Thread: Update timing

Thumbs down Update timing

Howard,

The timing of these updates does not help matters. By the time people have got the new client and are having problems, you have most likely returned to Real Life and an entire night (and much of the next day for the non-Americans) is lost. Massive disgruntling is achieved and users lost for ever.

As someone who is partially responsible for keeping the second biggest grocery etail site running 24/7 I understand the need for care with my users and all major updates have full regression timetables and resources on-hand.

Can we just have the old client put back as if it was a new one, so that we can all get on with some science? Spending 24 hours to run the first generation just to see what happens next is not my idea of a success!

</rant>

Suggestion: Do you need people to test each new update? Do you want some people to pre-test new updates?

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Sadly a lot of other DC Projects are probably getting an influx of new users

I do not mind being a guinea pig, but I need food/shelter and someone to change my shavings . Is this a plot to get us all to install linux
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

Hopefully this will be fixed shortly, our folding team is starting to get very discouraged...
    Too many computers, too little time......

The latest (7/23/03) Windows exe seems to be doing ok. Hope it lasts.

This is probably my last try for a while. Although I'm happy to run my box 24/7, folding for a good cause, I did NOT sign on to be a beta tester.

edit: New exe errors out at the end of first gen. That does it for me. May try DF again if Win client is ever fixed.
    Last edited by Big J; 07-23-2003 at 01:58 PM.

Let's get back to topic.

When will there be a new protein structure for crunching?

There was something mentioned of about a month per structure, but the client update was there first.

Can anyone tell me? Thanks a lot.

The next update will likely switch to another protein since we have for now optimized the parameters for this one (everyone notice we are already kicking the *ss of the last client?)
    Howard Feldman

The scores do seem to be dropping faster.. and I don't remember us getting down to 4.3A with the first PhaseII client.