if I was any happier I would drop an asteroid on the DF Server
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

Looks like the only folks putting up any stats of any significance, are still using the OLD client
    This can't be good for the science, something must have gone fubar somewhere.
    All my RMS values are still above 50!

Angry

How can one use the old client when as soon as I fired up my df after the server being down, and was able to upload my buffered generations, it automatically updated!

In fact, my two AMD XP boxes had four generations buffered and the T-Bird had three buffered before the change. I was able to upload them after the server went back up but where did the stats go too?

At the rate this new client is running it will be at least two days before any significant numbers show up for me.

Jammy :sleepy:

Originally posted by IronBits
    Looks like the only folks putting up any stats of any significance, are still using the OLD client
    --William James

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Well, this is a big load of elephant poo Most of the Folders at OCworkbench are having crashes every few minutes under Windows 98/2000/xp...all while Calculating Energy After all the bad press, many are not updating until the last minute waiting for a fix to the crashes and the fact Gen #0 will take 1 1/2 days to complete. So yes, the only impact on Stats are the ones not dumb enough to update their Windows computers

OCworkbench finally has someone who uploaded files with the new Client..only because he is using a Sparc. Our Team Stats are very sad due to the majority being Windoze users
    Last edited by Grumpy; 07-23-2003 at 01:34 AM.

It's not any better for those of us at OCAU.

Lot's of problems with the update and the new windows client that has the size and performance of an old grey ferguson tractor :sleepy:

I think we might have a couple of folders who are using FreeBSD or Linux, but for the rest, it's nothing.
    Crunching for OCAU

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    Originally posted by deranged128[OCAU]
    the new windows client that has the size and performance of an old grey ferguson tractor :sleepy:
    Hey! That tractor was actually a quite good tractor in the past
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

Same problems here. An over 7MB sized .exe and an estimated completion time for gen 0 of 26 hours.

This can't be right?
    Proud member of the Dutch Power Cows

Looks like I picked the wrong time to take a look at DF again...

Sounds to me like someone posted the debug version rather than the release version - that level of slow down combined with the increased size of the executable is about what I would expect under those circumstances.

Since I received this debug error that includes the line in the source code that failed I beleive I can safely say now that the reason for the bloat in the client .exe is for debug code.

I see the need for a beta test team for these clients.

I gave my P4 1.7GHz Win2K box a 4 1/2 hour head start.

Then I cranked up the P2 0.266GHz (266MHz) Linux box.
    It overtook the P4 in a little under 6 hours. Should be on gen 10 or 12 when the P4 finishes gen 0.

On another note:
    Checking the windows processes. Foldtrajlite.exe is constantly allocating and deallocating memory.

ALL
    It certainly looks like the new client is running in debug mode.

Interestingly my P4's are outperforming my Athlons by quite a significant amount. Perhaps there are some new optimizations
    in there.
    As everything is running so slowly it is difficult to draw conclusions at the moment.

Brian

Boinc'ing away
    After 12 hours of Folding I have:

1 Barton 2800+, running Mandrake on gen 63 (15%)
    1 P4 2.7, running Windows XP on gen 0 (56%)

I gave up on the dual AMDs running Windows due to them taking twice as long as the P4...

What's interesting is to see the 'active folders' count - currently ~200 when normally it's higher (around ~1,500 after a changeover) so looks like a lot of people haven't changed or are affected by the Windows problem...

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    MY dual 2400 MP says Client 1 will finish in 1:23:35:49, Client 2 1:17:12:51

Same situation here at Rebels Haven.....

People thinking about quitting too....

One of our guys opinion:
    I'll go a day or 2 like this, but from what progress I see, it's hard to justify the electric, time, space, etc.....
    This isn't helping the Project at all...I wonder how many are close to quitting or already have stoped folding?

Alien

Ok... started my client and after some heavy music a quick game on delta force I checked the client and its running at 2 days on gen 0.

I checked my task manager and it turns out 2 clitents where running so I closed one and got the df client to close the other...

Then I started the cliant again with the df controler and what do I see??? 2 df posesses. Once I closed one it was on 1 day to compleat. After 2 hours I whent to check on it and what do I see? its on 2 days again... ime going to continue folding cause what else can I do

Originally posted by PCZ
    Interestingly my P4's are outperforming my Athlons by quite a significant amount. Perhaps there are some new optimizations in there.
    Keep in mind that depending on how lucky the initial structure is a computer can easily crunch an order of magnitude faster or slower than average. The only meaningful comparison between computers is when using the -bench option.

And that will only be meanful when using the right (non-debug) version of the client.

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    The bench feature is missing I think

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast